Posted to rec.woodworking

Default True Confessions: Saftey gear

What eye safety do you use?
What lung safety do you use?

I think it is really a bigger question. I hate to admit it but I have
just never fully solved this issue. I always wear hearing protection,
usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I have
just used crappy cloth dusk masks from HF or HD. I always fog up my
eye protection so it is always the first to go. Unless I have my face
in router spew, I usually just have lung and eye protection.

I probably need an actual respirator that seals better and won't fog
my safety specs. Just looking for your input.
Posted to rec.woodworking

usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I have

Ware? How the heck did I get that spelling?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I
have

Ware? How the heck did I get that spelling?

Because you live and breathe an awareness of safety issues?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
What eye safety do you use?
What lung safety do you use?

I think it is really a bigger question. I hate to admit it but I have
just never fully solved this issue. I always wear hearing protection,
usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I have
just used crappy cloth dusk masks from HF or HD. I always fog up my
eye protection so it is always the first to go. Unless I have my face
in router spew, I usually just have lung and eye protection.

I probably need an actual respirator that seals better and won't fog
my safety specs. Just looking for your input.

Lungs - the crappy paper masks and heavy duty vacuum dust control

Hearing - standard muffs

Eyes - full face shield - had a turned bowl blow up in process and a piece
clipped the shield instead of my head!
the face shield does not seem to fog as quickly as glasses with side
protection do.

That said, this is strictly hobby for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

With very little exception I wear (where?) a Trend and hearing
protection at all times. When I am using my drill press with a vacuum
hose at the source I sometimes forego the Trend but a face shield is
in its place. I have about 5 face shields and hearing protectors each
in my shop and these are presented to any guests that might show up.
I also offer them the Moldex 2200N95 dust mask (it's like an underwire
bra for your face). My wife has a Trend too which she wears when she
helps out.
I use Festool sanders with their vacuum so I sometimes forego the
Trend again with this step but I prefer using it to eliminate that
dust which does get away from the vac.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
What eye safety do you use?
What lung safety do you use?

I think it is really a bigger question. I hate to admit it but I have
just never fully solved this issue. I always wear hearing protection,
usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I have
just used crappy cloth dusk masks from HF or HD. I always fog up my
eye protection so it is always the first to go. Unless I have my face
in router spew, I usually just have lung and eye protection.

I probably need an actual respirator that seals better and won't fog
my safety specs. Just looking for your input.

Since I used to do a fair amount of metal work, I always went with a hard
hat with everything. So the eye, ear and lung protection had to go with a
hard hat. I went down to an industrial safety supply house and got a matched
set.

And yes, the face shield does for up. But I just keep wiping it off. I
can't tell you how many times that hard hat - face shield combo saved my
ass. Or more specifically certain portions of my face and head.

For things that are safer, that do not require a face shield, I just go with
ear muffs and a respirator of some kind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
What eye safety do you use?
What lung safety do you use?

I think it is really a bigger question. I hate to admit it but I
have
just never fully solved this issue. I always wear hearing
protection,
usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I
have
just used crappy cloth dusk masks from HF or HD. I always fog up my
eye protection so it is always the first to go. Unless I have my
face
in router spew, I usually just have lung and eye protection.

I probably need an actual respirator that seals better and won't fog
my safety specs. Just looking for your input.

Sometime ago I saw a chart, perhaps in Popular Science or Mechanics,
which gave the dB output
of common power tools and appliances. The most startling recollection
was how many machines
advised the user to wear both ear plugs and ear muffs in conjunction
for maximum protection. Considering
how permanent damage done to the ears is, this seemed an adoptable
precaution.

Everybody complains how quickly face shields tend toward the opaque
with any use. Better that than
the eyes. There is a face shield for acids made which gives the wearer
the appearance of a lucite flying
nun going backwards. But for ricochets and the unanticipated, it
soars.

When a unanimous declaration names goggles that won't fog, the line
will lengthen by me. On some occasions
I use goggles that take a replaceable screen insert (intended for
loggers) over a pair of safety glasses.
The screens permit air flow; the glasses stay clear and sustain few
scratches.

Paper filter masks always imperfectly bring to mind Dumbo's feather.
What they protect is a foolhardy notion
of false economy. An MSA twin cartridge safety mask is super but
facial hair doesn't benefit any seal. People
who don't use them always open up with "Isn't that hot?" or "What
about all that uncomfortable weight on
your face?" Along that line of reasoning, shoes wouldn't appear
attractive. But with 10 minutes of actually
doing something wearing a mask, the novelty--and any discomfort
initially felt--is a forgotten memory. By the
way, there is a selection of cartridges for different airborne
compounds available from MSA to fit your circumstances.

