Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router lift recommendations

On 7/15/10 9:12 PM, " wrote:

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

I use the Rockler Router Lift FX
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...er%20lift%20fx
With good results in a Bench Dog router table extension on my table saw.

It took a bit of adjustment to hold my PC 893 but has been quite stable
since the initial set up. Height adjustments are fast and accurate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodstuff" wrote in message

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
On 07/19/2010 08:43 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 02:33:42 -0500, "woodstuff"
wrote the following:

I do not recomment any Grizzly machinery. I have had lotsa problems

with a
Grizzly machine (GO454).
Don't get me started on that. A used machine made in the USA would be

about
the same cost and 10 times better.

And the other 99% of us have owned several Griz machines and haven't
had a lick of trouble with -any- of them. YMMV.

Add me to that list. I have the G0453 planer (the 15" version of the 20"

planer mentioned
above), G0440 2HP cyclone dust collector, and the G1495 lathe. My dad
has

a 15" planer and
dust collector (both different models than mine), a 8" jointer, a G1035

shaper, and a 14"
bandsaw. No problems with any of them.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

I guess it is personal preference for me to not like Grizzly, and I am
probably unjustified in saying anything bad. I have a friend who has a
couple of their shapers and a bandsaw and he says that they do ok. So I
hereby backpetal on any comments about Grizzly.

Let a thousand flowers bloom!

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodstuff wrote:

I guess it is personal preference for me to not like Grizzly, and I am
probably unjustified in saying anything bad. I have a friend who has a
couple of their shapers and a bandsaw and he says that they do ok. So I
hereby backpetal on any comments about Grizzly.

Your comments are just as valuable as anyone else's, particularly after
you elaborated a bit. I've been thinking of buying some Grizzly
products myself, specifically a planer, and some shaper bits. Your
comments on both are much appreciated.

--
Jack
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
woodstuff wrote:

I guess it is personal preference for me to not like Grizzly, and I am
probably unjustified in saying anything bad. I have a friend who has a
couple of their shapers and a bandsaw and he says that they do ok. So I
hereby backpetal on any comments about Grizzly.

Your comments are just as valuable as anyone else's, particularly after
you elaborated a bit. I've been thinking of buying some Grizzly
products myself, specifically a planer, and some shaper bits. Your
comments on both are much appreciated.

--
Jack
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
http://jbstein.com

As an aside about the Grizzly GO454, I found 9 (or 11, can't remember) other
companies with this same planer on the net. The main "body" is the same in
all, except for the colors and maybe some switching and HP. Some have
3-knife cutterheads, others 4. Some have byrd-style heads.

Going only from memory, I think there was Powermatic, Sunhill, (memory
escapes me), and of course Grizzly (which has a 4-knife cutterhead). One
thing I have a problem with is the design of the table where there is a
recess on both sides, and no built-in guide to keep the workpiece from under
the cutters. This applies mostly to wider pieces which might turn slightly
(as can happen on most any planer). I cut some thin sticks to go into the
little recess on each side of the table and clamped them on with C-clamps;
it worked ok.

Mostly, I use the planer to thin door panels to 11/16 before going to the
wide belt (which takes them to 5/8). Occasionally, I will use it for other
tasks, like surfacing rough sawn lumber. It does OK for what I use it for.
Still, I wish I had spent some more and gotten an industrial machine. For a
hobby shop or light use, the Grizzly might be fine.

If one puts a digital depth gauge on it, it would be nice; I have to measure
the pieces comming out when they start getting close.

have a good day, woodstuff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:38:14 -0400, Jack Stein wrote:

wrote:

"One nice thing is the induction motor of a shaper. quiet and constant
speed."

"Quiet" was never a huge winner, in my book. Cutting wood is noisy.

True but a shaper sounds good, a routers scream is horrendous. I always
use my shaper over the router if possible. The main problem is cost of
cutters, but I personally don't use all that many different cutters.
Straight cutter for patterns and round over bits are most common. Cope
and stick cutters are really pricey. I've always wanted to buy a set
but what to buy is confusing and I don't build enough doors to go for it.

I don't find router noise to be all that bad. I think my Dewalt planer is
worse.

Having said that, every home wood shop needs at least one router, but
not a shaper. A shaper is a luxury in a home shop.

So is the space it takes.

I certainly would spend $300 on a heavy duty router with built in lift
like the Triton before spending it on just a lift. If you already have
a router, well, now you'd have two, a very good idea in itself.

