Christopher Tidy

Default Do you find your safety goggles get scratched way too quickly?

This is something that really annoys me. I buy a pair of safety goggles
and they only last a few months. I'm not especially careless with them,
but somehow they end up falling out of my pocket onto the floor, or
rolling over on the bench and getting scratched. I was thinking that it
would be great if you could buy safety goggles with flat lenses and rims
which stand a few millimetres proud of the lens. This would be a great
invention: it would make it so much harder to scratch your goggles.
Sure, it would make you look like Elvis Costello, but who cares?

Does anyone know if such goggles are available?

Best wishes,

Chris

jim rozen

In article , Christopher Tidy says...

This is something that really annoys me. I buy a pair of safety goggles
and they only last a few months.

Another approach is to view them as disposable. I keep safety glasses
in ziplock bags in a special place in the shop. The bags keep them
clean, fingerprint free, and devoid of swarf/chips/dust when not
in use. When they get scratched up I toss em and buy new. They've
done their job then.

Jim

please reply to:
Steve Smith

I found that putting them into a plastic ziplock bag extended their life
quite a bit. I kept one pair at each station where needed. They also
stay a lot cleaner this way.

Now I get my glasses in a safety lens prescription and attach side
shields. I just wasn't good enough at actually wearing the goggles,
which I really don't like.

Steve

Christopher Tidy wrote:

This is something that really annoys me. I buy a pair of safety
goggles and they only last a few months. I'm not especially careless
with them, but somehow they end up falling out of my pocket onto the
floor, or rolling over on the bench and getting scratched. I was
thinking that it would be great if you could buy safety goggles with
flat lenses and rims which stand a few millimetres proud of the lens.
This would be a great invention: it would make it so much harder to
scratch your goggles. Sure, it would make you look like Elvis
Costello, but who cares?

Does anyone know if such goggles are available?

Best wishes,

Chris

john

Christopher Tidy wrote:

This is something that really annoys me. I buy a pair of safety goggles
and they only last a few months. I'm not especially careless with them,
but somehow they end up falling out of my pocket onto the floor, or
rolling over on the bench and getting scratched. I was thinking that it
would be great if you could buy safety goggles with flat lenses and rims
which stand a few millimetres proud of the lens. This would be a great
invention: it would make it so much harder to scratch your goggles.
Sure, it would make you look like Elvis Costello, but who cares?

Does anyone know if such goggles are available?

Best wishes,

Chris

If you wore them all the time they wouldn't get scratched up.

John
Christopher Tidy

john wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:

This is something that really annoys me. I buy a pair of safety goggles
and they only last a few months. I'm not especially careless with them,
but somehow they end up falling out of my pocket onto the floor, or
rolling over on the bench and getting scratched. I was thinking that it
would be great if you could buy safety goggles with flat lenses and rims
which stand a few millimetres proud of the lens. This would be a great
invention: it would make it so much harder to scratch your goggles.
Sure, it would make you look like Elvis Costello, but who cares?

Does anyone know if such goggles are available?

Best wishes,

Chris

If you wore them all the time they wouldn't get scratched up.

John

True, but I think most guys take their goggles off when they aren't
necessary. It's much more comfortable without.

Chris

john

Christopher Tidy wrote:

john wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:

[...]

Large shops require you to wear your glasses in the shop at all times.
Maybe try getting a more comfortable pair, or don't get a plastic lense
that scratches easily.

Safety glasses with side shields are pretty comfortable.
John
Ecnerwal

If you wore them all the time they wouldn't get scratched up.

John

True, but I think most guys take their goggles off when they aren't
necessary. It's much more comfortable without.

Chris

Part of the problem, Chris, is you don't always know when they are
necessary ahead of time - one reason that may places require them all
the time. Given I'm more or less blind without glasses, I always have a
pair on - and I've picked things out of the front surface of my
"regular" glasses, even though I have specific safety glasses. One of
several reasons I don't use contact lenses.

There are better and worse (for comfort) safety glasses, at both ends of
the price spectrum. If you find a pair which is comfortable, you should
not really notice that you have them on once they have been on for a
while.

Safety glass lenses stand up to abuse (that is, things that scratch
plastics, including hardcoat plastics) much better than plastic lenses.
They need to be tempered safety glass approved for the use. Most already
look as you have described - the plastics tend to be the curvy-lens
frameless jobs. A simple glasses case will protect either sort when it's
off your face - if you will use it.

