Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festool DOMINO Affecting Leigh FMT Price?

Been going thru the Highland Hardware catalogue that came today.
On page 65 I see that the Leigh FMT jig price has been cut from
$799 to $599 - about a 25% price reduction (assuming that it was,
in fact, selling for $799). And this is the FMT's "base price" - jig
and
one set of five 5/16" Joint Guides and one 5/16" HSS up-cut spiral
end mill bit.

For another
$38 you get the 8 piece 1/4" Joint Guide Set
$20 you get the 4 piece 3/8" Joint Guide Set
or for
$75 you get "All three Guide Set Sizes"

Does the Leigh FMT use only one size bit - a 5/16" spriral up-cut bit?

Wonder if the Festool DOMINO, and the positive response it's
getting in several of the woodworking magazines has anything to
do with the $200 price reduction on the FMT?

OR - is Leigh going to come out with one or more new versions
of their FMT - sort of like they did before announcing their
new DT jigs?

Interesting.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message

Wonder if the Festool DOMINO, and the positive response it's
getting in several of the woodworking magazines has anything to
do with the $200 price reduction on the FMT?

OR - is Leigh going to come out with one or more new versions
of their FMT - sort of like they did before announcing their
new DT jigs?

Maybe it's just Festool attempting to trounce any possible competition into
complete submission before they even get started.

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote in news:46D7A9CE.2FB0
@accesscom.com:

[...]

I was always of the opinion that the FMT was overpriced at $800. A fine
piece of gear, just staggeringly priced, when all was considered.

And I have been known to buy some pricey stuff, at times. Ask my wife.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
[...]

When you basically have a one of a kind tool, you charge what the market
will bare. When competition steps in, you become competitive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
Been going thru the Highland Hardware catalogue that came today.
On page 65 I see that the Leigh FMT jig price has been cut from
$799 to $599 - about a 25% price reduction (assuming that it was,
in fact, selling for $799).

I paid $699 for my Leigh FMT in february 2006, from Lee Valley.
I see that they now sell it for $599.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ogee wrote:

charlieb wrote:
Been going thru the Highland Hardware catalogue that came today.
On page 65 I see that the Leigh FMT jig price has been cut from
$799 to $599 - about a 25% price reduction (assuming that it was,
in fact, selling for $799).

I paid $699 for my Leigh FMT in february 2006, from Lee Valley.
I see that they now sell it for $599.

Slick how they use "MSRP" (manufacturer's suggested retail price)
as the reference for their price reductions. Lee Valley usually
has good prices - but I doubt they undersell the competition by
12% on things in the $700 to $800 price range.

These "new price" things are getting like Horse Power.

charlie b