No Festering 2200? I bought a lift about five years ago for a router I bought
with the intention of leaving in a table. I really like the lift and don't
have any intention of replacing the router (subject to tomorrow's whim). The
next purchase in this area is going to be a new top. I'm looking to build a
new table, perhaps when it gets cooler.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Hmm, we're talkin' router v. shaper and you bring up a planer and an
overpriced bisquicker along with a divorce. Respectfully, methinks
you have problems other than Griz, sir.

Best of luck in the estate splitting and woodworking tool acquisition.

Or wherever your final destination might take you.

Snip people snip- or start top posting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Careful. The top posting crybabies will label you a "troll"

"CW" wrote in message
news Snip people snip- or start top posting.

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

Hmm, we're talkin' router v. shaper and you bring up a planer and an
overpriced bisquicker along with a divorce. Respectfully, methinks
you have problems other than Griz, sir.

Best of luck in the estate splitting and woodworking tool acquisition.

Or wherever your final destination might take you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:03:44 -0400, Upscale
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:36:48 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

20 years and replaced it with a Triton router about 7 years ago, it has a
built in lift and works well with the Bench Dog table.

Question about lifting the router while in the table. How
easy/accurate is it to operate? I'm guessing, maybe wrongly, that you
have to operate the lift with your hands under the table. I'm just
wondering how convenient operating the Triton router lift is compared
to one of the above table adjustments. Obviously, there is a price
difference between the two, but that's not the question I'm asking.

After getting my Triton I dutifully drilled the hole for the above
table adjustment doohickey and tested it out. And then I never used
it again. If you changed bits then you might have to change speeds so
your hand is under the table anyway. After changing the height, well
there's that lock knob to lock, which you might omit doing but there's
a lock and I'm going to lock the sucker, so your hand is under the
table anyway. You need to get down at eye level to the bit to set the
height and while you're doing that there's time to open up a door and
get your hand in there... which is faster than retreiving the adjuster
doohickey, which has probably fallen off the back of the router table
by the time you needed it, and getting it engaged properly anyway. So
long story short, totally pointless feature as far as I am concerned,
unless your table is designed in a way that makes getting to the
underside more difficult than it ought to be.

HOWEVER, the Triton, when the power is off, lets you bring the collet
up above the table and locks the spindle by itself. One wrench for
bit changes. It usually takes me longer to find the right bit than to
change it. That right there is worth the price of admission.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2010 8:35 PM, CW wrote:
Snip people snip

Yes.

or start top posting.

No!

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2010 9:31 PM, Josepi wrote:
Careful. The top posting crybabies will label you a "troll"

Or in your case, a top-posting, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing,
improperly-configured-Microsoft-Outlook-Express-using ****head.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

"Quiet" was never a huge winner, in my book. Cutting wood is noisy.

True but a shaper sounds good, a routers scream is horrendous.

I don't find router noise to be all that bad. I think my Dewalt planer
is
worse.

Perhaps a segmented spiral cutter head would help?

Perhaps an induction motor would help. My old Ryobi AP10 portable planer
was much louder than my 15" stationary Delta planer.

Having said that, every home wood shop needs at least one router, but
not a shaper. A shaper is a luxury in a home shop.

So is the space it takes.

Space is usually a luxury but if you gots the room, and the money, a
shaper is nice, and the lift awesome.

I certainly would spend $300 on a heavy duty router with built in lift
like the Triton before spending it on just a lift. If you already have
a router, well, now you'd have two, a very good idea in itself.

No Festering 2200? I bought a lift about five years ago for a router I
bought
with the intention of leaving in a table. I really like the lift and
don't
have any intention of replacing the router (subject to tomorrow's whim).
The
next purchase in this area is going to be a new top. I'm looking to build
new table, perhaps when it gets cooler.

Makes sense, but, the issue was buying a router lift. If you're going to
spend $300 on a lift, then, why not buy another router for less with a
built in lift?

Exactly!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 8:53*am, Jack Stein wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I already have the router and lift (Jet Xacta Lift, which is a
rebadged JessEm Rout-R-Lift). The router is no Festering 2200 but it
doesn't need to be.

http://www.jessem.com/ROUT-R-LIFT.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Many prefer it. Perhaps you need a more advanced reader that can decode more
modern posting styles?

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
No!

On 7/20/2010 8:35 PM, CW wrote:
Snip people snip

or start top posting.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 11:24*am, "Josepi" wrote:

Many prefer it. Perhaps you need a more advanced reader that can decode more
modern posting styles?

MANY prefer it? Look around you. Nobody top-posts in here. It is rude
to top-post.
But if you want to pick your nose and scratch your balls at the dinner
table, proclaiming it is 'modern' then by all means look like the
rudenick you are.
*I* think, however, that you're just a contrary little punk who needs
to grow up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/21/10 11:24 AM, Josepi wrote:
Many prefer it. Perhaps you need a more advanced reader that can decode more
modern posting styles?