Another caveat from experience has to do with solvents soaked into
your clothing. After seeing someone having
a flood of gas drenching his unmentionables, you don't want to hear
the results of not changing yourself pronto
if that happens to you.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

We were demonstrated to, in a workplace safety meeting, the use of the
better quality paper particulate filters. Ones with the heavy duty double
elastics and proper nose pinch metal with various gaskets out the
perimeters.

Nobody could make them work, period! They leak like crazy around the edges.
It was quite amusing to see the wearer, approached with the smouldering test
stick, and watch the response as the wearer jumped back gagging and coughing
as soon as the tester even got close.

The only ones that were effective were two types with the double filters on
the sides. People with moustaches had a hard time getting a seal, at any
rate. Some had claustrophobia attacks when wearing them...LOL

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
What eye safety do you use?
What lung safety do you use?

I think it is really a bigger question. I hate to admit it but I have
just never fully solved this issue. I always wear hearing protection,
usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I have
just used crappy cloth dusk masks from HF or HD. I always fog up my
eye protection so it is always the first to go. Unless I have my face
in router spew, I usually just have lung and eye protection.

I probably need an actual respirator that seals better and won't fog
my safety specs. Just looking for your input.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Reminds me of a story my brother told.

He was cutting up jalepeños for pickling and went for a ****.
Now everybody would wash their hands after going for a leak but, before???

He rturns to the cutting board to continue food prep, then runs to the
bathroom in flames.

Hot stuff like that doesn't really wash off once soaked into the skin...
pretty exiting for the first 10-15 minutes...OUCH....LOL

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
m...
Another caveat from experience has to do with solvents soaked into
your clothing. After seeing someone having
a flood of gas drenching his unmentionables, you don't want to hear
the results of not changing yourself pronto
if that happens to you.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:09:53 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

What eye safety do you use?
What lung safety do you use?

When in the shop, I wear safety glasses with bifocals. Always. I
even wear them when mowing or edging the lawn, pruning, or doing
anything with tools.

For lungs, I wear a half-face respirator with HEPA filters if I'm
doing anything that rasies a lot of dust or fine wood cuttings. I
learned my lesson working padauk, and the WORST dust I've ever
experienced: imbua.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/14/2010 8:58 PM, Josepi wrote:
Reminds me of a story my brother told.

He was cutting up jalepeños for pickling and went for a ****.
Now everybody would wash their hands after going for a leak but, before???

He rturns to the cutting board to continue food prep, then runs to the
bathroom in flames.

Hot stuff like that doesn't really wash off once soaked into the skin...
pretty exiting for the first 10-15 minutes...OUCH....LOL

"Edward wrote in message
m...
Another caveat from experience has to do with solvents soaked into
your clothing. After seeing someone having
a flood of gas drenching his unmentionables, you don't want to hear
the results of not changing yourself pronto
if that happens to you.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Obviously you have never worked in a chemical laboratory. It is more
important to wash going in that coming out. The chemicals will kill
what ever is on your skin, but will corrode any skin that they may be
inadvertently left on for a long period of time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Then there was that time with the Crazy Glue.....

I don't like to talk about it anymore but,

the rest of the town does....LOL

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
Obviously you have never worked in a chemical laboratory. It is more
important to wash going in that coming out. The chemicals will kill
what ever is on your skin, but will corrode any skin that they may be
inadvertently left on for a long period of time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
On 6/14/2010 8:58 PM, Josepi wrote:
Reminds me of a story my brother told.

He was cutting up jalepeños for pickling and went for a ****.
Now everybody would wash their hands after going for a leak but,
before???

He rturns to the cutting board to continue food prep, then runs to
the
bathroom in flames.

Hot stuff like that doesn't really wash off once soaked into the
skin...
pretty exiting for the first 10-15 minutes...OUCH....LOL

"Edward wrote in message
m...
Another caveat from experience has to do with solvents soaked into
your clothing. After seeing someone having
a flood of gas drenching his unmentionables, you don't want to hear
the results of not changing yourself pronto
if that happens to you.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Obviously you have never worked in a chemical laboratory. It is
more important to wash going in that coming out. The chemicals will
kill what ever is on your skin, but will corrode any skin that they
may be inadvertently left on for a long period of time.

