Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default True Confessions: Saftey gear

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
On 6/14/2010 8:58 PM, Josepi wrote:
Reminds me of a story my brother told.

He was cutting up jalepeņos for pickling and went for a ****.
Now everybody would wash their hands after going for a leak but,
before???

He rturns to the cutting board to continue food prep, then runs to
the
bathroom in flames.

Hot stuff like that doesn't really wash off once soaked into the
skin...
pretty exiting for the first 10-15 minutes...OUCH....LOL

"Edward wrote in message
m...
Another caveat from experience has to do with solvents soaked into
your clothing. After seeing someone having
a flood of gas drenching his unmentionables, you don't want to hear
the results of not changing yourself pronto
if that happens to you.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Obviously you have never worked in a chemical laboratory. It is
more important to wash going in that coming out. The chemicals will
kill what ever is on your skin, but will corrode any skin that they
may be inadvertently left on for a long period of time.

Ken:

I deliberately didn't put "my" in the relevant sentence written above;
sorry for any misleading.
The particular experience recollected was the most profitable of all
kinds:
indirect and another's.

And if we turn your second sentence (as you obviously meant) into
"It's more important
to wash coming out than going in", we are two heads of one mind.
Don't let some suspect it "it" get on you and you don't have to worry
what it
might do to you. How many compounds that are sold as safe today will
be banned
forever in some regrettable tomorrow? More than one.

Surprisingly, we both neglected to mention glove usage with energetic
chemicals and the makeshift but excellent idea of a fan to disperse
any troublesome
vapors when that doesn't complicate things like finishing.

A glove box is a great utility for grinding, blasting and
disassembling machines
just dying to spin off small parts or launch springs into the parallel
9th dimension.
Also, they come in handy for chemical treatment of things that might
not be
attractive doing for the operator in a yard covered with 5' of deep
sky flake.

Speaking as Josepi did of plants, Euphorbias are a rich group of
African succulents
that have members with a juice so toxic it is used for fishing over
thataway. If anyone
saw the great movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" there was a vivid scene
where
the good guys shot up some Euphorbia trees over the enemy who
surrounded them,
giving them a dripping sap bath which caused them to dance on down the
road.
Anybody who took in the film would remember that, the Bushman with the
great face and
his click language.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey