Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default Hair Drill Warning

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:51:05 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi wrote:

Using one of those 24" drill bits (from HFT) to drill a hole through
three pieces of material while standing on a ladder I felt something.

I kept on going and drilled the first eight-inch hole, drove in the
bolt and tightened it up before proceeding to drill the hole for the
second bolt.

This time, I turned my head to sight down the bit to make sure I
drilled a straight hole and really felt something.

My long hair had wrapped around the drill bit so tight that I actually
pulled a 2 x 3" patch of hair from my scalp!

Hurt like hell for a minute or so while my wife (glad she was there)
helped me reverse the bit, get off the ladder and extricate my head
from my electric drill.

Thought it was worth posting my wife's advice - "pull your hair back
and wrap it in a pony tail."

Ouch!

I worked at a log house factory back in the 70"s
and saw a guy get about half his hair yanked out
on a large pantograph router, busted his head
up badly when it smacked the side of the machine.
He was lucky all he lost was hair.

I have long hair and keep it tied in a pony tail
most all the time, especially when working.