Outlook Express on XP is an abortion, it is neither advanced nor modern.
You sir, are a tard.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

He's right. Nobody top posts. Doesn't everybody talk like this?
You walk out of your house and you see your neighbor, Jim.
You: Hey Jim, how's it going?
Jim: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you?
You: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you? I'm doing
great. I'm heading out to the lake for a little boating and swimming. Want
to come along?
Jim: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you? I'm doing
great. I'm heading out to the lake for a little boating and swimming. Want
to come along? Sure, you mind if I bring my dog?
You: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you? I'm doing
great. I'm heading out to the lake for a little boating and swimming. Want
to come along? Sure, you mind if I bring my dog? Not a problem, bring him
along.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 21, 11:24 am, "Josepi" wrote:

Many prefer it. Perhaps you need a more advanced reader that can decode
more
modern posting styles?

MANY prefer it? Look around you. Nobody top-posts in here. It is rude
to top-post.
But if you want to pick your nose and scratch your balls at the dinner
table, proclaiming it is 'modern' then by all means look like the
rudenick you are.
*I* think, however, that you're just a contrary little punk who needs
to grow up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 2:48*pm, "CW" wrote:
He's right. Nobody top posts. Doesn't everybody talk like this?
You walk out of your house and you see your neighbor, Jim.
You: Hey Jim, how's it going?
Jim: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you?
You: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you? I'm doing
great. I'm heading out to the lake for a little boating and swimming. Want
to come along?
Jim: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you? I'm doing
great. I'm heading out to the lake for a little boating and swimming. Want
to come along? Sure, you mind if I bring my dog?
You: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you? I'm doing
great. I'm heading out to the lake for a little boating and swimming. Want
to come along? Sure, you mind if I bring my dog? Not a problem, bring him
along.

Doesn't apply. The newsgroup is for others to read as well, not just a
dialogue. The top section brings the other readers up to speed and
paves the way for the replies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

LOL LOL my my, do go postal, sucker LOL
Please be happy I have you hook, line and sinker LOL
Just joking, you know, top posting is my little joke on you,
I only know how to make these little jokes. I bottom post
usually so I can hide very easily from the nasty trolls who haunt
my little jokes. I only ask to be wanted for little old joking me LOL
Make my joke work for me, I am important,
I need to be laughed along with, I am so comical. Please like me
and my jokes, or I will be very upset, and make even more little
jokes so you jump in as the dumb ass I say, I post, I belief, I wish,
you are LOL LOL LOL LOL

m...

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 21, 11:24 am, "Josepi" wrote:

Many prefer it. Perhaps you need a more advanced reader that can decode
more
modern posting styles?

MANY prefer it? Look around you. Nobody top-posts in here. It is rude
to top-post.
But if you want to pick your nose and scratch your balls at the dinner
table, proclaiming it is 'modern' then by all means look like the
rudenick you are.
*I* think, however, that you're just a contrary little punk who needs
to grow up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I started that route many times.

I ended up with the Triton 3 1/2 HP router with built in lift. That
gave me a router(Hitachi M12V) I didn't need(have five more) so I sold
it and offset the cost.

Couldn't be happier.

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 5:24*pm, "Josepi" wrote:

Please like me
and my jokes, or I will be very upset, and make even more little
jokes so you jump in as the dumb ass I say, I post, I belief, I wish,

Get some help. (?? I belief ???)

You are not a worthy adversary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 5:24*pm, "Josepi" wrote:

Please like me
and my jokes, or I will be very upset, and make even more little
jokes so you jump in as the dumb ass I say, I post, I belief, I wish,

Get some help. *(?? I belief ???)

You are not a worthy adversary.

That's your schtick, eh? When somebody points out your plethora of
idiotic shortcomings, you "did it all on purpose". Naaa, you ARE the
idiot you 'play' to be.
Anyway, I have tired of you. Talk to me again after you graduate grade
5.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not a problem, bring him along.

"CW" wrote in message
m...
Sure, you mind if I bring my dog?
"CW" wrote in message
news:tIOdnWl5ruOR3NrRnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@earthlink. com...
Want to come along?
"CW" wrote in message
news:tIOdnWl5ruOR3NrRnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@earthlink .com...
I'm doing great. I'm heading out to the lake for a little boating and
swimming.
"CW" wrote in message

m...
How are you?
"CW" wrote in message
news:tIOdnWl5ruOR3NrRnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@earthli nk.com...
Great day to be alive.
"CW" wrote in message
news:tIOdnWl5ruOR3NrRnZ2dnUVZ_j6dnZ2d@earthl ink.com...
Hey Jim, how's it going?

