Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Router lift recommendations

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

"Quiet" was never a huge winner, in my book. Cutting wood is noisy.

True but a shaper sounds good, a routers scream is horrendous.

I don't find router noise to be all that bad. I think my Dewalt planer
is
worse.

Perhaps a segmented spiral cutter head would help?

Perhaps an induction motor would help. My old Ryobi AP10 portable planer
was much louder than my 15" stationary Delta planer.

Having said that, every home wood shop needs at least one router, but
not a shaper. A shaper is a luxury in a home shop.

So is the space it takes.

Space is usually a luxury but if you gots the room, and the money, a
shaper is nice, and the lift awesome.

I certainly would spend $300 on a heavy duty router with built in lift
like the Triton before spending it on just a lift. If you already have
a router, well, now you'd have two, a very good idea in itself.

No Festering 2200? I bought a lift about five years ago for a router I
bought
with the intention of leaving in a table. I really like the lift and
don't
have any intention of replacing the router (subject to tomorrow's whim).
The
next purchase in this area is going to be a new top. I'm looking to build
new table, perhaps when it gets cooler.

Makes sense, but, the issue was buying a router lift. If you're going to
spend $300 on a lift, then, why not buy another router for less with a
built in lift?

Exactly!