Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Odd; Festool price display policy at Woodcraft- Baltimore

"TimDrouillard" wrote in message
No I have not actually used one yet. All the reviews I've read rate it
quite highly. I don't recall any of the reviewers mentioning anything
about having a problem with seeing the cut line nor the blade, but I'll be
on the lookout for it now.
The biggest complaint I've heard it with regards to the price.

Thanks.

Give us a review! ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 27, 9:54*am, "Leon" wrote:
"TimDrouillard" wrote in message

No I have not actually used one yet. All the reviews I've read rate it
quite highly. I don't recall any of the reviewers mentioning anything
about having a problem with seeing the cut line nor the blade, but I'll be
on the lookout for it now.
The biggest complaint I've heard it with regards to the price.

Thanks.

Give us a review! *;~)

I can add one thing... there are times when either configuration works
a little better, but if I were to have only ONE... it'd be a barrel
grip.
The barrel will rotate in your hand, 360°, in effect, it adds another
axis.

A while ago, I was cutting out a sink hole for a drop-in sink. The
back side of the cut was under the windowsill and my top-handle
Milwaukee wouldn't go under the sill for me to complete the cut. My
Bosch 'just' made it under the sill. Caveat: One must remember that
cutting in a direction that puts the side-mounted switch (on the
Bosch) between the barrel and the wall makes shutting the saw off
impossible.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Feb 27, 9:54 am, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

My preference is the top handle but mostly because when I was kid and was
using my dad's barrel grip, the one with a metal exterior, the body got
quite hot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2011 3:04 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On Feb 27, 9:54 am, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I just walked out of the shop an hour or so ago after using my Bosch top
handle and wishing the whole time I'd had the barrel grip.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-02-26 01:13:49 -0500, Bill said:

I have a Rockler and Woodcraft within driving distance. I think
Rockler's prices are often about 25% more than Woodcraft's--which helps
them complensate for all of those 20%-off coupons they send out every
week. I'd rather they not sent the coupons, and just adjusted their
pricing. Like some other posters here, I'm getting impatient with
pricing "games".

Bill in IN.

Odd -- we're talking about the same stores, but my perception is the
reverse. Starting buying primarily at Woodcraft, now generally shop
Rockler.

Woodcraft does have better depth in turning chisels (i.e., more than
just Sorby), including a decent house brand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 2/27/2011 3:04 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On Feb 27, 9:54 am,
wrote:
[...]

)

KC:

When recently reviewing comments on the Bosch barrel grip, a
hot hand after
some use was the top complaint.

What quantifies as "some use" and how sensitive some people
are to heat are
impossible to determine from the reading.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 2/27/2011 3:04 PM, Leon wrote:

I just walked out of the shop an hour or so ago after using my Bosch top
handle and wishing the whole time I'd had the barrel grip.

Shold'a picked up one of those too. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message

When recently reviewing comments on the Bosch barrel grip, a hot hand
after
some use was the top complaint.

Wow I would have thought that would have been solved years ago with the
plastic bodies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2011 3:54 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/27/2011 3:04 PM, Leon wrote:

I just walked out of the shop an hour or so ago after using my Bosch top
handle and wishing the whole time I'd had the barrel grip.

Shold'a picked up one of those too. ;~)

Damn ... I thought Festool was pricey.

Don't let C-less see the price of Makita 1/4" 18v impact drivers these days.

Shheeeeh ... another fifty and I coulda bought another Festool something
or other. ;~)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 27, 4:57*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message

When recently reviewing comments on the Bosch barrel grip, a hot hand
after
some use was the top complaint.

Wow I would have thought that *would have been solved years ago with the
plastic bodies.

I have yet to find it too hot to handle. It gets warm...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 16:16:11 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/27/2011 3:54 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/27/2011 3:04 PM, Leon wrote:

I just walked out of the shop an hour or so ago after using my Bosch top
handle and wishing the whole time I'd had the barrel grip.

Shold'a picked up one of those too. ;~)

Damn ... I thought Festool was pricey.

Don't let C-less see the price of Makita 1/4" 18v impact drivers these days.

Over the Holidays Lowes had the Bosch 18V Impact driver and 18V drill for
$200. I use the 12V more often, but the 18V sure came in handy driving some
#10x4" screws.

