Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Why I Never Wear Safety Goggles...

...subtitled, Thank God For Faceshields.

This story starts, as do most stories of accidents, with a poor choice on my
part: trying to make a miter cut with a chop saw on a piece that, in
retrospect, was really too small to try to hold with my free hand. I should've
used a clamp.

Apparently, it shifted a bit when the saw blade hit it, and the blade grabbed
it out of my fingers and -- somehow -- threw it *toward* me. At about mouth
level. Right into the faceshield, so hard that _it knocked it off my head_.

I'm basically unhurt: my left thumb has a minor bruise from the workpiece
being wrenched out of my hand, I have superficial cuts on two knuckles from
sharp edges on the wood, and another bruise on my left pec where the wood hit
after bouncing off the faceshield. Still haven't found where it went after
that...

Lessons:
1. Clamp small workpieces.
2. Wood sometimes can be ejected in unexpected directions.
3. Clamp small workpieces.
4. Respect the power of a kickback.
5. Clamp small workpieces.

And, last but not least... if you've been around this ng for any length of
time, you've heard me say this befo You have other things on your face
besides your eyes that are worth protecting! That's not the only reason I use
a faceshield instead of goggles -- but it's the only one that's on my mind
right now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
[...]

Good on ya. You wore a face shield. I bet the missus appreciated it. I have
worn one for years. Which is attached to a hard hat. Some folks thing I am
overdoing it, being over cautious, being a safety freak, etc., etc.

But that is OK. I started doing this when doing metalwork years ago and do
it around almost any kind of power tool operation now. I have had enough
things hit that mask and helmet to know it is a good idea. Nothing like a
good thunk on the safety equipment to realize that you just protected
yourself from the biggest danger in the shop. YOURSELF!!!

Another comment. The above remarks are another reason why you can never
have too many clamps. I had a metal grinding job recently that just turned
out to be too dangerous to pursue. I went to Harbor Freight and bought about
20 clamps. That job went well. And I have used the clamps on a number of
woodworking jobs since, Clamps are universal, You need them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 19, 5:06*pm, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
[...]

You can walk on a wooden leg, eat with false teeth, but you can't see
**** through a glass eye.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2010 5:06 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

[...]

Mine is attached to a hard hat and hearing protectors and a powered dust
filter.

Some folks
thing I am overdoing it, being over cautious, being a safety freak,
etc., etc.

But that is OK. I started doing this when doing metalwork years ago and
do it around almost any kind of power tool operation now. I have had
enough things hit that mask and helmet to know it is a good idea.
Nothing like a good thunk on the safety equipment to realize that you
just protected yourself from the biggest danger in the shop. YOURSELF!!!

Another comment. The above remarks are another reason why you can never
have too many clamps. I had a metal grinding job recently that just
turned out to be too dangerous to pursue. I went to Harbor Freight and
bought about 20 clamps. That job went well. And I have used the clamps
on a number of woodworking jobs since, Clamps are universal, You need them.

Yep. And in variety, don't have a clamp monoculture.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stuart" wrote in message
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
And, last but not least... if you've been around this ng for any length
of time, you've heard me say this befo You have other things on your
face besides your eyes that are worth protecting! That's not the only
reason I use a faceshield instead of goggles -- but it's the only one
that's on my mind right now.

Yup.

My daughter is a blacksmith. Two or three years ago I was over there and
we were cleaning up some work ready for finishing, using angle grinders
fitted with wire cup brushes. When a piece of wire from one of those hits
your face it really stings so I was using a face shield.

I heard a yell from my daughter, who was just wearing safety spectacles
and turned to see her with a piece of wire sticking out at right angles
from her forehead. The only thing that stopped it going any further was
the bone. It didn't bleed too much but I gather it really hurt.

I have an aversion to pain - and to blood if it's mine - so I always wear
a face shield when doing anything where there is a risk of my face
getting hit. I also wear a leather apron too, because those bits of wire
will easily pass through ordinary clothing and stick in your belly.

