Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Why I Never Wear Safety Goggles...

On Sep 19, 5:06*pm, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

..subtitled, Thank God For Faceshields.

This story starts, as do most stories of accidents, with a poor choice on
my
part: trying to make a miter cut with a chop saw on a piece that, in
retrospect, was really too small to try to hold with my free hand. I
should've
used a clamp.

Apparently, it shifted a bit when the saw blade hit it, and the blade
grabbed
it out of my fingers and -- somehow -- threw it *toward* me. At about
mouth
level. Right into the faceshield, so hard that _it knocked it off my
head_.

I'm basically unhurt: my left thumb has a minor bruise from the workpiece
being wrenched out of my hand, I have superficial cuts on two knuckles
from
sharp edges on the wood, and another bruise on my left pec where the wood
hit
after bouncing off the faceshield. Still haven't found where it went after
that...

Lessons:
1. Clamp small workpieces.
2. Wood sometimes can be ejected in unexpected directions.
3. Clamp small workpieces.
4. Respect the power of a kickback.
5. Clamp small workpieces.

And, last but not least... if you've been around this ng for any length of
time, you've heard me say this befo You have other things on your face
besides your eyes that are worth protecting! That's not the only reason I
use
a faceshield instead of goggles -- but it's the only one that's on my mind
right now.

Good on ya. You wore a face shield. I bet the missus appreciated it. I have
worn one for years. Which is attached to a hard hat. Some folks thing I am
overdoing it, being over cautious, being a safety freak, etc., etc.

But that is OK. I started doing this when doing metalwork years ago and do
it around almost any kind of power tool operation now. *I have had enough
things hit that mask and helmet to know it is a good idea. Nothing like a
good thunk on the safety equipment to realize that you just protected
yourself from the biggest danger in the shop. YOURSELF!!!

Another comment. *The above remarks are another reason why you can never
have too many clamps. *I had a metal grinding job recently that just turned
out to be too dangerous to pursue. I went to Harbor Freight and bought about
20 clamps. That job went well. And I have used the clamps on a number of
woodworking jobs since, Clamps are universal, You need them.

You can walk on a wooden leg, eat with false teeth, but you can't see
**** through a glass eye.