DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Router lift recommendations (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/306557-router-lift-recommendations.html)

[email protected] July 16th 10 02:12 AM

Router lift recommendations

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

[email protected] July 16th 10 04:18 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:12:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

I like my Jet Xacta Lift. It's really a JessEm Rout-R-Lift in drag, but I
still like it. The only fault I have with it is that it doesn't fit a
"standard" table. The plate is something like 11-3/4" X 14-3/4" (rather than
9-1/4" X 11-3/4").

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708124-XLI.../dp/B0007G8I9C

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] July 16th 10 11:02 AM

wrote in message
Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

I have that one and love it. Very precise, easy to set.

Swingman July 16th 10 01:45 PM

On 7/15/2010 8:12 PM, wrote:
Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

I have it ... excellent unit!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Pat Barber[_2_] July 16th 10 07:44 PM

Router lift recommendations

I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Robatoy[_2_] July 16th 10 09:16 PM

On Jul 16, 2:44*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

WAY too much money. Buy a shaper already!

[email protected] July 17th 10 01:38 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:16:12 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jul 16, 2:44*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

WAY too much money. Buy a shaper already!

Are you adding in the cost of the sharp things?

Robatoy[_2_] July 17th 10 02:35 AM

Router lift recommendations

wrote:

On Jul 16, 2:44*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

WAY too much money. Buy a shaper already!

Are you adding in the cost of the sharp things?

Shapers can run 1/2" router bits.... in fact, they do so quite well.
A set of cutters, the insert kind, don't have to cost an arm and a leg
either.
One nice thing is the induction motor of a shaper. quiet and constant
speed. Usually pretty nice fence (two piece) dust collection, and a
nice sturdy table. This looks like a lot of machine:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-1-2-HP-Shaper/G1035

CW[_6_] July 17th 10 04:45 AM

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 2:44 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

WAY too much money. Buy a shaper already!

Or one of the above table adjustable routers. There is always this option
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5SzkQTxMvA

[email protected] July 17th 10 04:51 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:35:42 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

A lot of what a router (in table) is asked to do really is a shaper's job but
the router is more versatile. I'll stick with the router. ...at least for
now. ;-)

Josepi[_12_] July 17th 10 04:56 AM

Router lift recommendations

Those huge 3.5" dia blades scare the hell out of me.

I'll stick with the router, also. Somewhat limited but more versatile.

B.I.L. worked on a shaper professionally and made a vest of 1 x 2 pine, in a
ribs like fashion. He tooks some ridicule for a long time until a few years
later a shaper did throw a blade and it stuck in the vest. WHEW !

Robatoy[_2_] July 17th 10 05:16 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Jul 16, 11:51*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:35:42 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If you have to have one, a router is a better choice. But many people
I know will mount their router in a table and leave it there. In that
case, I think a shaper is a better investment.

[email protected] July 17th 10 06:03 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 21:16:49 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jul 16, 11:51*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:35:42 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I now have four. Am I allowed to leave one in the table (lift)?

Just Wondering July 17th 10 08:45 AM

On 7/16/2010 12:44 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

Amazon.com prices:
Bench Dog ProLift - $325
Triton 3-1/4-HP router with built-in lift $270
Triton 2-1/4 HP router with built-in lift $220
Check the customer reviews, Tritons get high raves. I bought the
smaller router myself, it came with both 1/4 and 1/2 collets. I
installed it with a Rockler aluminum router table plate, total cost
still far less than the Bench Dog. The set-up is rock solid. I can now
accurately adjust my router up/down in .001 increments (confirmed with a
digital height gauge) in mere seconds, couldn't be easier. I also like
how the Triton automatically locks and unlocks the collet when I raise
and lower the router for bit changes.

Larry Jaques[_2_] July 17th 10 05:41 PM

wrote the following:

On Jul 16, 2:44*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

WAY too much money. Buy a shaper already!

If router elevators ever drop below the "price contains a comma"
level, let me know, eh? They're getting Festering prices for that
crap, mon. UFR!

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

Larry Jaques[_2_] July 17th 10 05:52 PM

Router lift recommendations

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:45:47 -0700, "CW"
wrote the following:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 2:44 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

WAY too much money. Buy a shaper already!

Or one of the above table adjustable routers. There is always this option
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5SzkQTxMvA

Cdub, I prefer this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXplz3SrMk
Why spend THREE GRAND on a Multi-Router?

[email protected] July 18th 10 12:20 AM

Router lift recommendations

wrote the following:

On Jul 16, 2:44*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

WAY too much money. Buy a shaper already!

If router elevators ever drop below the "price contains a comma"
level, let me know, eh? They're getting Festering prices for that
crap, mon. UFR!

Huh? They're only a third of that and only a half of the price of the
festering router that they really need. ;-) You can get both and not need a
comma.