Shheeeeh ... another fifty and I coulda bought another Festool something
or other. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-02-26 01:13:49 -0500, Bill said:

I have a Rockler and Woodcraft within driving distance. I think
Rockler's prices are often about 25% more than Woodcraft's--which
helps them complensate for all of those 20%-off coupons they send out
every week. I'd rather they not sent the coupons, and just adjusted
their pricing. Like some other posters here, I'm getting impatient
with pricing "games".

Bill in IN.

Odd -- we're talking about the same stores, but my perception is the
reverse. Starting buying primarily at Woodcraft, now generally shop
Rockler.

Well, take a Shelfield marking gauge for instance. One us about $30 at
Woodcraft and IIRC the same one is $43 at Rockler. Of course, each
store has stock the other lacks.

Woodcraft does have better depth in turning chisels (i.e., more than
just Sorby), including a decent house brand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2011 3:54 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/27/2011 3:04 PM, Leon wrote:

I just walked out of the shop an hour or so ago after using my Bosch top
handle and wishing the whole time I'd had the barrel grip.

Shold'a picked up one of those too. ;~)

Damn ... I thought Festool was pricey.

Don't let C-less see the price of Makita 1/4" 18v impact drivers these days.

Fooled YOU! I bought a BTD141 kit last year before starting a deck
for a client. I love it, too. The 3.2AH stacks of lithiums bring
the tool up to a pound lighter than my old Bosch 23614. See, I'm not
just a one-trick HF pony. ;

Shheeeeh ... another fifty and I coulda bought another Festool something
or other. ;~)

Not EVEN! You can buy one Festering OR two Saurstops OR 'lebentytree
other powah tools for the same price.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Been walking around all afternoon looking for something to screw!

------------------
Now THAT is a ringing endorsement!

A power tool that changes you into a teenage boy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2011 8:43 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote

Been walking around all afternoon looking for something to screw!

------------------
Now THAT is a ringing endorsement!

A power tool that changes you into a teenage boy.

Hope springs eternal ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
eb.com...

Yep, there are a lot of websites out there that offer all kinds of
information EXCEPT prices. I leave them immediately. I spend enormous
amount of time on the web, both at work and at home. I don't have time to
talk to shiny shoed salesman.

A lack of pricing is usually a bad sign if only because they want to make
you go through their whole sales pitch so by the time you find out the price
you're already hooked. Infomercials often use that approach.

Same with all those sites who want me to "register". If I have to
register to find out about your product or service, you must be selling
crap. Or be a crook.

Or they want to pester you with spam for the next year, or sell your address
to seven other outfits that will spam you senseless.

Honest people who offer good products and service don't have to conduct
themselves like con men.

Sadly so much of the public chooses to buy crap from crooks that that
sometimes the good merchants have to play hardball just to keep the doors
open, by which I mean they have to get slicker and more aggressive in their
sales techniques (as opposed to selling crap or otherwise ripping off the
customer).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2011 3:54 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/27/2011 3:04 PM, Leon wrote:

I just walked out of the shop an hour or so ago after using my Bosch
top
handle and wishing the whole time I'd had the barrel grip.

Shold'a picked up one of those too. ;~)

Damn ... I thought Festool was pricey.

Don't let C-less see the price of Makita 1/4" 18v impact drivers these
days.

Over the Holidays Lowes had the Bosch 18V Impact driver and 18V drill for
$200. I use the 12V more often, but the 18V sure came in handy driving
some
#10x4" screws.

I was fortunate enough for someone, don't know who, to give me a Bosch
Impactor 18volt unit. I have a Makita 6 year old 12 volt impact driver and
that is still the one that I reach for first. I found that the 12 volt
Makita had no trouble twisting off a black 1/4" hex to 1/4" socket adapter
when driving 5/16" lag bolts that were 3.5" long going into the edge of
predrilled 2x's. I am not really sure how much more umph I get out of the
18 volt Bosch over the 12 volt Makita as using them side by side for the
same purpose I cannot tell any difference except for run time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:43:53 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

.. .

