Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default True Confessions: Saftey gear

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
m...

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
What eye safety do you use?
What lung safety do you use?

I think it is really a bigger question. I hate to admit it but I have
just never fully solved this issue. I always wear hearing protection,
usually ear muffs. I mostly ware lung protection but for years I have
just used crappy cloth dusk masks from HF or HD. I always fog up my
eye protection so it is always the first to go. Unless I have my face
in router spew, I usually just have lung and eye protection.

I probably need an actual respirator that seals better and won't fog
my safety specs. Just looking for your input.

Sometime ago I saw a chart, perhaps in Popular Science or Mechanics, which
gave the dB output
of common power tools and appliances. The most startling recollection was
how many machines
advised the user to wear both ear plugs and ear muffs in conjunction for
maximum protection. Considering
how permanent damage done to the ears is, this seemed an adoptable
precaution.

I've worked around industrial planers and moulders for about 25 years,
when I worked in close proximity to the machines I would wear plugs
and muffs, both good quality, certain ranges of my hearing are gone.

I don't really know how loud these planers are but I have seen them peg a
140db meter, at some level hearing protection fails as the sound travel
through the rest of your body.

basilsik