Lobby Dosser[_3_] July 18th 10 12:54 AM

wrote the following:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 2:44 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

WAY too much money. Buy a shaper already!

Or one of the above table adjustable routers. There is always this option
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5SzkQTxMvA

Cdub, I prefer this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXplz3SrMk
Why spend THREE GRAND on a Multi-Router?

WOW!! And only $14.00 for the Plans!! Definitely go to the web site.

All said, the mother site will likely cost me Hours.

Larry Jaques[_2_] July 18th 10 05:04 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:54:21 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote the following:

.. .
wrote the following:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 2:44 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I have had this one for a few years and as far I can tell, they
make them for several other folks:

http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT.html

It is a excellent, well made product.

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

WAY too much money. Buy a shaper already!

Or one of the above table adjustable routers. There is always this option
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5SzkQTxMvA

Cdub, I prefer this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXplz3SrMk
Why spend THREE GRAND on a Multi-Router?

WOW!! And only $14.00 for the Plans!! Definitely go to the web site.

Total cost (with owner already owning a router) is under $100, half
the price of one of the overpriced POS lifts.

All said, the mother site will likely cost me Hours.

That's an absolute given. ;)

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Robatoy[_2_] July 18th 10 05:21 AM

wrote the following:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

That's an absolute given. *;)

with cheerfulness. *-- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Canuckistani no less...

Larry Jaques[_2_] July 18th 10 02:06 PM

Router lift recommendations

wrote the following:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

Y'mean "Canuckistani for a change", don'tcha?
duckin', bigtime

with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Robatoy[_2_] July 18th 10 06:10 PM

wrote the following:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

We have a few talented people up here. Out of 33.5 million population
we get lucky sometimes. Like the guy who developed the adhesive that
hold igs together. (IgGlue)

I'll be here all week.

Try the veal.

Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Puckdropper[_2_] July 18th 10 09:22 PM

Router lift recommendations

Robatoy wrote in
:

*snip*

Don't forget to tip your waitress.

To what angle?

Puckdropper

[email protected] July 18th 10 09:45 PM

Router lift recommendations

On 18 Jul 2010 20:22:51 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Robatoy wrote in
:

*snip*

Don't forget to tip your waitress.

To what angle?

Horizontal, if neither she nor your wife objects.

Dan July 19th 10 12:23 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Thu 15 Jul 2010 08:12:25p, "
wrote in news:a13569d8-7ba0-497f-8e3f-
:

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

I haven't seen anyone mention Router Raizer yet, so I'll chime in with
that. My router table is a 1 inch thick piece of table top from a dead
computer desk (the top was the only part of that desk that wasn't junk),
a Hitachi M12V, clamped to a WorkMate 550 and a homemade wood fence.
They had a sale at a woodworking show some years back and I decided it
was cheap enough, and the demo was good enough, to make it look like a
good gamble. About 70 bucks American, I think I paid.

I like it. There's a crank you have to keep handy and a little magnetic
cap for the crank hole, but so far that hasn't been a bother.

Then again, maybe I like it because it was so cheap and fits right in
with the whole Mickey Mouse arrangement for the router table. :-) I know
for sure it's a whole lot more fun than messing with the default height
adjustment, and just as accurate.

Leon[_6_] July 19th 10 12:36 AM

wrote in message
Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they
really like or should stay away from?

Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning
towards the Bench Dog ProLift.

MJ

The Bench Dog is an excellent lift. But condiser that for the price of a
good lift you can buy a good router with the lift built in and you end up
with another router. I had a large Bosch hanging under my table for about
20 years and replaced it with a Triton router about 7 years ago, it has a
built in lift and works well with the Bench Dog table.

Upscale July 19th 10 01:03 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:36:48 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

20 years and replaced it with a Triton router about 7 years ago, it has a
built in lift and works well with the Bench Dog table.

Question about lifting the router while in the table. How
easy/accurate is it to operate? I'm guessing, maybe wrongly, that you
have to operate the lift with your hands under the table. I'm just
wondering how convenient operating the Triton router lift is compared
to one of the above table adjustments. Obviously, there is a price
difference between the two, but that's not the question I'm asking.

Lobby Dosser[_3_] July 19th 10 01:14 AM

wrote:

20 years and replaced it with a Triton router about 7 years ago, it has a
built in lift and works well with the Bench Dog table.

Question about lifting the router while in the table. How
easy/accurate is it to operate? I'm guessing, maybe wrongly, that you
have to operate the lift with your hands under the table. I'm just
wondering how convenient operating the Triton router lift is compared
to one of the above table adjustments. Obviously, there is a price
difference between the two, but that's not the question I'm asking.