On 2/27/2011 3:54 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/27/2011 3:04 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

According to the Makita site, their 12V Li-ion impact driver delivers
800in-lbs (same as the 12V Bosch). The 18V Bosch is 1500in-lbs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:50:24 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:32:51 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/27/2011 6:39 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Over the Holidays Lowes had the Bosch 18V Impact driver and 18V drill
for
$200. I use the 12V more often, but the 18V sure came in handy
driving
some
#10x4" screws.

How do you like it?

I love it. The 12V version was an eye-opener. I'll never use a drill
drive a screw again.

I kinda thought that way but when it comes to furniture and the smaller #7
pocket hole screws and regular square drive #8 going into hard wood you
can
very easily split the wood if you put a little too much on it. I still
prefer the drill driver for applications where too much torque might screw
things up. For rough application where appearance at the screw location
is
not a factor the impact sees a lot of action.

Yeah, the impactors are designed for construction applications, but
once you use one for awhile, you get to know their trigger/torque
factors and can control them fairly well.

I'm pretty familiar, 6 years so far..., not saying that it is impossible but
when I am in a production mode I would rather pull the trigger until the
clutch clatters and move on to the next. I certainly have used the impact
for quicky situations and certainly when setting up and attaching kitchen
cabnets to the walls.

For predrilled holes, I'd still use a drilldriver on furniture.

LOL and I try to use the higher speed of the impact for drilling, think the
Snappy system.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"TimDrouillard" wrote in message
I have the 12v Milwaukie Impact driver, and I love it. Especially the fact
that it has an adjustable clutch on it that many including my Makita don't
have.

Humm good to know, I knew Panasonic had that feature.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:43:53 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

. ..

On 2/27/2011 3:54 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/27/2011 3:04 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

No doube however I think the biggest advantage is going to be run time as I
think for most applications the extra torque may tear dattachments up
faster. I have not yet run across a fastener that my 12volt impact will not
drive with a fully charged battery. Now if my 18 volt Bosch and a 3/8"
dirve instead of the 1/4" drive.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I've used the impactor exclusively for hanging cabinets. MUCH
better tool, much quicker job. 1/4" hex heads are king there, with a
1/4" hex to 1/4" square adaptor and magnetic bit.

For predrilled holes, I'd still use a drilldriver on furniture.

LOL and I try to use the higher speed of the impact for drilling, think the
Snappy system.

I have and use both. I'm not entirely happy with the impactor batting
the drillbits around, but it gets it done in a quick manner.

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 16:54:54 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

.. .

On 2/27/2011 3:54 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/27/2011 3:04 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I think my Makita is 1430 in/lb, enough to take the wheels off my
truck. Strong enough for me. I actually twisted a 1/4-1/2" adaptor
in two with the Bosch 14.4v Impactor, and a 1/4-1/4" adaptor with the
Makita, installing 1/2x6" lag bolts for a deck ledger board. Try that
with a drilldriver sometime. g

HF, of course. I finally bought a US-made 1/4-1/4 adaptor and it has
held up better...so far. And now I just run the lags up with an
impactor, then tighten with the 1/2" ratchet.

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
-- Doris Lessing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, I've used the impactor exclusively for hanging cabinets. MUCH
better tool, much quicker job. 1/4" hex heads are king there, with a
1/4" hex to 1/4" square adaptor and magnetic bit.

I've never heard this term "impactor" before this thread - but I do lead a
sheltered life... To me, it's always been an impact gun. Is this a new
term that the industry is introducing?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 22:19:26 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, I've used the impactor exclusively for hanging cabinets. MUCH
better tool, much quicker job. 1/4" hex heads are king there, with a
1/4" hex to 1/4" square adaptor and magnetic bit.

I've never heard this term "impactor" before this thread - but I do lead a
sheltered life... To me, it's always been an impact gun. Is this a new
term that the industry is introducing?

Yes. Air impact guns are used in the automotive industry while Bosch
termed their battery powered guns Impactors. They use rotary hammers
and 1/4" hex drives.

It probably started as a marketing ploy, but the term differentiates
them from standard spinny drill models.

Hammer drills pound axially while these are rotary hammers. They can
drive foot-long screws through many different materials due to their
overwhelmingly powerful torque.

