Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Free Books

For those who are not aware of Google's free eBooks, let me recommend them
for furniture styles and hand tool woodworking. Hundreds of titles from the
19th and early 20th centuries.

Search: furniture
Click: more
Click: books
Click: Free Google eBooks (about halfway down the menu column)

These books can be downloaded in pdf format. Ping me if you need help.

LD

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:
For those who are not aware of Google's free eBooks, let me recommend
them for furniture styles and hand tool woodworking. Hundreds of titles
from the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Search: furniture
Click: more
Click: books
Click: Free Google eBooks (about halfway down the menu column)

These books can be downloaded in pdf format. Ping me if you need help.

LD

Following your directions, I quickly ran across:

The practical cabinet maker and furniture designer's assistant: with
essays ... By Frederick Thomas Hodgson

I only read the preface, but it was an interesting read (on the old
versus the new--and in this case, new is about 1910). Interesting stuff.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
For those who are not aware of Google's free eBooks, let me recommend
them for furniture styles and hand tool woodworking. Hundreds of titles
from the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Search: furniture
Click: more
Click: books
Click: Free Google eBooks (about halfway down the menu column)

These books can be downloaded in pdf format. Ping me if you need help.

LD

Following your directions, I quickly ran across:

The practical cabinet maker and furniture designer's assistant: with
essays ... By Frederick Thomas Hodgson

I only read the preface, but it was an interesting read (on the old versus
the new--and in this case, new is about 1910). Interesting stuff.

Bill

Yeah, you can learn a lot from some of this stuff. I haven't seen a treasure
trove like this since I worked in a large library 50 years ago! Picked up an
Illustrated History of the Civil War a few days ago. I knew google had free
eBooks, but just got more deeply into it recently. Warning: it can be a
gigantic Time Sink!

You know about the Library of Congress photo archive, right?

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/2011 2:34 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Yeah, you can learn a lot from some of this stuff. I haven't seen a
treasure trove like this since I worked in a large library 50 years ago!
Picked up an Illustrated History of the Civil War a few days ago. I knew
google had free eBooks, but just got more deeply into it recently.
Warning: it can be a gigantic Time Sink!

A tablet or ebook reader leverages the experience. I've got quite of a
few of them loaded onto my iPad.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:
wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
[...]

Did they have my baby pictures? I've been looking for them everywhere.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Politics is the entertainment branch
of industry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/5/2011 11:39 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
For those who are not aware of Google's free eBooks, let me recommend
them for furniture styles and hand tool woodworking. Hundreds of titles
from the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Search: furniture
Click: more
Click: books
Click: Free Google eBooks (about halfway down the menu column)

These books can be downloaded in pdf format. Ping me if you need help.

LD

The Google books is a great resource for what every you are researching.
If you are working in genealogy, there are many County and State
histories in their collections. These books have many biographies of
the citizens of each county.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

LOL ... a fully expenseable (Sec 179) business TOOL, of course!

Not kidding ... for about four months an iPad has basically taken the
place of my laptop for everyday, on-site business use. Easily access
e-mail, order/search for material and supplies from the interweb and,
using cloud services like DropBox, EverNote and GoogleDocs, can access
all project documents, drawings, plans, spreadsheets, portoflios, take
hand written notes and can print from most any wifi connection that has
a wireless printer attached. Clients love it because the screen size
makes viewing plans and documents much easier with instant, on the spot
access.

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days.

That's the problem, it's not a fullfledged computer ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Han wrote in
:

Swingman wrote in
:

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any
similar tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these
days.

That's the problem, it's not a fullfledged computer ...

Does it do usenet? I have an app for my iPhone, newstap, but I don't
really like it.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 07:55:45 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days.

I'd love to see someone design an entire kitchen on a 4" screen.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I'd love to see someone design an entire kitchen on a 4" screen.

I believe the iPad is almost 10 inches accross.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 6, 10:18*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 07:55:45 -0500, Swingman wrote:
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
*wrote in

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. *It's NOT a deductible expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days. *

I'd love to see someone design an entire kitchen on a 4" screen.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.