Now, if you actually mean goggles, and you need goggles, the rim is
generally raised already, and the lens is too large for that to help
much, and there are no comfortable ones - but I think you were really
talking about glasses.

Jerry Foster

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
This is something that really annoys me. I buy a pair of safety goggles
and they only last a few months. I'm not especially careless with them,
but somehow they end up falling out of my pocket onto the floor, or
rolling over on the bench and getting scratched. I was thinking that it
would be great if you could buy safety goggles with flat lenses and rims
which stand a few millimetres proud of the lens. This would be a great
invention: it would make it so much harder to scratch your goggles.
Sure, it would make you look like Elvis Costello, but who cares?

Does anyone know if such goggles are available?

Best wishes,

Chris

I use prescription safety glasses with glass (not plastic) lenses. They
cost more, but are damned near imortal. I occasionally get nailed with
red-hot chips off the mill. These will stick into plastic lenses and
destroy them, but they just wipe off glass. Since I work alone, there's no
one else to be shooting chips around and I take them off and lay them down
pretty much wherever. I've only needed to replace them when I needed a new
prescription.

Jerry

carl mciver

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
| This is something that really annoys me. I buy a pair of safety goggles
| and they only last a few months. I'm not especially careless with them,
| but somehow they end up falling out of my pocket onto the floor, or
| rolling over on the bench and getting scratched. I was thinking that it
| would be great if you could buy safety goggles with flat lenses and rims
| which stand a few millimetres proud of the lens. This would be a great
| invention: it would make it so much harder to scratch your goggles.
| Sure, it would make you look like Elvis Costello, but who cares?
|
| Does anyone know if such goggles are available?
|
| Best wishes,
|
| Chris

Chris, I pay about eight bucks a pair for S&W glasses from my local
safety supplier. I get about six months each or so out of a pair. I keep
them in a soft cloth bag with drawstring I got from an optometrist for free
(I just asked.) My "regular" safety glasses are amber, and well loved. My
other pair are the dark, sunglass kind. Same make and model, too. As a
bonus, I also use the dark glasses with my OA torch, since the shade seems
to match my preference nicely. I usually keep a spare pair in my tool box
because sometimes I scratch them or drop them hard from altitude. I'm not
so perfect about wearing them that they slip off of my head occasionally.
My spare is also a new pair, which I put into use when it's time for a new
pair, and a reminder to go get another pair eventually. The only problem is
that they are wraparound, so don't fit too well in pockets. I've tried
croakies, which will help them last even longer, but I don't like dust
collecting on the inside of the lenses, which annoys the hell out of me. I
usually keep them on my head where they slip off occasionally.
For sure, safety glasses must be considered disposable. Taken care of,
they will last you much longer than mine do!

Tom Wait

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
This is something that really annoys me. I buy a pair of safety goggles
and they only last a few months. I'm not especially careless with them,

I worked for a contractor once who was fanatical about safety and
particularly about the wearing of safety glasses on the jb. If you were
caught without them you got a day off, no pay. The second time a week off
and the third offense was bye-bye. To make it easy to comply they provided
high quality (expensive) safety glasses, a cord to keep them around your
neck and glass washing kits in every gang box to keep them clean. I've never
had glasses last as long as when I worked there. The cord was the biggest
contributer to longevity.
Tom
Remove pyrotechnic device to email

Christopher Tidy

Ecnerwal wrote:
If you wore them all the time they wouldn't get scratched up.

John

True, but I think most guys take their goggles off when they aren't
necessary. It's much more comfortable without.

Chris

Part of the problem, Chris, is you don't always know when they are
necessary ahead of time - one reason that may places require them all
the time. Given I'm more or less blind without glasses, I always have a
pair on - and I've picked things out of the front surface of my
"regular" glasses, even though I have specific safety glasses. One of
several reasons I don't use contact lenses.

You're quite right, I do mean glasses rather than goggles. But I think
the pair of glasses I bought a couple of weeks ago were actually
described as goggles! I know many large shops insist on glasses being
worn all the time, and with good reason, but I almost always work alone
so the actions of others aren't an issue. If I'm turning, chiselling or
using solvents I'll wear glasses. But if I'm marking out or dismantling
something I won't. I just find I'm more comfortable and can see better
without them.

You're probably right that I should look for a more comfortable pair.

Best wishes,

Chris