Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Why I Never Wear Safety Goggles...

"Stuart" wrote in message
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
And, last but not least... if you've been around this ng for any length
of time, you've heard me say this befo You have other things on your
face besides your eyes that are worth protecting! That's not the only
reason I use a faceshield instead of goggles -- but it's the only one
that's on my mind right now.

Yup.

My daughter is a blacksmith. Two or three years ago I was over there and
we were cleaning up some work ready for finishing, using angle grinders
fitted with wire cup brushes. When a piece of wire from one of those hits
your face it really stings so I was using a face shield.

I heard a yell from my daughter, who was just wearing safety spectacles
and turned to see her with a piece of wire sticking out at right angles
from her forehead. The only thing that stopped it going any further was
the bone. It didn't bleed too much but I gather it really hurt.

I have an aversion to pain - and to blood if it's mine - so I always wear
a face shield when doing anything where there is a risk of my face
getting hit. I also wear a leather apron too, because those bits of wire
will easily pass through ordinary clothing and stick in your belly.

The guy she works with is a nurse. He is currently working in mental
health but did his time in A&E like everyone else. If you don't wear
proper safety gear he will remind you of some of the things he has seen.

You really don't want to know!

I have picked a lot of wires out of myself all over the place. Face, legs,
stomach, chest. I should wear a face shield more often. Need to get some
new ones, but they seem to get scratched up so fast.

Steve