I think the screen is big enough, ( it *is* way bigger than a 4") but
when drawing, I would need something a bit more precise than my fat
fingers... something like a pen. I do know that the 'touch' type
screens do not have the resolution of a proper CAD tablet.
The new iPad2 has a trapdoor for a mini card. Who knows what we'll be
able to load in down the road...
That just got me thinking... when is somebody going to write an app
that will let you use an iPad as a tablet to input to a CAD system.
Via WiFi even, assuming it has enough resolution. (Not video
resolution, but the overlay (touch) resolution.)
After using it as an input to CAD, then you could save your rendering
to the iPad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 06 Apr 2011 15:30:49 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I'd love to see someone design an entire kitchen on a 4" screen.

I believe the iPad is almost 10 inches accross.

My answers could be:

1) Better, but not by a whole lot.
or
2) Well, _somebody_ had to say it.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/11 8:33 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days.

That's the problem, it's not a fullfledged computer ...

So what? What problem? It was never meant to be.
What's a "fullfledged computer" anyways?
My phone does a lot more than my first "fullfledged computer."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

-MIKE- wrote in :

On 4/6/11 8:33 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any
similar tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these
days.

That's the problem, it's not a fullfledged computer ...

So what? What problem? It was never meant to be.
What's a "fullfledged computer" anyways?
My phone does a lot more than my first "fullfledged computer."

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word, Excel,
Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/11 3:01 PM, Han wrote:
wrote in :

On 4/6/11 8:33 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any
similar tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these
days.

That's the problem, it's not a fullfledged computer ...

So what? What problem? It was never meant to be.
What's a "fullfledged computer" anyways?
My phone does a lot more than my first "fullfledged computer."

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word, Excel,
Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

It's not meant to replace a personal computer.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in
:

On 4/6/11 8:33 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any
similar tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these
days.

That's the problem, it's not a fullfledged computer ...

So what? What problem? It was never meant to be.
What's a "fullfledged computer" anyways?
My phone does a lot more than my first "fullfledged computer."

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word,
Excel, Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

a lot of those are available in the cloud somewhere, so all you need is a
browser. so yes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04/06/2011 01:47 PM, chaniarts wrote:
Han wrote:
wrote in
:

On 4/6/11 8:33 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any
similar tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these
days.

That's the problem, it's not a fullfledged computer ...

So what? What problem? It was never meant to be.
What's a "fullfledged computer" anyways?
My phone does a lot more than my first "fullfledged computer."

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word,
Excel, Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

a lot of those are available in the cloud somewhere, so all you need is a
browser. so yes.

http://docs.google.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day
operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible
expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days.

I have a tablet that runs the Android OS. Google makes Android. Google makes
SketchUp.

Rassssberrry! )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 14:25:41 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 04/06/2011 01:47 PM, chaniarts wrote:
Han wrote:
wrote in
:

On 4/6/11 8:33 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any
similar tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these
days.

That's the problem, it's not a fullfledged computer ...

So what? What problem? It was never meant to be.
What's a "fullfledged computer" anyways?
My phone does a lot more than my first "fullfledged computer."

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word,
Excel, Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

a lot of those are available in the cloud somewhere, so all you need is a
browser. so yes.

http://docs.google.com/

And "documents to go" does the "word thing" as well (on blackberry
and android, for sure, possibly others)- and MANY smart phones can run
"word lite" type applications like word mobile / office mobile - right
onboard - not from the cloud.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day
operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days.

It seems reasonable in 2-D. I think you'll have a long wait for
3-D--unless the processing occurs between keystrokes on a "cloud", or
something...

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
-MIKE- wrote in :

On 4/6/11 8:33 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any
similar tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these
days.

That's the problem, it's not a fullfledged computer ...

So what? What problem? It was never meant to be.
What's a "fullfledged computer" anyways?
My phone does a lot more than my first "fullfledged computer."

