Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hair Drill Warning

Using one of those 24" drill bits (from HFT) to drill a hole through
three pieces of material while standing on a ladder I felt something.

I kept on going and drilled the first eight-inch hole, drove in the
bolt and tightened it up before proceeding to drill the hole for the
second bolt.

This time, I turned my head to sight down the bit to make sure I
drilled a straight hole and really felt something.

My long hair had wrapped around the drill bit so tight that I actually
pulled a 2 x 3" patch of hair from my scalp!

Hurt like hell for a minute or so while my wife (glad she was there)
helped me reverse the bit, get off the ladder and extricate my head
from my electric drill.

Thought it was worth posting my wife's advice - "pull your hair back
and wrap it in a pony tail."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2010 2:21 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
Using one of those 24" drill bits (from HFT) to drill a hole through
three pieces of material while standing on a ladder I felt something.

I kept on going and drilled the first eight-inch hole, drove in the
bolt and tightened it up before proceeding to drill the hole for the
second bolt.

This time, I turned my head to sight down the bit to make sure I
drilled a straight hole and really felt something.

My long hair had wrapped around the drill bit so tight that I actually
pulled a 2 x 3" patch of hair from my scalp!

Hurt like hell for a minute or so while my wife (glad she was there)
helped me reverse the bit, get off the ladder and extricate my head
from my electric drill.

Thought it was worth posting my wife's advice - "pull your hair back
and wrap it in a pony tail."

I'd cut the long hair off.
Least you could do is wear a cap and tuck your mop under it.
Long hair and rotating machinery are a very dangerous combination .
Your lucky it wasn't a gear driven pedestal drill .
I saw a guy have his scalp ripped clean off his head using a radial arm
tool room drill .
Made me sick in the guts.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

I'd cut the long hair off.
Least you could do is wear a cap and tuck your mop under it.
Long hair and rotating machinery are a very dangerous combination .
Your lucky it wasn't a gear driven pedestal drill .
I saw a guy have his scalp ripped clean off his head using a radial arm
tool room drill .
Made me sick in the guts.

At my high school, there was a student with about half of his hair
ripped off taped to the drill press.

In the last few days, my wife and I worked out a rule about interrupting
me while I am working with electrical wiring or power tools. She did not
"get it" until I more carefully explained how important it is for me to
keep my concentration during those times. So far, just saying "remember
our main rule" has allowed me to stay on track.

A 30 year-old story my mother seems to like to tell is when I was
painting the trim on her 2nd-story windows on a ladder, and she turned
and said good-bye to me as she was leaving. Both hands full, I turned
towards her and had a "real-interesting" moment there as I searched for
my center of gravity. My wife had heard that story, and when I recalled
it this week, she "got it".

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry W" wrote

I'd hate to hear your advice to someone who injured their genitals.

With all the "attachments" and accidents with a reciprocating saw used for
sexual purposes, it won't be long before we see a warning label concerning
this "unauthorized" use for this tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

At my high school, there was a student with about half of his hair
ripped off taped to the drill press.

Of course, I meant to write: At my high school, there was a *picture*
of a student with about half of his hair ripped off taped to the drill
press.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2010 5:00 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Larry wrote

I'd hate to hear your advice to someone who injured their genitals.

With all the "attachments" and accidents with a reciprocating saw used for
sexual purposes, it won't be long before we see a warning label concerning
this "unauthorized" use for this tool.

I cant imagine a reciPRICKating saw being much use for for sexual purposes .

Oh !!!!!! wait I get it now

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2010 6:14 PM, Stuart wrote:
In om.au,
wrote:

I'd cut the long hair off.
Least you could do is wear a cap and tuck your mop under it.
Long hair and rotating machinery are a very dangerous combination .

This needs no words

http://www.lildobe.net/gallery2/v/Di...athe_Accident/

barffff eeeerrrk , I didnt really need that ,I've been around rotating
machinery all my working life and I know what it can do .
I've seen a few gorey episodes in the last 45 years .
wearing gloves while usiing drills ,long hair around drills and
clothing getting caught in lathes.
Digits being removed by rotating vee belts etc.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Lee Michaels" wrote:

"Larry W" wrote

I'd hate to hear your advice to someone who injured their genitals.

