Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Hair Drill Warning

Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

I'd cut the long hair off.
Least you could do is wear a cap and tuck your mop under it.
Long hair and rotating machinery are a very dangerous combination .
Your lucky it wasn't a gear driven pedestal drill .
I saw a guy have his scalp ripped clean off his head using a radial arm
tool room drill .
Made me sick in the guts.

At my high school, there was a student with about half of his hair
ripped off taped to the drill press.

In the last few days, my wife and I worked out a rule about interrupting
me while I am working with electrical wiring or power tools. She did not
"get it" until I more carefully explained how important it is for me to
keep my concentration during those times. So far, just saying "remember
our main rule" has allowed me to stay on track.

A 30 year-old story my mother seems to like to tell is when I was
painting the trim on her 2nd-story windows on a ladder, and she turned
and said good-bye to me as she was leaving. Both hands full, I turned
towards her and had a "real-interesting" moment there as I searched for
my center of gravity. My wife had heard that story, and when I recalled
it this week, she "got it".

Bill