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word, Excel,
Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

See Android OS. Google makes it. Google makes SketchUp, Picasa (Photoshop
like), Google and others make word and excel equivalents for Android. A
number of tablets run Android. I've got one I paid $100 for. It only has a
7" screen, but larger Android tablets are available.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
[...]

I wondered whose kid that was ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/2011 3:01 PM, Han wrote:

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word, Excel,
Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

Bluetooth a keyboard to it and the iPad quite comfortably creates and
edits most Office products - Word, Excel, Powerpoint.

Quicken, Photoshop, CAD ... the tablet OS is still a bit immature for
fullblown apps of this type at this point, but, and it's a big BUT ....

John Gage of Sun was prescient when he uttered the phrase "... the
network is the computer ..." With the advent of cloud computing, the
"net" is indeed quickly "becoming the computer" and it won't be long
before you won't need local copies of programs like Photoshop ... as
above, you don't need most Office Suite software as we speak, which can
be accessed on the cloud via any device that can run an http client.

Already, a desktop has basically become totally unnecessary for what I
do, and a laptop appears not very far behind.

Then again, I've been around long enough to know that pendulums swing
and things go in circles.

Reckon there could well be another resurgence of steam engines before
long ... Steam Powered Aeroplane, anyone?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/2011 6:01 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day
operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible
expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any
similar tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these
days.

I have a tablet that runs the Android OS. Google makes Android. Google
makes SketchUp.

Rassssberrry! )

My DroidX could almost be considered a tablet ... aspirin sized, but
what the hell. g

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 4/6/2011 3:01 PM, Han wrote:

[...]

I guess I may have an iPad sooner than I thought I would ...

Thanks all.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 4/6/2011 3:01 PM, Han wrote:

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word, Excel,
Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

Bluetooth a keyboard to it and the iPad quite comfortably creates and
edits most Office products - Word, Excel, Powerpoint.

Quicken, Photoshop, CAD ... the tablet OS is still a bit immature for
fullblown apps of this type at this point, but, and it's a big BUT ....

I suspect that very few people ever use the full potential of full blown
apps.

John Gage of Sun was prescient when he uttered the phrase "... the network
is the computer ..." With the advent of cloud computing, the "net" is
indeed quickly "becoming the computer" and it won't be long before you
won't need local copies of programs like Photoshop ... as above, you don't
need most Office Suite software as we speak, which can be accessed on the
cloud via any device that can run an http client.

As long as you are in range of a satellite, at the very least, and are
willing to pay the connect charges.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day
operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible
expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days.

It seems reasonable in 2-D. I think you'll have a long wait for
3-D--unless the processing occurs between keystrokes on a "cloud", or
something...

Bill

Nintendo has a 3D version of their DS game machine on the market right now.

Yes, I know you meant 3D as in computing power but it takes a fair amount
for the games. MOF, PC power has been driven by the games market for the
past few years. Intel is rightfully concerned about the Killer App that will
need what they can build.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 6, 7:19*pm, Swingman wrote:

... Steam Powered Aeroplane, anyone? *

Not bloody likely. People on the flight-path would bitch and complain
when those steam powered planes would blow their whistles on approach
of the runway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day
operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible
expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days.

It seems reasonable in 2-D. I think you'll have a long wait for
3-D--unless the processing occurs between keystrokes on a "cloud", or
something...

Bill

Nintendo has a 3D version of their DS game machine on the market right now.

Yes, I know you meant 3D as in computing power

Well, I meant the computing power done by a graphics card, rather than
that done by the CPU, per se. It's mostly a different animal.

but it takes a fair
amount for the games. MOF, PC power has been driven by the games market
for the past few years. Intel is rightfully concerned about the Killer
App that will need what they can build.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-04-06 16:01:15 -0400, Han said:

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word,
Excel, Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

Yes -- between ilife and iWork, those functions are pretty well
covered. iWork contains Pages, which equates to Word (and will save
files as Word .docs and open .docx), Numbers, which equates to Excel
(and will save files as .xls and open .xlsx), and Keynote, which
equates to Powerpoint (and etc. ...).

