Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Router lift recommendations

On Jul 21, 8:53*am, Jack Stein wrote:
wrote:
"Quiet" was never a huge winner, in my book. *Cutting wood is noisy.. *
True but a shaper sounds good, a routers scream is horrendous.

I don't find router noise to be all that bad. *I think my Dewalt planer is
worse.

Perhaps a segmented spiral cutter head would help?

Having said that, every home wood shop needs at least one router, but
not a shaper. *A shaper is a luxury in a home shop.

So is the space it takes.

Space is usually a luxury but if you gots the room, and the money, a
shaper is nice, and the lift awesome.

I certainly would spend $300 on a heavy duty router with built in lift
like the Triton before spending it on just a lift. *If you already have
a router, well, now you'd have two, a very good idea in itself.

No Festering 2200? *I bought a lift about five years ago for a router I bought
with the intention of leaving in a table. *I really like the lift and don't
have any intention of replacing the router (subject to tomorrow's whim).. *The
next purchase in this area is going to be a new top. I'm looking to build a
new table, perhaps when it gets cooler.

Makes sense, but, the issue was buying a router lift. *If you're going
to spend $300 on a lift, then, why not buy another router for less with
a built in lift?

I already have the router and lift (Jet Xacta Lift, which is a
rebadged JessEm Rout-R-Lift). The router is no Festering 2200 but it
doesn't need to be.

http://www.jessem.com/ROUT-R-LIFT.html