Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Why I Never Wear Safety Goggles...

On Sep 19, 3:19*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
..subtitled, Thank God For Faceshields.

Yep. I experienced my epiphany while standing in front of, what is
often considered a pretty benign tool, my wood lathe.

I was roughing a 18" to 24" length of 2-1/2" square stock and had it
pretty well rounded when "thunk". I didn't see the stock leave the
lathe; or anything else except a vision flash and blur, and felt my
head get jolted back sharply. When I regained my senses my hands
still held the lathe tool in work position but the work-stock was
resting across my arms where it landed after it hit my shield. Then I
felt a little warm moisture running down my nose. The work-stock had
hit my face shield so hard it deflected against my glasses and cut the
bridge of my nose. The front of the head band also abraded my
forehead slightly. The face shield panel was not broken but it had an
eye-level scuff that required it to be replaced.

Apparently a weak spot in the dead end of the work-stock chipped out
allowing it to be thrown out from the live end. It happened 4-5 years
ago but I still get a chill when I think what could have happened if
the shield had not been in place.

RonB