Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_5_] Josepi[_5_] is offline

Default True Confessions: Saftey gear

Many of our construction workers that are hearing conscious wear ear plugs
(30dB rated) along with the ear muffs for really noisy equipment.

The 60-70dB combo should get you in a better noise level for short term
exposures.

It's really about the time-weighted noise curves. You can handle high
volumes for short term exposures without recognizable cochlear damage.

"basilisk" wrote in message
None of them better 35dB. If your planers were really 140dBA at the
operators ears, ear muffs can't work (105dB exceeds OSHA limits).
BTW, we've measured 120dBA on a football field. The plastic horns in
the World Cup raise that to 127dBA, from the reports.

Most mills put the planers in a concrete containment building that lowers
noise level to an acceptable level in the main building but makes the
levels that much higher in the containment. The operator doesn't
spend much time in the containment when the planer is running
full tilt.

basilisk