See photo in Amazon listing.

http://www.amazon.com/Triton-MOF001C...9498405&sr=1-2

[email protected] July 19th 10 01:37 AM

wrote:

20 years and replaced it with a Triton router about 7 years ago, it has a
built in lift and works well with the Bench Dog table.

Question about lifting the router while in the table. How
easy/accurate is it to operate? I'm guessing, maybe wrongly, that you
have to operate the lift with your hands under the table. I'm just
wondering how convenient operating the Triton router lift is compared
to one of the above table adjustments. Obviously, there is a price
difference between the two, but that's not the question I'm asking.

The Triton router adjusts from above the table, apparently. I've never used
one, so...

Bottom of the page:
http://www.ptreeusa.com/routers.htm#8052

Robatoy[_2_] July 19th 10 04:29 AM

Router lift recommendations

wrote:

20 years and replaced it with a Triton router about 7 years ago, it has a
built in lift and works well with the Bench Dog table.

Question about lifting the router while in the table. How
easy/accurate is it to operate? I'm guessing, maybe wrongly, that you
have to operate the lift with *your hands under the table. I'm just
wondering how convenient operating the Triton router lift is compared
to one of the above table adjustments. Obviously, there is a price
difference between the two, but that's not the question I'm asking.

The Triton router adjusts from above the table, apparently. *I've never used
one, so...

Bottom of the page:http://www.ptreeusa.com/routers.htm#8052*

Any of the Milwaukee routers adjusts from the top of the table. Not
just accurately, but damned fine machinery to boot.

Max July 19th 10 02:53 PM

Router lift recommendations

"Robatoy" wrote

Any of the Milwaukee routers adjusts from the top of the table. Not
just accurately, but damned fine machinery to boot.

What he said.
I'm happy with my "5625-20"

Max

Leon[_6_] July 19th 10 04:26 PM

wrote:

20 years and replaced it with a Triton router about 7 years ago, it has a
built in lift and works well with the Bench Dog table.

Question about lifting the router while in the table. How
easy/accurate is it to operate? I'm guessing, maybe wrongly, that you
have to operate the lift with your hands under the table. I'm just
wondering how convenient operating the Triton router lift is compared
to one of the above table adjustments. Obviously, there is a price
difference between the two, but that's not the question I'm asking.

My older Triton has a fine adjust knob that you twist, it is at the top of
the router but the bottom when hanging therefore it is easy to reach. The
newer models allow adjustment from the top of the table. Additionally the
coarse adjust knob is located on one of the handles, that too is easy to get
to.

Given that, most of the after market router lifts do offer a method to raise
the bit a precise measured distance. I have never had the desire or the
need for any type reference, I use my eyes and a test piece to determine If
I am cutting in the correct location.

Steve Turner July 19th 10 06:26 PM

Router lift recommendations

On 07/19/2010 08:43 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 02:33:42 -0500, "woodstuff"
wrote the following:

I do not recomment any Grizzly machinery. I have had lotsa problems with a
Grizzly machine (GO454).
Don't get me started on that. A used machine made in the USA would be about
the same cost and 10 times better.

And the other 99% of us have owned several Griz machines and haven't
had a lick of trouble with -any- of them. YMMV.

Add me to that list. I have the G0453 planer (the 15" version of the 20" planer mentioned
above), G0440 2HP cyclone dust collector, and the G1495 lathe. My dad has a 15" planer and
dust collector (both different models than mine), a 8" jointer, a G1035 shaper, and a 14"
bandsaw. No problems with any of them.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

woodstuff[_2_] July 19th 10 09:08 PM

wrote the following:

[...]

I guess it is personal preference for me to not like Grizzly, and I am
probably unjustified in saying anything bad. I have a friend who has a
couple of their shapers and a bandsaw and he says that they do ok. So I
hereby backpetal on any comments about Grizzly.

woodstuff

Robatoy[_2_] July 20th 10 01:44 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Jul 19, 8:12*pm, "
wrote:

Induction motors are certainly a win but not because of dB, rather HP. *That
said, an electronically controlled router will have a pretty consistent RPM,
as well.

Always compensating after the fact. Just ain't da same.

Robatoy[_2_] July 20th 10 01:45 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Jul 19, 8:12*pm, "
wrote:

However, a shaper won't turn smaller bits at a high enough RPM. *Certainly
there is a common area for the two tools, but there is a lot at either end, as
well. *

Agreed.

Robatoy[_2_] July 20th 10 02:08 AM

Router lift recommendations

On Jul 19, 8:59*pm, "Josepi" wrote:
Just like sex for ya'

I wouldn't know... but by all means, spare us the details.

Josepi[_12_] July 20th 10 02:18 AM

Router lift recommendations

OMG! You have never had "sex"?

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I wouldn't know... but by all means, spare us the details.

On Jul 19, 8:59 pm, "Josepi" wrote:
Just like sex for ya'