Ken:

I deliberately didn't put "my" in the relevant sentence written above;
sorry for any misleading.
The particular experience recollected was the most profitable of all
kinds:
indirect and another's.

And if we turn your second sentence (as you obviously meant) into
"It's more important
to wash coming out than going in", we are two heads of one mind.
Don't let some suspect it "it" get on you and you don't have to worry
what it
might do to you. How many compounds that are sold as safe today will
be banned
forever in some regrettable tomorrow? More than one.

Surprisingly, we both neglected to mention glove usage with energetic
chemicals and the makeshift but excellent idea of a fan to disperse
any troublesome
vapors when that doesn't complicate things like finishing.

A glove box is a great utility for grinding, blasting and
disassembling machines
just dying to spin off small parts or launch springs into the parallel
9th dimension.
Also, they come in handy for chemical treatment of things that might
not be
attractive doing for the operator in a yard covered with 5' of deep
sky flake.

Speaking as Josepi did of plants, Euphorbias are a rich group of
African succulents
that have members with a juice so toxic it is used for fishing over
thataway. If anyone
saw the great movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" there was a vivid scene
where
the good guys shot up some Euphorbia trees over the enemy who
surrounded them,
giving them a dripping sap bath which caused them to dance on down the
road.
Anybody who took in the film would remember that, the Bushman with the
great face and
his click language.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
On 6/14/2010 8:58 PM, Josepi wrote:
Reminds me of a story my brother told.

He was cutting up jalepeños for pickling and went for a ****.
Now everybody would wash their hands after going for a leak but,
before???

He rturns to the cutting board to continue food prep, then runs to
the
bathroom in flames.

Hot stuff like that doesn't really wash off once soaked into the
skin...
pretty exiting for the first 10-15 minutes...OUCH....LOL

"Edward wrote in message
m...
Another caveat from experience has to do with solvents soaked into
your clothing. After seeing someone having
a flood of gas drenching his unmentionables, you don't want to
hear
the results of not changing yourself pronto
if that happens to you.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Obviously you have never worked in a chemical laboratory. It is
more important to wash going in that coming out. The chemicals
will kill what ever is on your skin, but will corrode any skin that
they may be inadvertently left on for a long period of time.

Ken:

Keith!!!:

Soon as I sent the preceeding post--after talking with one Ken--I
realized I pulled
a dunderhead transfer and gave you a new alias. Please have my open
apologies for the slip.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message
We were demonstrated to, in a workplace safety meeting, the use of the
better quality paper particulate filters. Ones with the heavy duty double
elastics and proper nose pinch metal with various gaskets out the
perimeters.

Nobody could make them work, period! They leak like crazy around the
edges.
It was quite amusing to see the wearer, approached with the smouldering
test
stick, and watch the response as the wearer jumped back gagging and
coughing
as soon as the tester even got close.

The only ones that were effective were two types with the double filters
on
the sides. People with moustaches had a hard time getting a seal, at any
rate. Some had claustrophobia attacks when wearing them...LOL

I was taught basic lung safety in basic training. Tear gas and smoke. With
masks and without for at least a minute. Then there were the colored smoke
grenades dropped down the concrete pipe - blew blue, yellow and red snot for
days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 14, 7:58*pm, "Josepi" wrote:
Reminds me of a story my brother told.

He was cutting up jalepeños for pickling and went for a ****.
Now everybody would wash their hands after going for a leak but, before???

He rturns to the cutting board to continue food prep, then runs to the
bathroom in flames.

Reminds me of college. One of our shop's "grommet burns" (everyone
gets together for much Mexican food and even more beer), the new kid
runs off to the bathroom. One of the wives yells out, "wash your
hands FIRST". "Huh?" Everyone splits a side...

Hot stuff like that doesn't really wash off once soaked into the skin...
pretty exiting for the first 10-15 minutes...OUCH....LOL

Sure it does. Use what you'd use if you ate something that was too
"hot". Water and beer just move the pain around. Bread and milk will
quench the pain. May look funny but it'll work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 14, 9:02*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Josepi" X-Complaints-to: wrote:

Reminds me of a story my brother told.

He was cutting up jalepeños for pickling and went for a ****.
Now everybody would wash their hands after going for a leak but, before???

Friend of mine learned that lesson a few years ago. He'd been doing yard work.
Didn't know he'd been handling poison ivy.

