David Combs

Default wash hair in kitchen sink: disposall does chop up hair, yes?

Just checking:

If a woman, say, washes her hair in the kitchen sink,
I'd assume that whatever hair (falls out and) goes down the drain
*does* get chopped-up by the disposall.

(and thus have less chance of fouling the exit pipe, etc.)

But I ask just in case I'm totally wrong, that, say, hair
is so thin that it just slips past the blades, whole, and
clogs pipes just as it would in a shower that had no special
hair-catching thing over the drain.

Thanks,

David

RBM

I suggest you email the manufacturer. There are no blades in a disposal,
only metal tabs that slam the food against the rough surface of the device,
causing the food to be broken down . Hair is soft and pliable, so it may not
have any effect on it
"David Combs" wrote in message
Just checking:

If a woman, say, washes her hair in the kitchen sink,
I'd assume that whatever hair (falls out and) goes down the drain
*does* get chopped-up by the disposall.

(and thus have less chance of fouling the exit pipe, etc.)

But I ask just in case I'm totally wrong, that, say, hair
is so thin that it just slips past the blades, whole, and
clogs pipes just as it would in a shower that had no special
hair-catching thing over the drain.

Thanks,

David

indago

041127 2232 - RBM posted:

I suggest you email the manufacturer. There are no blades in a disposal,
only metal tabs that slam the food against the rough surface of the device,
causing the food to be broken down . Hair is soft and pliable, so it may not
have any effect on it
"David Combs" wrote in message
Just checking:

If a woman, say, washes her hair in the kitchen sink,
I'd assume that whatever hair (falls out and) goes down the drain
*does* get chopped-up by the disposall.

(and thus have less chance of fouling the exit pipe, etc.)

But I ask just in case I'm totally wrong, that, say, hair
is so thin that it just slips past the blades, whole, and
clogs pipes just as it would in a shower that had no special
hair-catching thing over the drain.

Hair will also probably wind itself around the exposed part of the disposal
blade and eventually stop the tabs from working. It would be best to use a
strainer in the sink to catch as much of the hair as possible and then clean
it out of the strainer after washing.

mwlogs

A lot of people think a disposal 'purée' the food that goes down the drain.
In fact, most do little more than what might be done by putting the same
food in a blender for about 10 seconds. Unlike a blender that will continue
working on the same food for as long as you let it run, food down the
disposal washes on down the drain as soon as it will slip past the grinding
blades. It is rarely any finer than perhaps cole slaw.

Human hair will act about the same as the 'hair' in a banana peal or
celery - it will wind around whatever parts it can and eventually clog.

Best advice, use a strainer and catch the hair before it gets down the drain
at all. Good advice for a kitchen sink, or the bathtub.

"David Combs" wrote in message
Just checking:

If a woman, say, washes her hair in the kitchen sink,
I'd assume that whatever hair (falls out and) goes down the drain
*does* get chopped-up by the disposall.

(and thus have less chance of fouling the exit pipe, etc.)

But I ask just in case I'm totally wrong, that, say, hair
is so thin that it just slips past the blades, whole, and
clogs pipes just as it would in a shower that had no special
hair-catching thing over the drain.

Thanks,

David

Joe Bobst

If a woman, say, washes her hair in the kitchen sink,

Bad idea. If she sheds a lot, send her down to the local beauty parlor. It will
likely be cheaper than having your plumber visit every few weeks. G

Joe

I-zheet M'drurz

David Combs wrote:

Just checking:

If a woman, say, washes her hair in the kitchen sink,
I'd assume that whatever hair (falls out and) goes down the drain
*does* get chopped-up by the disposall.

(and thus have less chance of fouling the exit pipe, etc.)

But I ask just in case I'm totally wrong, that, say, hair
is so thin that it just slips past the blades, whole, and
clogs pipes just as it would in a shower that had no special
hair-catching thing over the drain.

Just in case you need to hear it again: Don't do that! g

Disposals don't handle long skinny stuff well. Do you ever
frequent bars? If so, you probably know what a "Sip-stix" is.
The (dead serious) advice in their restaurant kitchen is that
the disposal can and will digest a small animal if given the
chance, but will choke on a few dozen of those little red
plastic buggers. The waitresses toss 'em when they empty
the drink glasses, our dishwashers fish them out of the mix
before it hits the drain. The owner just hates wearing that
plumber's hat.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
willshak

On 11/28/2004 12:08 PM US(ET), Dugie took fingers to keys, and typed the =

following:

From the replies, it seems the safest place for "a woman, say" to wash h=

er hair would be the shower or tub. :-)
=20

Which also requires that the drain cover grill be removed and the long,=20
smelly, slimy, wet rat looking thing, has to be pulled out on occasion. :=
-)
Have them wash their hair in the dog washing tub out on the deck. :-)

- Dugie

"mwlogs" wrote in message news:jndqd.4923=

=20

A lot of people think a disposal 'pur=E9e' the food that goes down the =

[...]

indago

041128 1208 - Dugie posted:

From the replies, it seems the safest place for "a woman, say" to wash her
hair would be the shower or tub. :-)

Yes, that is a good place to wash hair. My shower drain has a cross piece
about 1/2" down from the surface that catches a lot of hair. About every
couple of months I use a long nose pliers and pull the hair out of the drain
cross piece. I imagine some of the hair goes down the drain, but generally
this cross piece gets a lot of it. If I don't clean it out, it will just
plug up and the water will just barely drain out.

Julie

"indago" wrote
041128 1208 - Dugie posted:

From the replies, it seems the safest place for "a woman, say"
to wash her hair would be the shower or tub. :-)

Yes, that is a good place to wash hair. My shower drain has a
cross piece about 1/2" down from the surface that catches a lot of
hair. About every couple of months I use a long nose pliers and
pull the hair out of the drain cross piece.

Word to the wise: if "a woman, say" uses a comb while washing "her"
hair in the shower, most of the hair that would go down the drain, ends
up on the comb, and can be thrown away. Works best with conditioner.

Keeps you from having to pull that ... stuff ... up from the drain.

JSH, woman

Dugie

"Julie" wrote in message ...
"indago" wrote
041128 1208 - Dugie posted:

From the replies, it seems the safest place for "a woman, say"
to wash her hair would be the shower or tub. :-)

Yes, that is a good place to wash hair. My shower drain has a

snip
Word to the wise: if "a woman, say" uses a comb while washing "her"
hair in the shower, most of the hair that would go down the drain, ends
up on the comb, and can be thrown away. Works best with conditioner.

Keeps you from having to pull that ... stuff ... up from the drain.

JSH, woman

At last, a woman's wise input, and a smart woman, too. I don't know of anyone who uses a comb while in the shower,
haven't heard of it.

Julie, I'm going to try using a comb when washing "my" hair. Cause we have that ... stuff .... in the drain too.
Thank you for the idea. I may use "conditioner" as well. :-)

- Dugie

David Combs

Not the answers I expected -- thought surely the hair
would be chopped up.

Sure sure glad I asked the question!!!!

Thanks so much!

David