The guy she works with is a nurse. He is currently working in mental
health but did his time in A&E like everyone else. If you don't wear
proper safety gear he will remind you of some of the things he has seen.

You really don't want to know!

I have picked a lot of wires out of myself all over the place. Face, legs,
stomach, chest. I should wear a face shield more often. Need to get some
new ones, but they seem to get scratched up so fast.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 19, 3:19*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
..subtitled, Thank God For Faceshields.

Yep. I experienced my epiphany while standing in front of, what is
often considered a pretty benign tool, my wood lathe.

I was roughing a 18" to 24" length of 2-1/2" square stock and had it
pretty well rounded when "thunk". I didn't see the stock leave the
lathe; or anything else except a vision flash and blur, and felt my
head get jolted back sharply. When I regained my senses my hands
still held the lathe tool in work position but the work-stock was
resting across my arms where it landed after it hit my shield. Then I
felt a little warm moisture running down my nose. The work-stock had
hit my face shield so hard it deflected against my glasses and cut the
bridge of my nose. The front of the head band also abraded my
forehead slightly. The face shield panel was not broken but it had an
eye-level scuff that required it to be replaced.

Apparently a weak spot in the dead end of the work-stock chipped out
allowing it to be thrown out from the live end. It happened 4-5 years
ago but I still get a chill when I think what could have happened if
the shield had not been in place.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Just one of the reasons I don't use a miter saw in the shop any more. A
face shield does not cover everything,;~) I have been hit in the arms and
stomach and that too makes you stop and think about what you are doing. I
find that holding small parts with your hand is a dangerious proposition. I
typically will cut every thing on the TS or BS these days and will use a
pencil erasor to hold the small parts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4c97e64c$0$10436
:

A hand screw clamp to hold small pieces is your friend around a band
saw.

There is no place for small pieces around a table saw unless you have
a sled and clamps.

Lew

Agreed. Had a small piece kick back and hit me in the dust mask a few
weeks ago. (Last time I'm cutting such a small piece (2"x4") on that
table saw.)

I've got smaller power saws for cutting the really small stuff. The HF
Mini-chop saw has a clamp to hold the piece put and works pretty well.
I've also got a mini table saw that'll handle pieces down to about 1/2"
safely. (Keep a push block handy, that's way too close to the blade for
your fingers!)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:28:02 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

[...]

Small parts can be held with brads, hotglue, double-sided tape, toggle
clamps, and pencils. If I ever attack a blade with a small part in my
hand, it's held very loosely. If the part catches, it goes into the
blade -without- my finner, thankyouverymuch.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Steve B" wrote:
... I should wear a face shield more often. Need to get some
new ones, but they seem to get scratched up so fast.

Entire new shield, including headpiece, is about $15 at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Replacement visors for same can be procured from Do-It-Best hardware stores
for about half that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Steve B"
wrote:
... I should wear a face shield more often. Need to get some
new ones, but they seem to get scratched up so fast.

Entire new shield, including headpiece, is about $15 at Lowe's or Home
Depot. Replacement visors for same can be procured from Do-It-Best
hardware stores for about half that.

How are they about fog? That's my number 1 complaint about safety
goggles when worn with my dust mask. (Do you wear a dust mask when
working in the shop?)

I've never had a faceshield fog up *at all* when working indoors. The only
times I've ever had a problem with fog-up were when I was working outdoors in
cold temperatures (e.g. cutting up the tree that took down my power lines a
few Decembers back).

I've worn prescription eyeglasses most of my life. I never have a problem with
them fogging up either, when I use a faceshield. That used to be a common
problem with safety goggles, before I discovered faceshields.

I wear a dust mask in the shop when running a sander, but rarely otherwise.

From my perspective, perhaps the greatest advantage to a faceshield is that
it's *so* *easy* to use, so comfortable, so quick to put on, that there is NO
excuse for not using it. Just no excuse at all. The one or two times I've been
tempted to not use it "just this once" because "it's just one quick cut" I
think about how I'm going to explain to SWMBO and kids how I came to be blind
in one eye, or missing a few teeth, because I wasn't willing to take TEN
SECONDS to put the faceshield on. That'd be a hard explanation to make.

