Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Odd; Festool price display policy at Woodcraft- Baltimore

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 13:42:13 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 22:19:26 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, I've used the impactor exclusively for hanging cabinets. MUCH
better tool, much quicker job. 1/4" hex heads are king there, with a
1/4" hex to 1/4" square adaptor and magnetic bit.

I've never heard this term "impactor" before this thread - but I do lead a
sheltered life... To me, it's always been an impact gun. Is this a new
term that the industry is introducing?

Yes. Air impact guns are used in the automotive industry while Bosch
termed their battery powered guns Impactors. They use rotary hammers
and 1/4" hex drives.

Hummmm
In the automotive profession for about 23 years, never heard of an impact
gun, ??? aways refered to as an impact wrench and or air ratchets.

Ratchets aren't impact tools, Leon. And the particular term
"impactor" didn't come about until Bosch coined it for their product,
I don't believe. Other references to the term were astronomical and
the auto industry used "impact", "impact wrench", or "zip gun."

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo