Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Odd; Festool price display policy at Woodcraft- Baltimore

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 16:47:03 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:50:24 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:32:51 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/27/2011 6:39 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Over the Holidays Lowes had the Bosch 18V Impact driver and 18V drill
for
$200. I use the 12V more often, but the 18V sure came in handy
driving
some
#10x4" screws.

How do you like it?

I love it. The 12V version was an eye-opener. I'll never use a drill
drive a screw again.

I kinda thought that way but when it comes to furniture and the smaller #7
pocket hole screws and regular square drive #8 going into hard wood you
can
very easily split the wood if you put a little too much on it. I still
prefer the drill driver for applications where too much torque might screw
things up. For rough application where appearance at the screw location
is
not a factor the impact sees a lot of action.

Yeah, the impactors are designed for construction applications, but
once you use one for awhile, you get to know their trigger/torque
factors and can control them fairly well.

I'm pretty familiar, 6 years so far..., not saying that it is impossible but
when I am in a production mode I would rather pull the trigger until the
clutch clatters and move on to the next. I certainly have used the impact
for quicky situations and certainly when setting up and attaching kitchen
cabnets to the walls.

Yeah, I've used the impactor exclusively for hanging cabinets. MUCH
better tool, much quicker job. 1/4" hex heads are king there, with a
1/4" hex to 1/4" square adaptor and magnetic bit.

For predrilled holes, I'd still use a drilldriver on furniture.

LOL and I try to use the higher speed of the impact for drilling, think the
Snappy system.

I have and use both. I'm not entirely happy with the impactor batting
the drillbits around, but it gets it done in a quick manner.

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.