That episode on the chop saw yesterday afternoon woulda HURT, Big Time, if not
for the face shield.
Posted to rec.woodworking

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

I've never had a faceshield fog up *at all* when working indoors. The
only times I've ever had a problem with fog-up were when I was working
outdoors in cold temperatures (e.g. cutting up the tree that took down
my power lines a few Decembers back).

I've worn prescription eyeglasses most of my life. I never have a
problem with them fogging up either, when I use a faceshield. That
used to be a common problem with safety goggles, before I discovered
faceshields.

Sounds like it might be worth trying. As was pointed out, they're
relatively cheap (but so are the goggles) and if they'll actually solve
the fog problem, I'll be quite happy.

I wear a dust mask in the shop when running a sander, but rarely
otherwise.

From what I've seen, it seems like the dust mask makes a large
contribution to the likelyhood of the goggles fogging. Maybe the shield
will be different.

From my perspective, perhaps the greatest advantage to a faceshield is
that it's *so* *easy* to use, so comfortable, so quick to put on, that
there is NO excuse for not using it. Just no excuse at all. The one or
two times I've been tempted to not use it "just this once" because
"it's just one quick cut" I think about how I'm going to explain to
SWMBO and kids how I came to be blind in one eye, or missing a few
teeth, because I wasn't willing to take TEN SECONDS to put the
faceshield on. That'd be a hard explanation to make.

Well, the goggles and muffs only take 10 seconds to put on as well. I
get about 30-45 minutes of worktime before the goggles start fogging up.

That episode on the chop saw yesterday afternoon woulda HURT, Big
Time, if not for the face shield.

Always good to find your equipment actually does its job, even if it
breaks in the process.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote

Always good to find your equipment actually does its job, even if it
breaks in the process.

That is like the story on the news every now and then of a broken bicycle
helmet. The helmet is in pieces, but it did its job. And the cost of
replacing said safety equipment is always far less than the alternative.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Steve B"
wrote:
... I should wear a face shield more often. Need to get some
new ones, but they seem to get scratched up so fast.

Entire new shield, including headpiece, is about $15 at Lowe's or Home
Depot. Replacement visors for same can be procured from Do-It-Best
hardware stores for about half that.

How are they about fog? That's my number 1 complaint about safety
goggles when worn with my dust mask. (Do you wear a dust mask when
working in the shop?)

Puckdropper

Dust masks are all over the board, from Kleenex with a rubber band to one
with one way valves, to a really good one that seals off and has canisters.
Most of the cheapies let air come up between my nose and face and fog my
glasses/hood.

Others are just not worth the time for the few seconds you use them, but
when you multiply that out, and are dying from emphysema or lung disorder it
seems like it wasn't too much to ask. Perhaps if a person had a lot of
stock piled up, and they were routing/planing/joining/cutting, it would make
sense. Particularly when you are done, and see all the crud all over your
face and think, "Gee Golly, I'm glad that didn't go into my lungs."

And then there's the approach of, "I'll just hold my breath and not breathe
when it's dusty."

Darwin application comes in mail.

I have had incidents where nothing would have changed the incident or
result, and then those where a minor adjustment or preventative measure
would have made a very large difference in the outcome.

Who's to know? Do your best. Get good PPE. Use it. Be rational, not
wearing a full HazMat suit to palm sand, and try to strike some sensible
balance point.

And then you can do everything right and .............

I had to go three times to get metal slivers out of my corneas. EVERY time,
I had ANSI approved safety glasses on. Go figger.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:57:34 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
. ..
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Steve B"
wrote:
... I should wear a face shield more often. Need to get some
new ones, but they seem to get scratched up so fast.

Entire new shield, including headpiece, is about $15 at Lowe's or Home
Depot. Replacement visors for same can be procured from Do-It-Best
hardware stores for about half that.

Q&D (Queeks 'n Durrrty) disposables are only $2.99 at HF on sale.

