Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser[_3_] Lobby Dosser[_3_] is offline

Default Free Books

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 4/6/2011 3:01 PM, Han wrote:

I'm talking about the iPad replacing my laptop. Can it run Word, Excel,
Quicken, Photoshop, or their equivalents?

Bluetooth a keyboard to it and the iPad quite comfortably creates and
edits most Office products - Word, Excel, Powerpoint.

Quicken, Photoshop, CAD ... the tablet OS is still a bit immature for
fullblown apps of this type at this point, but, and it's a big BUT ....

I suspect that very few people ever use the full potential of full blown
apps.

John Gage of Sun was prescient when he uttered the phrase "... the network
is the computer ..." With the advent of cloud computing, the "net" is
indeed quickly "becoming the computer" and it won't be long before you
won't need local copies of programs like Photoshop ... as above, you don't
need most Office Suite software as we speak, which can be accessed on the
cloud via any device that can run an http client.

As long as you are in range of a satellite, at the very least, and are
willing to pay the connect charges.