Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Router lift recommendations

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

"One nice thing is the induction motor of a shaper. quiet and constant
speed."

"Quiet" was never a huge winner, in my book. Cutting wood is noisy.

True but a shaper sounds good, a routers scream is horrendous. I always
use my shaper over the router if possible. The main problem is cost of
cutters, but I personally don't use all that many different cutters.
Straight cutter for patterns and round over bits are most common. Cope
and stick cutters are really pricey. I've always wanted to buy a set
but what to buy is confusing and I don't build enough doors to go for it.

Having said that, every home wood shop needs at least one router, but
not a shaper. A shaper is a luxury in a home shop.

I certainly would spend $300 on a heavy duty router with built in lift
like the Triton before spending it on just a lift. If you already have
a router, well, now you'd have two, a very good idea in itself.

--
Jack
Obama Ca Efficiency of the DMV, compassion of the IRS!