With all the "attachments" and accidents with a reciprocating saw used for
sexual purposes, it won't be long before we see a warning label concerning
this "unauthorized" use for this tool.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...2520&catid=158
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:51:05 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi wrote:

Using one of those 24" drill bits (from HFT) to drill a hole through
three pieces of material while standing on a ladder I felt something.

I kept on going and drilled the first eight-inch hole, drove in the
bolt and tightened it up before proceeding to drill the hole for the
second bolt.

This time, I turned my head to sight down the bit to make sure I
drilled a straight hole and really felt something.

My long hair had wrapped around the drill bit so tight that I actually
pulled a 2 x 3" patch of hair from my scalp!

Hurt like hell for a minute or so while my wife (glad she was there)
helped me reverse the bit, get off the ladder and extricate my head
from my electric drill.

Thought it was worth posting my wife's advice - "pull your hair back
and wrap it in a pony tail."

Ouch!

I worked at a log house factory back in the 70"s
and saw a guy get about half his hair yanked out
on a large pantograph router, busted his head
up badly when it smacked the side of the machine.
He was lucky all he lost was hair.

I have long hair and keep it tied in a pony tail
most all the time, especially when working.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

At my high school, there was a student with about half of his hair
ripped off taped to the drill press.

Of course, I meant to write: At my high school, there was a *picture* of
a student with about half of his hair ripped off taped to the drill press.

I liked the first one better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 9, 1:40*am, Bill wrote:
Kevin(Bluey) wrote:
I'd cut the long hair off.
Least you could do is wear a cap and tuck your mop under it.
Long hair and rotating machinery are a very dangerous combination .
Your lucky it wasn't a gear driven pedestal drill .
I saw a guy have his scalp ripped clean off his head using a radial arm
tool room drill .
Made me sick in the guts.

At my high school, there was a student with about half of his hair
ripped off taped to the drill press.

In the last few days, my wife and I worked out a rule about interrupting
me while I am working with electrical wiring or power tools. She did not
"get it" until I more carefully explained how important it is for me to
keep my concentration during those times. *So far, just saying "remember
our main rule" has allowed me to stay on track.

I had similar "discussions" with SWMBO, years ago. She now refuses to
be in the area when I'm working, which means no more help. Be warned.

A 30 year-old story my mother seems to like to tell is when I was
painting the trim on her 2nd-story windows on a ladder, and she turned
and said good-bye to me as she was leaving. *Both hands full, I turned
towards her and had a "real-interesting" moment there as I searched for
my center of gravity. My wife had heard that story, and when I recalled
it this week, she "got it".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2010 7:41 AM, basilisk wrote:
[...]

I used to. Then my router started climbing my hair. Fortunately it
stalled before it got to my face. I walked into the first barber shop
(or what passes for one these days) I saw and asked for a #2 buzz cut.
The guy looked at me like I was nuts. I asked him what the problem was.
He had no idea what "#2 buzz cut" meant. I thanked him for his time,
went down to Wally World and shelled out 20 bucks for a clipper, put the

#2 comb on it, and problem solved.

Long hair becomes the sixth appendage to keep out of harms way,
annoying sometimes.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote

I arrange to meet people all over the south when delivering dogs
and I tell them to look for the ugliest, leftover hippie in sight.

Don't want to scare them, they have to have some warning.

There ya go. An ugly warning.

I never thought of that. But it makes sense.

That is very considerate of you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:56:37 -0400, Lee Michaels wrote:

"basilisk" wrote

I arrange to meet people all over the south when delivering dogs
and I tell them to look for the ugliest, leftover hippie in sight.

Don't want to scare them, they have to have some warning.

There ya go. An ugly warning.

I never thought of that. But it makes sense.

That is very considerate of you.

I have to admit it isn't all altruistic, I don't want to
drive 200 miles and then lose a sale because my clients
fled in terror.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was going to ask.

What was taped?

The student
half the hair or
the high school?

LOL Good post proofreading!

"Bill" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

At my high school, there was a student with about half of his hair
ripped off taped to the drill press.

Of course, I meant to write: At my high school, there was a *picture*
of a student with about half of his hair ripped off taped to the drill
press.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I always wondered why the variable speed on those things.