If full compatibility with the Microsoft apps files is necessary, then
you'll find Apple's programs miss, but not by much... page geometry in
layouts down with Word breaks (but Word ISN't, no matter how hard the
world tries, a layout program!). Powerpoints with sound generally
remain mute. Excel files are just gonna look different, but most of the
world just uses Excel to build minimally functional databases, not
spreadsheets, don't they?

In terms of a presentation program, Keynote beats the hell out of
Powerpoint, if for nothing else that you can place an image on one
page, change the size and position of the image on the following page,
and marvel that the program animates the transformation on the page
transition. You have to see this to believe it!

iLife contains iPhoto, photo database cum photo editor, iMovie, a
fairly powerful video editor, and Garage Band, a music production tool
that, apparently, really shines on the iPad.

There are 3rd party apps that come closer to Photoshop's capability
than does iPhoto, though iPhoto does a respectable job of the common
photo enhancements like fixing red eye, lightening an underexposed
photo, or improving color in a photo.

Nope, I don't have an iPad. I have used the iWord products pretty
frequently to open files sent by clients using more recent versions on
MS Office apps than I have access to, but I only need the data from
those files, not the client's (generally awful) formatting.

One final benefit of the iPad, regardless of program functionality:
they seem to keep small children quiet and engaged for lengthy periods
of time. Don't you have grandchildren, Han?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-04-06 19:19:15 -0400, Swingman said:

John Gage of Sun was prescient when he uttered the phrase "... the
network is the computer ..." With the advent of cloud computing, the
"net" is indeed quickly "becoming the computer" and it won't be long
before you won't need local copies of programs like Photoshop ... as
above, you don't need most Office Suite software as we speak, which can
be accessed on the cloud via any device that can run an http client.

yeahbut. If you're on a data plan (this applies more to phones and
tablets) that limits the amount of data before you start racking up
surprise chages, well, SURPRISE!

Also worth considering: upload/download speeds. If you're on dial-up,
you're gonna find anything other than text sux. If you're on cable and
all your neighbors are streaming movies, you're also gonna find that
anything other than text sux.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in

[...]

Womder where the graphics on the DS 3D are processed ...

but it takes a fair
amount for the games. MOF, PC power has been driven by the games market
for the past few years. Intel is rightfully concerned about the Killer
App that will need what they can build.

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Steve wrote in news:4d9d2ba0$0$4163
:

On 2011-04-06 16:01:15 -0400, Han said:

[...]

You make it sound more and more enticing, Steve!
4 Grandkids, between 15 years and 3 months ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/7/2011 5:22 AM, Han wrote:

You make it sound more and more enticing, Steve!
4 Grandkids, between 15 years and 3 months ...

Han, Check out my FaceBook profile to see my youngest grandson (3) in
the UK pounding on the iPad I gave their mother for her B'day a few
weeks back.

Kids love'em. The boys have an iPod touch they've been sharing with
their Mom, so they have the technology down cold.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
news
On 4/7/2011 5:22 AM, Han wrote:

You make it sound more and more enticing, Steve!
4 Grandkids, between 15 years and 3 months ...

Han, Check out my FaceBook profile to see my youngest grandson (3) in
the UK pounding on the iPad I gave their mother for her B'day a few
weeks back.

Kids love'em. The boys have an iPod touch they've been sharing with
their Mom, so they have the technology down cold.

I believe you, Karl!! Can't find the pictures, though ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:01:45 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
On 4/6/2011 7:44 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in

For a contractor, one of the best tools around for day to day
operations.

I was kidding of course!
I believe it from what I've heard about it. It's NOT a deductible
expense
for a retiree like me, although it is an option when this laptop dies.

At this point I could almost forego a laptop if the iPad, or any similar
tablet, would run programs like SketchUp ... one of these days.

I have a tablet that runs the Android OS. Google makes Android. Google makes
SketchUp.

Rassssberrry! )

What are you guys paying for voice/data packages per month?

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

free books ahmad UK diy 2 February 21st 08 10:18 PM
free books ahmad UK diy 1 February 20th 08 09:55 PM