Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Magnifying goggles?

Has anyone ever seen such? I mean real safety goggles that also give,
say, 3X magnification over the entire lens - not just a little spot at
the bottom a la bifocal style. If I use regular magnifying glasses and
use a face mask the glasses get steamed up which isn't overly safe.
Ideally what I would love to find is a full face flip-down visor that
is also a magnifyer - but I don't think there can be too many of those
around! Does Foster Grant do custom work?

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

foggytown wrote:
Has anyone ever seen such? I mean real safety goggles that also give,
say, 3X magnification over the entire lens - not just a little spot at
the bottom a la bifocal style. If I use regular magnifying glasses and
use a face mask the glasses get steamed up which isn't overly safe.
Ideally what I would love to find is a full face flip-down visor that
is also a magnifyer - but I don't think there can be too many of those
around! Does Foster Grant do custom work?

FoggyTown

http://www.abcsafetymart.com/sglasse...y-glasses.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

foggytown wrote:
Has anyone ever seen such? I mean real safety goggles that also give,
say, 3X magnification over the entire lens - not just a little spot at
the bottom a la bifocal style.

DAGS for Optisight or Optivisor. I think you'd be interested in the
lens plates #'s 7-10.

Not full safety goggles, but I think it's the closest you'll get.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perhaps if you moved out of Foggy Town.....

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

foggytown wrote:
Has anyone ever seen such? I mean real safety goggles that also give,
say, 3X magnification over the entire lens - not just a little spot at
the bottom a la bifocal style. If I use regular magnifying glasses and
use a face mask the glasses get steamed up which isn't overly safe.
Ideally what I would love to find is a full face flip-down visor that
is also a magnifyer - but I don't think there can be too many of those
around! Does Foster Grant do custom work?

FoggyTown

I used to have a pair when I could still wear contact lenses. Mine were
+1.75. Beat taking off the goggles and putting on my reading glasses
every time I turned around.

Jess.S

Posted to rec.woodworking

foggytown wrote:
Has anyone ever seen such? I mean real safety goggles that also give,
say, 3X magnification over the entire lens - not just a little spot

Your visual field is 180 degrees wide, and if there were a 3x
full-field magnifier,
that would narrow to 60 degrees. That would be a wide-field telescope,
not a simple magnifier. There's an outfit that makes
eyeglass/telescope
hybrids, Designs for Vision; my dentist likes their product.

http://www.designsforvision.com/DentHtml/DStdTel.htm

Magnifiers require you to get closer to the subject, so items at arm's
length (like
the saw kerf) might not be easy to see unless you lean in real close
(or move the lens
close to the kerf, i.e. detach it from your faceplate area). If you
had a full-face magnifier,
it's just like getting closeup glasses; things farther than a foot are
out of focus.

So you have three choices: lens-magnification in a portion of the
visual field (for close-in
objects only); tele-magnification in a portion of the visual field
(small telescopes, so you
can see things at a safe distance); close-up specs and items blur in
the distance.

Magnifying desk lamp? T i m UK diy 23 July 31st 06 10:00 AM
Do you find your safety goggles get scratched way too quickly? Christopher Tidy Metalworking 11 October 11th 05 12:24 AM
Magnifying lamp with all metal base [email protected] Metalworking 7 April 9th 05 04:23 AM
WC soil Pipe hays UK diy 17 October 30th 03 05:21 PM
Wanted: magnifying safety glasses j Woodworking 8 September 24th 03 08:38 AM