And now, many come with the purple sex lights by the bit holder too!

"Kevin(Bluey)" wrote in message
news I cant imagine a reciPRICKating saw being much use for for sexual purposes .

Oh !!!!!! wait I get it now

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
[...]

Wally World and shelled out 20 bucks for a clipper, put the #2 comb on it,
and problem solved.

Ties can also be a problem. CFO of a company I worked for was working late
one night and got his tie caught in the portable shredder. The shredder
chewed its way up his tie as he madly tried to power it off. He nailed the
tied to the wall above the shredder. Made you think before shredding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:

Thought it was worth posting my wife's advice - "pull your hair back
and wrap it in a pony tail."

You suck. There are lots of us who had that kind of hair, and now don't.
To you and those like you who still have that hair, we enviously state - I
phart in your general directionk, sir...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

I'd cut the long hair off.

I wouldn't.

Least you could do is wear a cap and tuck your mop under it.
Long hair and rotating machinery are a very dangerous combination .
Your lucky it wasn't a gear driven pedestal drill .
I saw a guy have his scalp ripped clean off his head using a radial
arm tool room drill .
Made me sick in the guts.

Me thinks you just don't like his long hair.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

I'd cut the long hair off.
Least you could do is wear a cap and tuck your mop under it.
Long hair and rotating machinery are a very dangerous combination .

This needs no words

http://www.lildobe.net/gallery2/v/Di...athe_Accident/

Good for you. You found something gory to post. Maybe you should do a
google search for saw accidents too. You could just do on and on finding
things that would put us all out of business.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote

I used to. Then my router started climbing my hair. Fortunately it
stalled before it got to my face. I walked into the first barber shop (or
what passes for one these days) I saw and asked for a #2 buzz cut. The guy
looked at me like I was nuts. I asked him what the problem was. He had no
idea what "#2 buzz cut" meant. I thanked him for his time, went down to
Wally World and shelled out 20 bucks for a clipper, put the #2 comb on it,
and problem solved.

Never had really long hair, never saw the fascination. I have the same
clipper for what is left. Life is easier being bald. I should have done
this 40 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote

I used to. Then my router started climbing my hair. Fortunately it
stalled before it got to my face. I walked into the first barber
shop (or what passes for one these days) I saw and asked for a #2
buzz cut. The guy looked at me like I was nuts. I asked him what
the problem was. He had no idea what "#2 buzz cut" meant. I thanked
him for his time, went down to Wally World and shelled out 20 bucks
for a clipper, put the #2 comb on it, and problem solved.

Never had really long hair, never saw the fascination. I have the same
clipper for what is left. Life is easier being bald. I should have
done this 40 years ago.

Damn Edwin - I wish I had your outlook - but... I don't.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2010 11:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote

I used to. Then my router started climbing my hair. Fortunately it
stalled before it got to my face. I walked into the first barber shop
(or what passes for one these days) I saw and asked for a #2 buzz cut.
The guy looked at me like I was nuts. I asked him what the problem
was. He had no idea what "#2 buzz cut" meant. I thanked him for his
time, went down to Wally World and shelled out 20 bucks for a clipper,
put the #2 comb on it, and problem solved.

Never had really long hair, never saw the fascination.

I wasn't a Hippy in the '60s and decided to try it out for a while.

I have the same
clipper for what is left. Life is easier being bald. I should have done
this 40 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

Hey, his shop. He make the rules.

-----------------------
And Darwin still rules.

Fortunately.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

Hey, his shop. He make the rules.

-----------------------
And Darwin still rules.

the barrancas and a man there is always alone.

Fortunately.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote

I wasn't a Hippy in the '60s and decided to try it out for a while.

The "free love" thing was OK but I never participated in the rest. I laugh
when I see some of the now aged hippies nearly bald that still have a
scraggly pony tail.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/10/2010 12:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote

I wasn't a Hippy in the '60s and decided to try it out for a while.

The "free love" thing was OK but I never participated in the rest. I
laugh when I see some of the now aged hippies nearly bald that still
have a scraggly pony tail.

I work with a few of those. DUDE, cut your hair! The party's over!