My son was cleaning up the yard to make some money and got into some
poison ivy. He wasn't too bad, but just picking his clothes off the
floor and moving them 3' to the washing machine was enough to give
SWMBO a *severe* case. It was everywhere, even where women *really**
don't want it. I'm not allergic to it, but don't tempt fate either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

After woodworking or working with any dusty materials, now, I typically will
flush my sinuses with saline solution after. Lots of black snot and the
sinus infections don't typically happen a week later.

This can be done with a cheap purchased spray injector, homemade saline
solution refill, or sucking saline solution (the best method) up through
your nose like a straw from a small glass and spitting it out in the sink.

If the water is warm and a bit salty it is completely neutral and hardly
felt. Before the weak stomached ones get all horny this is exactly what your
tears are made of when they drain into your nasal passages...LOL

http://www.google.ca/search?q=neti+p...ed=0CDgQqwQwAw

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
I was taught basic lung safety in basic training. Tear gas and smoke. With
masks and without for at least a minute. Then there were the colored smoke
grenades dropped down the concrete pipe - blew blue, yellow and red snot for
days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I've worked around industrial planers and moulders for about 25 years,
when I worked in close proximity to the machines I would wear plugs
and muffs, both good quality, certain ranges of my hearing are gone.

I don't really know how loud these planers are but I have seen them peg a
140db meter, at some level hearing protection fails as the sound travel
through the rest of your body.

basilsik

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 15, 8:43*am, "basilisk" wrote:
[...]

None of them better 35dB. If your planers were really 140dBA at the
operators ears, ear muffs can't work (105dB exceeds OSHA limits).
BTW, we've measured 120dBA on a football field. The plastic horns in
the World Cup raise that to 127dBA, from the reports.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/14/2010 10:15 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 6/14/2010 8:58 PM, Josepi wrote:
Reminds me of a story my brother told.

He was cutting up jalepeños for pickling and went for a ****.
Now everybody would wash their hands after going for a leak but,
before???

He rturns to the cutting board to continue food prep, then runs to the
bathroom in flames.

Hot stuff like that doesn't really wash off once soaked into the skin...
pretty exiting for the first 10-15 minutes...OUCH....LOL

"Edward wrote in message
m...
Another caveat from experience has to do with solvents soaked into
your clothing. After seeing someone having
a flood of gas drenching his unmentionables, you don't want to hear
the results of not changing yourself pronto
if that happens to you.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Obviously you have never worked in a chemical laboratory. It is more
important to wash going in that coming out. The chemicals will kill what
ever is on your skin, but will corrode any skin that they may be
inadvertently left on for a long period of time.

Old joke--the difference between a chemist and a physicist is that a
chemist washes his hands _before_ he goes to the bathroom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default True Confessions: Safety gear

I always wear earmuffs with my cheap sliding chop saw. They hang on the
blade cover so I have to do something with them. The ring of the blade is so
bad it actually hurts my ears.

I already have tinnitus quite bad and you don't want to share that one.
People think it is a joke until they lay awake at nights wondering if they
will go crazy. Sometimes I can hear it over movies rocking the house on the
600 watt Dolby surround sound 12" speakers and bass boom box shaking the
floor.

I blame most of this on small staple guns and the odd framing nailer shot
(you know the ones that just dribble out of the end?...LOL). Every so often
you get your head and ears between two joists and the shot deafens you.

Protect your ears from long or loud exposures! Unexpected ones are hard to
protect against.

wrote in message
None of them better 35dB. If your planers were really 140dBA at the
operators ears, ear muffs can't work (105dB exceeds OSHA limits).
BTW, we've measured 120dBA on a football field. The plastic horns in
the World Cup raise that to 127dBA, from the reports.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

Most mills put the planers in a concrete containment building that lowers
noise level to an acceptable level in the main building but makes the
levels that much higher in the containment. The operator doesn't
spend much time in the containment when the planer is running
full tilt.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

Many of our construction workers that are hearing conscious wear ear plugs
(30dB rated) along with the ear muffs for really noisy equipment.

The 60-70dB combo should get you in a better noise level for short term
exposures.

It's really about the time-weighted noise curves. You can handle high
volumes for short term exposures without recognizable cochlear damage.

"basilisk" wrote in message
None of them better 35dB. If your planers were really 140dBA at the
operators ears, ear muffs can't work (105dB exceeds OSHA limits).
BTW, we've measured 120dBA on a football field. The plastic horns in
the World Cup raise that to 127dBA, from the reports.