The key to keeping face shield lenses unscratched is to wash them only
with soapy water and dry with terrycloth towels. Compressed air works
to take dust off while you're working. Use anti-static creme after
washing/drying. Keep them in a dust-free cabinet when they're not OVER
YOUR FACE. Forgetting to put them away is sure death for them.

How are they about fog? That's my number 1 complaint about safety
goggles when worn with my dust mask. (Do you wear a dust mask when
working in the shop?)

Paper dust masks work better with goggles. The goggles crush the tops
of 'em and keep 'em from fogging your glasses. Get the type with the
exhaust valve. They're not as bad for fogging. Wally World has
cheapies in the Mainstays brand which have worked well for me. Hmm,
when I checked the brand, I just noticed that they're not NIOSH
approved. It makes me wonder if any paper mask is. Since I seldom use
them any more, it's not a big concern to me. I've gotten used to silly
cones marring my facial features now.

Dust masks are all over the board, from Kleenex with a rubber band to one
with one way valves, to a really good one that seals off and has canisters.
Most of the cheapies let air come up between my nose and face and fog my
glasses/hood.

I wear full-time glasses, too, and haven't found a single paper mask
which doesn't fog the crap out of my glasses within minutes. I
switched to a half-face, silicone rubber respirator decades ago and am
glad I did. I swap between 2: one with N-95 dust filters (mowing,
woodworking), the other with organic vapor filters (painting,
stripping, pest spraying, leafblowing, crawlspace work.) I mow with a
mask and muffs, but getting strange looks is much easier than putting
up with several days of 5x worse hay fever symptoms each time.

Others are just not worth the time for the few seconds you use them, but
when you multiply that out, and are dying from emphysema or lung disorder it
seems like it wasn't too much to ask. Perhaps if a person had a lot of
stock piled up, and they were routing/planing/joining/cutting, it would make
sense. Particularly when you are done, and see all the crud all over your
face and think, "Gee Golly, I'm glad that didn't go into my lungs."

And then there's the approach of, "I'll just hold my breath and not breathe
when it's dusty."

Darwin application comes in mail.

g I even wear my respirator when spraying rattle cans any more. All
you have to do is blow your nose after a 3 minute session to realize
that you should have masked-up before spraying even that little bit.

I have had incidents where nothing would have changed the incident or
result, and then those where a minor adjustment or preventative measure
would have made a very large difference in the outcome.

Who's to know? Do your best. Get good PPE. Use it. Be rational, not
wearing a full HazMat suit to palm sand, and try to strike some sensible
balance point.

And then you can do everything right and .............

I had to go three times to get metal slivers out of my corneas. EVERY time,
I had ANSI approved safety glasses on. Go figger.

Had you actually done everything right, slivers -couldn't- have found
their way into your corneas, Steve. Perhaps you should have switched
to a full-face, supplied-air mask after the first time.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Snip

Just one of the reasons I don't use a miter saw in the shop any more. A
face shield does not cover everything,;~) I have been hit in the arms and
stomach and that too makes you stop and think about what you are doing. I
find that holding small parts with your hand is a dangerious proposition.
typically will cut every thing on the TS or BS these days and will use a
pencil erasor to hold the small parts.

Small parts can be held with brads, hotglue, double-sided tape, toggle
clamps, and pencils. If I ever attack a blade with a small part in my
hand, it's held very loosely. If the part catches, it goes into the
blade -without- my finner, thankyouverymuch.

Exactly, but my recent project with small parts had a majority of pieces
that were too small to attach. The finished pieces had to be the "fall to
the side, waste". I had 30 or so of those small pieces and had no pieces
that were tossed because of something going wrong or getting nicked by the
blade. I did have several diamond shaped pieces that were 1.75 x 1.5" that
had to be cut in half and some of those halves had to be cut in half again.
Most parts were cut using a miter gauge set at 30 degrees, the smallest
parts were cut on a sled using a pencil eraser to hold the diamonds that
were to be halved and quartered. No excitement.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4851356181/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 19, 8:26*pm, Stuart wrote:
In article ,
* *Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

