Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Why I Never Wear Safety Goggles...

In article , Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Steve B"
wrote:
... I should wear a face shield more often. Need to get some
new ones, but they seem to get scratched up so fast.

Entire new shield, including headpiece, is about $15 at Lowe's or Home
Depot. Replacement visors for same can be procured from Do-It-Best
hardware stores for about half that.

How are they about fog? That's my number 1 complaint about safety
goggles when worn with my dust mask. (Do you wear a dust mask when
working in the shop?)

I've never had a faceshield fog up *at all* when working indoors. The only
times I've ever had a problem with fog-up were when I was working outdoors in
cold temperatures (e.g. cutting up the tree that took down my power lines a
few Decembers back).

I've worn prescription eyeglasses most of my life. I never have a problem with
them fogging up either, when I use a faceshield. That used to be a common
problem with safety goggles, before I discovered faceshields.

I wear a dust mask in the shop when running a sander, but rarely otherwise.

From my perspective, perhaps the greatest advantage to a faceshield is that
it's *so* *easy* to use, so comfortable, so quick to put on, that there is NO
excuse for not using it. Just no excuse at all. The one or two times I've been
tempted to not use it "just this once" because "it's just one quick cut" I
think about how I'm going to explain to SWMBO and kids how I came to be blind
in one eye, or missing a few teeth, because I wasn't willing to take TEN
SECONDS to put the faceshield on. That'd be a hard explanation to make.

That episode on the chop saw yesterday afternoon woulda HURT, Big Time, if not
for the face shield.