Most mills put the planers in a concrete containment building that lowers
noise level to an acceptable level in the main building but makes the
levels that much higher in the containment. The operator doesn't
spend much time in the containment when the planer is running
full tilt.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:09:53 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

What eye safety do you use?
What lung safety do you use?

I think it is really a bigger question. I hate to admit it but I have
just never fully solved this issue. I always wear hearing protection,
usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I have
just used crappy cloth dusk masks from HF or HD. I always fog up my eye
protection so it is always the first to go. Unless I have my face in
router spew, I usually just have lung and eye protection.

I wear safety goggles and earmuffs as the situation requires. For dust
control I use a DustBeeGone mask I bought about 20 years ago. For
noxious fumes I have what I call a gas mask :-).

And I hate wearing all of them except the earmuffs :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message
news
Reminds me of a story my brother told.

He was cutting up jalepeños for pickling and went for a ****.
Now everybody would wash their hands after going for a leak but, before???

He rturns to the cutting board to continue food prep, then runs to the
bathroom in flames.

Hot stuff like that doesn't really wash off once soaked into the skin...
pretty exiting for the first 10-15 minutes...OUCH....LOL

I can honestly say that I have eaten and handled my fair share of jalapeño
peppers. They were hot to eat and don't get the juice in your eyes but I
have never witnessed burning skin ....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
What eye safety do you use?
What lung safety do you use?

I think it is really a bigger question. I hate to admit it but I have
just never fully solved this issue. I always wear hearing protection,
usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I have
just used crappy cloth dusk masks from HF or HD. I always fog up my
eye protection so it is always the first to go. Unless I have my face
in router spew, I usually just have lung and eye protection.

I probably need an actual respirator that seals better and won't fog
my safety specs. Just looking for your input.

I use noise canceling head phones for the router and planer, most every
thing else is relatively quiet.

I use a dust collector for the coarse stuff and the Festool vac with HEPA
filter for the fine stuff when sanding, cutting Domino mortises and probably
the TS75 track saw.

I use prescription polycarbonate lens in my daily glasses.

I now more often use my eyes and head to protect my digits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message
[...]

I can assure you the 600 watt Dolby surround sound 12" speakers and bass
boom box shaking the
floor is not helping your situation

Posted to rec.woodworking

but I
have never witnessed *burning skin ....

how about foreskin?

Posted to rec.woodworking

How about just one skin?

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
how about foreskin?

but I
have never witnessed burning skin ....

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's called "habituation" and it does help, according to some medical
authorities.
It can also help hyperacusis.

"Josepi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message
news
Reminds me of a story my brother told.

He was cutting up jalepeños for pickling and went for a ****.
Now everybody would wash their hands after going for a leak but,
before???

He rturns to the cutting board to continue food prep, then runs to
the
bathroom in flames.

Hot stuff like that doesn't really wash off once soaked into the
skin...
pretty exiting for the first 10-15 minutes...OUCH....LOL

J:

If you mosey on over to www.chilipepperinstitute.org ,
you can get some seeds or sauce made from the Jolokia chili pepper.
A hot Habanero is about 30,000 Scoville Heat Units. The Jolokia
rates over one million SHU. Bottled purgatory.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

in 531239 20100616 042236 "Josepi" wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...
I can assure you the 600 watt Dolby surround sound 12" speakers and bass
boom box shaking the
floor is not helping your situation

It's called "habituation" and it does help, according to some medical
authorities.
It can also help hyperacusis.

Tell your neighbours that! ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

They can't see the screen. It is assumed to be more earth packing going on
in the neighbourhood and we give the "I wonder?" look, like the rest of the
hood...LOL

I have a four pitch train whistle that goes at nights sometimes, also and we
have no tracks within 40km (US = 30 miles)

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
Tell your neighbours that! ;-)

in 531239 20100616 042236 "Josepi" wrote:
It's called "habituation" and it does help, according to some medical
authorities.
It can also help hyperacusis.

Confessions of a paranoid woodworker tom Woodworking 15 April 20th 08 08:17 PM
Machine saftey azotic Metalworking 37 November 29th 07 06:58 PM
Where can I buy saftey push blocks? [email protected] Woodworking 22 January 24th 06 12:15 PM
Gas Bottle Saftey Pictures Needed Dean Metalworking 21 February 1st 05 02:44 PM
Confessions of a tool junkie M Wingett Woodworking 3 July 22nd 04 11:36 PM