Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Odd; Festool price display policy at Woodcraft- Baltimore

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:59:50 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 13:42:13 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

Many quality air ratchets certainly are impacts, cheap ones simply spin.
Snap on has/had them years ago. Removing valve cover bolts the air ratchets
would clatter untill finally the bolt would break loose. They would not
simply blow air and do nothing.

I'm from Missouri: Cites, please?

Seriously, I've never heard of an impact ratchet, air or otherwise.

Post Google: It looks like MAC had one of those white elephants for a
short while. I've requested clarification from them.

--
Life is full of little surprises.
--Pandora
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 10:02:11 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Hummmm
In the automotive profession for about 23 years, never heard of an impact
gun, ??? aways refered to as an impact wrench and or air ratchets.

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

The zip gun, was an air operated chisel/cutter, not used for removing with
out damage a nut or bolt and certainly not for replacing a nut or bolt.

You know what? I think you're right. Synapse misfire w/ flatulence.
Mea culpa.

--
Life is full of little surprises.
--Pandora
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 10:24:29 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Hummmm
In the automotive profession for about 23 years, never heard of an impact
gun, ??? aways refered to as an impact wrench and or air ratchets.

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

In case you have never seen an impact air ratchet, it is not a new thing but
IR has one that now competes with standare impact wrenches in terms of
torque. Way back when 50~70 ft pounds was not uncommon, now in excess of
200 ft pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJbQt...eature=related

How about that? I sit corrected. (Too lazy to stand.)

P.S: Wull, they weren't that way back when I was wrenching, in the
last century.

--
Life is full of little surprises.
--Pandora
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

Many quality air ratchets certainly are impacts, cheap ones simply spin.
Snap on has/had them years ago. Removing valve cover bolts the air
ratchets
would clatter untill finally the bolt would break loose. They would not
simply blow air and do nothing.

I'm from Missouri: Cites, please?

Seriously, I've never heard of an impact ratchet, air or otherwise.

Post Google: It looks like MAC had one of those white elephants for a
short while. I've requested clarification from them.

Simply Google Snap-On, Impact air ratchet or Ingersal Rand Impact air
ratchet or look at my reply with a link to a YouTube link to the IR Impact
air ratchet that take on standard Impact Wrenches. Impact ratchets are not
new, but the +200 foot pound torque ones are relative new.

These have been common for 30+ years, there are a bunch. YOu just have to
know what you are looking for.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJv_HPBz-Y

And then the more modern monster from IR, 180 ft pounds of torque

http://www.coptool.com/blog/2010/06/...rhead_air.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Actually they were, I used them to break loose shock studs and lower
mounting bolts in the 70's when I was going to school and helping the
mechanics in the tire store I worked at part time. GM front shocks simply
had a nut that mounted sirectly to the piston and connected to the upper
a-frame. The impact air ratchet was a time saver on those. Theer was
basically no place to put a wrench to prevent the piston from spinning
except at the very top. A wrench there and a box end wrench on the nut was
way too slow. The impact ratchet would break the nut loose and spin it off
with caked on grime.