Puts me in mind . . . . about '64, doing 2 wk. SeaBee reserve, another
man & me were redoing the floor in the "Enlisted Mens Lake Club" on
Crane Naval Ammunition Depot in southern Indiana . Cleared out, floor
stripped, we were nailintg down new 1/4" masonite unederlayment using
those (*&^%^%#$$# tempered ring nails. Every so often you'd hit a hard
spot in the masonite & the nail would do a "ricochet" from the hammer
to the walls, to etc. etc. We were working with our backs to each
other when I had one go "ping" & disappear, but I never heard it hit
anything, then noticed my partner had quit nailing, looked around to
see him with the nail perpendicular to his temple, just sunk in to the
first ring. He very carefully pulled it out, we had sort of a
"sheepish" laugh, then moved a little farther apart.

Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

WOW!!

I actually touched the screen ... Fantastic job picking the the parts for
grain and color!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/21/2010 5:11 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

WOW!!

I actually touched the screen ... Fantastic job picking the the parts
for grain and color!

They are even more beautiful in person. Ask me how I know ...

If I'm not mistaken, the walnut is from a stash he and I picked up in AR
last year, or the year before. They were basically 4 x 4 black walnut
posts 4' to 6' long ... we brought back a pickup load. There were lots
of checks and cracks, but some beautiful walnut if you know how, and
have the tools, to get to it ...

(Leon presented me with one of those boxes exactly like that on my b'day
last month ... it is so damn gorgeous in person that you can't keep your
hands off of it!)

Our birthdays are a couple of days apart ... I got the best deal, by
far!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Had you actually done everything right, slivers -couldn't- have found
their way into your corneas, Steve.

You're right. I wasn't there. I didn't see what I saw. I didn't
experience what I experienced.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message news:
(Leon presented me with one of those boxes exactly like that on my b'day
last month ... it is so damn gorgeous in person that you can't keep your
hands off of it!)

Beautiful. And more importantly, what do you keep in the box?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

WOW!!

I actually touched the screen ... Fantastic job picking the the parts
for grain and color!

They are even more beautiful in person. Ask me how I know ...

I can believe it. I Really Did touch the screen!

And I took note of your drive by ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:18:31 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Beautiful! Man, the finish sure brings out the 3-D effect and shows
those smoothed edges.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:59:42 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Had you actually done everything right, slivers -couldn't- have found
their way into your corneas, Steve.

You're right. I wasn't there. I didn't see what I saw. I didn't
experience what I experienced.

Say what you will, but if you got slivers in your eyes, something
-wasn't- quite right. Period.

Goggles with 1" diameter vent holes? No lenses? What was it?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:59:42 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Had you actually done everything right, slivers -couldn't- have found
their way into your corneas, Steve.

You're right. I wasn't there. I didn't see what I saw. I didn't
experience what I experienced.

Say what you will, but if you got slivers in your eyes, something
-wasn't- quite right. Period.

Goggles with 1" diameter vent holes? No lenses? What was it?

Uvex safety glasses. None of the three was a direct strike, either
ricochets, or a sliver falling in and lodging.

What is it with you and this mindset that things absolutely cannot happen in
the real world unless you have experienced them, or have some reliable (to
you) source.

Crazy **** happens daily in the safety world, but only in the world of those
people who can observe what happened and say, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm," and not in
the world of those who say, "Impossible. Can never happen."

The newspapers and Internet are FULL! of crazy events that no one thought
possible of plausible, yet happened. Or at least some lying fool claimed it
happened, but they are filtered by your extraordinarily intelligent mind to
disqualify them from reality.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/2010 1:58 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Larry wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:59:42 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Larry wrote

Had you actually done everything right, slivers -couldn't- have found
their way into your corneas, Steve.

You're right. I wasn't there. I didn't see what I saw. I didn't
experience what I experienced.

Say what you will, but if you got slivers in your eyes, something
-wasn't- quite right. Period.

Goggles with 1" diameter vent holes? No lenses? What was it?

Uvex safety glasses. None of the three was a direct strike, either
ricochets, or a sliver falling in and lodging.