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
-- Doris Lessing

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, I've used the impactor exclusively for hanging cabinets. MUCH
better tool, much quicker job. 1/4" hex heads are king there, with a
1/4" hex to 1/4" square adaptor and magnetic bit.

I've never heard this term "impactor" before this thread - but I do lead a
sheltered life... To me, it's always been an impact gun. Is this a new
term that the industry is introducing?

Yes. Air impact guns are used in the automotive industry while Bosch
termed their battery powered guns Impactors. They use rotary hammers
and 1/4" hex drives.

Hummmm
In the automotive profession for about 23 years, never heard of an impact
gun, ??? aways refered to as an impact wrench and or air ratchets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, I've used the impactor exclusively for hanging cabinets. MUCH
better tool, much quicker job. 1/4" hex heads are king there, with a
1/4" hex to 1/4" square adaptor and magnetic bit.

I've never heard this term "impactor" before this thread - but I do lead a
sheltered life... To me, it's always been an impact gun. Is this a new
term that the industry is introducing?

Yes. Air impact guns are used in the automotive industry while Bosch
termed their battery powered guns Impactors. They use rotary hammers
and 1/4" hex drives.

Hummmm
In the automotive profession for about 23 years, never heard of an impact
gun, ??? aways refered to as an impact wrench and or air ratchets.

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Zip gun?? Really? That has a whole different meaning in my collection
of "LATEST CRIME STORIES"
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, I've used the impactor exclusively for hanging cabinets. MUCH
better tool, much quicker job. 1/4" hex heads are king there, with a
1/4" hex to 1/4" square adaptor and magnetic bit.

I've never heard this term "impactor" before this thread - but I do lead a
sheltered life... Â*To me, it's always been an impact gun. Â*Is this a new
term that the industry is introducing?

Yes. Air impact guns are used in the automotive industry while Bosch
termed their battery powered guns Impactors. They use rotary hammers
and 1/4" hex drives.

Hummmm
In the automotive profession for about 23 years, never heard of an impact
gun, ??? Â*aways refered to as an impact wrench and or air ratchets.

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. Â*And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Â*Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

Zip gun?? Really? That has a whole different meaning in my collection
of "LATEST CRIME STORIES"

Yep, another non-exclusive nickname. Used for zipping lug nuts on and
off at the tire stores.

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:31:27 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Mar 3, 3:27 pm, Larry wrote:

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Doesn't sound like it's suitable for "balls-on exact (level)" work like
I read about here earlier this week....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 18:26:25 -0500, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Yep, another non-exclusive nickname. Used for zipping lug nuts on and
off at the tire stores.

Doesn't sound like it's suitable for "balls-on exact (level)" work like
I read about here earlier this week....

The sound of the megaphone breaks the strained silence with:

"Put the cornflakes box down and back away from the table!"

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

Many quality air ratchets certainly are impacts, cheap ones simply spin.
Snap on has/had them years ago. Removing valve cover bolts the air ratchets
would clatter untill finally the bolt would break loose. They would not
simply blow air and do nothing.

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Hummmm
In the automotive profession for about 23 years, never heard of an impact
gun, ??? aways refered to as an impact wrench and or air ratchets.

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

The zip gun, was an air operated chisel/cutter, not used for removing with
out damage a nut or bolt and certainly not for replacing a nut or bolt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Hummmm
In the automotive profession for about 23 years, never heard of an
impact
gun, ??? aways refered to as an impact wrench and or air ratchets.

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

Zip gun?? Really? That has a whole different meaning in my collection
of "LATEST CRIME STORIES"

Yep, another non-exclusive nickname. Used for zipping lug nuts on and
off at the tire stores.

WRONG

A zip gun is an air operated chisel, it does not spin.

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Tools-He.../dp/B002E04UIM

http://www.ajaxtools.com/prodlist.php?dept_id=2

http://www.toolsource.com/extra-heav...7-p-75026.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Hummmm
In the automotive profession for about 23 years, never heard of an impact
gun, ??? aways refered to as an impact wrench and or air ratchets.

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

In case you have never seen an impact air ratchet, it is not a new thing but
IR has one that now competes with standare impact wrenches in terms of
torque. Way back when 50~70 ft pounds was not uncommon, now in excess of
200 ft pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJbQt...eature=related