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/10/10 12:24 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 7/10/2010 12:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote

I wasn't a Hippy in the '60s and decided to try it out for a while.

The "free love" thing was OK but I never participated in the rest. I
laugh when I see some of the now aged hippies nearly bald that still
have a scraggly pony tail.

I work with a few of those. DUDE, cut your hair! The party's over!

I saw a bumper sticker on the college campus....

"Jerry's Dead, Phish Sucks, Get a Job."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 23:18:53 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote the following:

Hoosierpopi wrote:

Thought it was worth posting my wife's advice - "pull your hair back
and wrap it in a pony tail."

You suck. There are lots of us who had that kind of hair, and now don't.
To you and those like you who still have that hair, we enviously state - I
phart in your general directionk, sir...

I started cutting my hair shorter the day I ran over a hank of it with
the creeper wheel and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I had to drag
my butt off the creeper and wormcrawl out from under the car, dragging
the creeper by my hair with a bleeding scalp. Not my fondest memory.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 23:24:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote the following:

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

I'd cut the long hair off.
Least you could do is wear a cap and tuck your mop under it.
Long hair and rotating machinery are a very dangerous combination .

This needs no words

http://www.lildobe.net/gallery2/v/Di...athe_Accident/

Look at the hammer on the right in the first picture. It appears that
the guy was a Darwin Award tryout from the beginning.

Good for you. You found something gory to post. Maybe you should do a
google search for saw accidents too. You could just do on and on finding
things that would put us all out of business.

My favorite(?) is the bandsaw suicide.
http://www.suicidemethods.net/pix/bandsaw.htm

More gore, and the reasons given for their posting:
http://www.suicidemethods.net/pix/listpix.htm

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
our every deficiency in foresight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:27:01 -0400, "Buddy Matlosz"
wrote the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 00:14:53 -0400, "Buddy Matlosz"
wrote the following:

My uncle had a falsetto teeth.

Bailiff, whack his pee pee.

OK, I confess to stealing that one from Chico Marx.

And I from Cheech and Chong.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
our every deficiency in foresight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 21:38:55 -0500, Steve Turner
wrote the following:

I said:
Bailiff, whack his pee pee.

Are you Leslie Horwinkle?

I think that was Sister Mary Elephant. No, it was the judge.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
our every deficiency in foresight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

I said:
Bailiff, whack his pee pee.

Are you Leslie Horwinkle?

I think that was Sister Mary Elephant. No, it was the judge.

Yes, the judge was the orator in both cases. Leslie Horwinkle was the one with the naughty
pee pee. :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

*wrote the following:

I said:
Bailiff, whack his pee pee.

Are you Leslie Horwinkle?

I think that was Sister Mary Elephant. No, it was the judge.

Yes, the judge was the orator in both cases. *Leslie Horwinkle was the one with the naughty
pee pee. *:-)

--
See Nad. *See Nad go. *Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

THE line/moment that truly cracked me up beyond repair was when Blind
Melon Chitlins blew this huge raspberry and then: "somebody hand him
his harmonica!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

I said:
Bailiff, whack his pee pee.

Are you Leslie Horwinkle?

I think that was Sister Mary Elephant. No, it was the judge.

Yes, the judge was the orator in both cases. Leslie Horwinkle was the one with the naughty
pee pee. :-)

THE line/moment that truly cracked me up beyond repair was when Blind
Melon Chitlins blew this huge raspberry and then: "somebody hand him
his harmonica!"

For me it was when he first started to sing, but wasn't "annunciating".

"Whoa gol dang gol gaaanng, dona ging gong gong."

Hah, found it! Right here, at 2:00 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFP-1eU0KkI

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

*wrote the following:

I said:
Bailiff, whack his pee pee.

Are you Leslie Horwinkle?

I think that was Sister Mary Elephant. No, it was the judge.

Yes, the judge was the orator in both cases. *Leslie Horwinkle was the one with the naughty
pee pee. *:-)

--
See Nad. *See Nad go. *Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

THE line/moment that truly cracked me up beyond repair was when Blind
Melon Chitlins blew this huge raspberry and then: "somebody hand him
his harmonica!"

g I liked his blues, BTW.