"CW" wrote in message
om...
He's right. Nobody top posts. Doesn't everybody talk like this?
You walk out of your house and you see your neighbor, Jim.
You: Hey Jim, how's it going?
Jim: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you?
You: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you? I'm
doing great. I'm heading out to the lake for a little boating and
swimming. Want to come along?
Jim: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you? I'm
doing great. I'm heading out to the lake for a little boating and
swimming. Want to come along? Sure, you mind if I bring my dog?
You: Hey Jim, how's it going? Great day to be alive. How are you? I'm
doing great. I'm heading out to the lake for a little boating and
swimming. Want to come along? Sure, you mind if I bring my dog? Not a
problem, bring him along.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 21, 11:24 am, "Josepi" wrote:

Many prefer it. Perhaps you need a more advanced reader that can decode
more
modern posting styles?

MANY prefer it? Look around you. Nobody top-posts in here. It is rude
to top-post.
But if you want to pick your nose and scratch your balls at the dinner
table, proclaiming it is 'modern' then by all means look like the
rudenick you are.
*I* think, however, that you're just a contrary little punk who needs
to grow up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try to come up to the 90's and get a decent reader that handles it.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
MANY prefer it? Look around you. Nobody top-posts in here. It is rude
to top-post.
But if you want to pick your nose and scratch your balls at the dinner
table, proclaiming it is 'modern' then by all means look like the
rudenick you are.
*I* think, however, that you're just a contrary little punk who needs
to grow up

On Jul 21, 11:24 am, "Josepi" wrote:

Many prefer it. Perhaps you need a more advanced reader that can decode
more
modern posting styles?

--
Have your accounts been removed by other's complaints?
Do you like to force your opinions on others?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:47:31 -0400, "Josepi"
wrote:

I can read any format, after I graduated from grade 5

Ah it tis Jethro Bodine.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message

I haven't found that you contribute anything worthwhile to this group and
**** seems to fallow you. I have now killfiled three posters by your name.
Hopefully, you are the last one. ZOT, you're gone

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 21, 5:24*pm, "Josepi" wrote:

Please like me
and my jokes, or I will be very upset, and make even more little
jokes so you jump in as the dumb ass I say, I post, I belief, I wish,

Get some help. *(?? I belief ???)

You are not a worthy adversary.

That's your schtick, eh? When somebody points out your plethora of
idiotic shortcomings, you "did it all on purpose". Naaa, you ARE the
idiot you 'play' to be.
Anyway, I have tired of you. Talk to me again after you graduate grade
5.

Toy, if you insist on replying to known trolls like this, you'll end
up in everyone's killfile...again.

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Posted to rec.woodworking

Why I am turned over by your pointy head, fallowed even LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Golly gee you just trussed that hog up, sucker LOL LOL LOL LOL
Killfile your stoopid ass, dumb wood borer, granny sayed too.

"CW" wrote in message

I haven't found that you contribute anything worthwhile to this group and
**** seems to fallow you. I have now killfiled three posters by your name.
Hopefully, you are the last one. ZOT, you're gone

Posted to rec.woodworking

Is that team like in mortis and tenon, plugging YOUR butt, bigboy? LOL LOL
Why I am turned over by your pointy head, plonked even LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Welcome to my web, sucker, just try and get out!
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL

On 7/21/2010 8:47 PM, Josepi wrote:
I can read any format, after I graduated from grade 5

You guys need a better troll than posting style.

Who gives a **** what YOU can read? We can all read it too, but who WANTS to?
The vast majority of us here prefer to read conversations top to bottom, like
a book or an interview, in the order that the conversation actually *occurred*.
You've been politely asked over and over not to top-post, and you've either
blatantly ignored the requests or you've replied with snide and condescending
remarks. Congratulations! I'm sure you can just imagine all the new friends
you've made! You're just like the obnoxious new kid that horns in on a group
of life-long friends and expects the whole clan to bend to YOUR way of doing
things. You need to eat some serious crow or you will be plonked and ignored
by 95% of the people here, and something tells me you're already about 95% of
the way there. Way to go; you really know how to be a part of the team.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

A. Because it makes the discussion harder to read.
Q. Why should I not top-post?
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

How many names have you been trolling this crap under?

I would have thought such a seasoned user would know how to use a
killfilter.

Better trolling next time. Pehaps a more convincing nym?

"Sybil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I haven't found that you contribute anything worthwhile to this group and
**** seems to fallow you. I have now killfiled three posters by your name.
Hopefully, you are the last one. ZOT, you're gone

Which, BTW, is how modern news readers handle the problem of top-posters.