Safety glasses aren't goggles. If you were wearing "Uvex safety
glasses" you were not wearing goggles. Uvex also makes goggles, but
they do not call them "safety glasses".

For something to get into your eyes while wearing properly fitted
goggles it has to either break the goggles or have been fired at you by
Lee Harvey Oswald.

What is it with you and this mindset that things absolutely cannot happen in
the real world unless you have experienced them, or have some reliable (to
you) source.

Perhaps if you were more careful with your use of words you would create
less confusion. You were wearing safety glasses, not goggles. You
either intentionally or through ignorance of the difference sacrificed
the protection of goggles for the convenience of safety glasses and paid
the price.

Crazy **** happens daily in the safety world, but only in the world of those
people who can observe what happened and say, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm," and not in
the world of those who say, "Impossible. Can never happen."

However if you had actually gotten something inside goggles it would
have been remarkable enough that you'd have a good story to go with it
explaining how whatever it was got inside them.

The newspapers and Internet are FULL! of crazy events that no one thought
possible of plausible, yet happened. Or at least some lying fool claimed it
happened, but they are filtered by your extraordinarily intelligent mind to
disqualify them from reality.

Yeah, they're full of sightings of UFOs and the Virgin Mary too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

WOW!!

I actually touched the screen ... Fantastic job picking the the parts for
grain and color!

LOL..Now THAT is a compliment. You toush't your screen... Awww.

THANK YOU.

I fell into the wood selection. I had left over scraps, and some walnut
posts stashed away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message news:
(Leon presented me with one of those boxes exactly like that on my b'day
last month ... it is so damn gorgeous in person that you can't keep your
hands off of it!)

Beautiful. And more importantly, what do you keep in the box?

His sewing stuff. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:18:31 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Beautiful! Man, the finish sure brings out the 3-D effect and shows
those smoothed edges.

Thanks you and thanks for noticing the smooth edges. I routed all the edges
of the pieces with a 1/8" radius round over bit with a special little jig on
the router table. Very easy to do but lots of sanding with the Fein
Multimaster setting in my lap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:48:30 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

m...
"Leon" wrote in message

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

WOW!!

I actually touched the screen ... Fantastic job picking the the parts
for grain and color!

They are even more beautiful in person. Ask me how I know ...

I can believe it. I Really Did touch the screen!

Was the Eagles "Hotel California" song playing in the background,
while the warm smell of colitas rose up through the air?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:58:49 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:59:42 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

[...]

Because 99.999999% of the time, "perfect" wasn't.

The newspapers and Internet are FULL! of crazy events that no one thought
possible of plausible, yet happened. Or at least some lying fool claimed it
happened, but they are filtered by your extraordinarily intelligent mind to
disqualify them from reality.

Sacre bleu! You refuse to bow and scrape to my magnificence?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:48:30 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

om...
"Leon" wrote in message

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

WOW!!

I actually touched the screen ... Fantastic job picking the the parts
for grain and color!

They are even more beautiful in person. Ask me how I know ...

I can believe it. I Really Did touch the screen!

Was the Eagles "Hotel California" song playing in the background,
while the warm smell of colitas rose up through the air?

I wish! Got ill middle of last week and ever since there's been a Boston
Pops military tunes playing in my left ear. They break now and then for
something from Tom Jones ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

news:GL6dnbdsAehQqgTRnZ2dnUVZ_o6dnZ2d@giganews. com...
"Leon" wrote in message

Might as well show ther finished pics. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5011298245/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

WOW!!

I actually touched the screen ... Fantastic job picking the the parts
for grain and color!

They are even more beautiful in person. Ask me how I know ...

I can believe it. I Really Did touch the screen!

Was the Eagles "Hotel California" song playing in the background,
while the warm smell of colitas rose up through the air?

I wish! Got ill middle of last week and ever since there's been a Boston
Pops military tunes playing in my left ear. They break now and then for
something from Tom Jones ...

You, sir, just qualified for Mental Health bennies. Sounds like Hell.
I'm happy with the screech of tinnitus, TYVM.