Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles and
metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all the
wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the place)
so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too hefty and
vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. Grateful for any suggestions on
the best type of circular disc to go for. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:00:53 +0100, "john hamilton"
wrote:

Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles and
metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all the
wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

No. A grinder will more likely start the wood on fire than cut it. There is
good reason you don't find wood "blades" for an angle grinder. It's
absolutely the wrong tool for the job.

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the place)
so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too hefty and
vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. Grateful for any suggestions on
the best type of circular disc to go for. Thanks.

A circular saw will work fine. Be careful with nails, though. A circular saw
will cut them (as long as you don't care about the blade) but it might throw
them too. Wear *lots* of protection. A "Sawsall" (reciprocating saw) is a
better tool for the job, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Diamond blade plus angle grinder on a treet stump killed someone
recently (kickback into neck). Suicidal.

You can use a cheap jigsaw with wood ripping blade if you cut them
over a table. Very quick unless stuff is 2in thick.
You can use a reciprocating saw - like a normal handsaw but two blades
driven like hedge trimmer blades, but they cost somewhat more (better
for chopping thro old studwork).

I would not suggest even a handheld circular because of the risk - you
are working "sloppy-fast" which could result in kickback or accidents.
The jigsaw would probably be best for thin cladding (shiplap etc), a
lot quicker than you realise.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles and
metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all the
wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the place)
so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too hefty and
vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. Grateful for any suggestions on
the best type of circular disc to go for. Thanks.

The best "circular disc" is the one on your "circular saw". It was
mentioned about using the right tool for the job.

Got a sharp axe, matches maybe?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

john hamilton wrote:
Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles and
metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all the
wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the place)
so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too hefty and
vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. Grateful for any suggestions on
the best type of circular disc to go for. Thanks.

I see by your message headers you seem to be in the UK. Here in the
states we have something called 'Harbor Freight' that sells low-end
(mainly Chinese) power tools at very low prices. They aren't any good
for fine woodworking, but for something like this they would be more
than adequate. Search online, in your local phone book, or in the
second-tier shopping centers near where you live. Odds are there is
something like that over there. What you need is a reciprocating saw
with a demolition blade. It is one long blade (not two, like the other
post implied), that goes back and forth like a handsaw. It would make
short work of your pile of salvage lumber. You are trying to salvage it,
right? If this is just for burning, a plain axe will do what you need,
or even a plain handsaw.

The reciprocating saw likely would have made the demolition process a
lot less painful, as well. I only use mine once a year or so, but for
certain jobs, it is a lifesaver.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On May 15, 4:00*pm, "john hamilton" wrote:
Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles and
metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all the
wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? *I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the place)
so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too hefty and
vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. * Grateful for any suggestions on
the best type of circular disc to go for. * Thanks.

A wood cutting plade for an angle grinder is available. I is a disk
with chainsaw teeth on it. Think it is used for carving. Definitly not
what you want.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2010 13:22:33 -0700 (PDT), js.b1 wrote:

The jigsaw would probably be best for thin cladding (shiplap etc), a
lot quicker than you realise.

The OP hasn't said what he intends to do with the cut wood. If it's
for a wood burner reasonably uniform size and few splinters is
desirable. Sawing would be the best, I used my table saw (and an old
blade) to cut down the shiplap from our shed refurbishment. That was
for the open fire.

If it's just to make managable for a bonfire, the quickest will be
snapping though over ones knee will probably end up with a bruised
knee fairly quickly. Much better to have a block on the ground a few
inches high and tough pair of boots and use your weight or a stomp to
break it up. I reckon that will be faster than a jigsaw and you still
have the problem of holding the timber.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles and
metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all the
wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

No. A grinder will more likely start the wood on fire than cut it. There is
good reason you don't find wood "blades" for an angle grinder. It's
absolutely the wrong tool for the job.

Tell that to Arbortech and King Arthur Tools. They sell carbide
carving discs and rotary chain saw heads for angle grinders. g

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the place)
so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too hefty and
vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. Grateful for any suggestions on
the best type of circular disc to go for. Thanks.

A circular saw will work fine. Be careful with nails, though. A circular saw
will cut them (as long as you don't care about the blade) but it might throw
them too. Wear *lots* of protection. A "Sawsall" (reciprocating saw) is a
better tool for the job, though.

Yeah, carbide circular saw or demolition-bladed sawzall are the way to
go.

--
Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change.
-- Andre Gide
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles
and metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all the
wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the
place) so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too hefty
and vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. Grateful for any
suggestions on the best type of circular disc to go for. Thanks.

Sounds scary and dangerous. I would not recommend it. But there is a carving
disc for the mini grinder.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...rking-Kit.aspx

The capacity for this thing to grab things and throw them into your body is
probably infinite. The only way I would use anything like this if the
material was locked down into a big, secure vise. I would also wear gloves,
face protection and heavy clothing.

In some ways this is like cutting small limbs with a chain saw. The saw
grabs anything that is not solidly secured and throws it. And a certain
percentage of the time it hits you. And it hurts.

The number one rule of cutting anything small like this is to secure the
stock before cutting it. Any movement of the stock can be dangerous.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On May 15, 10:03*pm, aemeijers wrote:
What you need is a reciprocating saw with a demolition blade.
It is one long blade (not two, like the other post implied),
that goes back and forth like a handsaw.

I think there are 2 types...
- Alligator saw - double blades like a hedge trimmer
- Demolition saw - single blade that just pumps away

Unsure which is cheaper, but more search strings :-)

Alligator saws are more useful for general cutting.
Demolition saws, well they are certainly good at that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

"js.b1" wrote in message
Diamond blade plus angle grinder on a treet stump killed someone
recently (kickback into neck). Suicidal.

You can use a cheap jigsaw with wood ripping blade if you cut them
over a table. Very quick unless stuff is 2in thick.
You can use a reciprocating saw - like a normal handsaw but two blades
driven like hedge trimmer blades, but they cost somewhat more (better
for chopping thro old studwork).

I would not suggest even a handheld circular because of the risk - you
are working "sloppy-fast" which could result in kickback or accidents.
The jigsaw would probably be best for thin cladding (shiplap etc), a
lot quicker than you realise.

I have a very cheap Wilkinson's 'Swallow' jigsaw which came with a good
selection of blades. After making up maybe 20' of fence going up a steep
slope, from old rescued fence boards of all different lengths, I was amazed
at how easy it was to put a nice profile right along the top using one of
the longer coarsish blades. Should be fine for your shed.

I also did almost buy a reciprocating saw in either Aldi of Lidl when they
were going v cheap last year. At the time though, I thought I'd always be
fit enough to use hand saws...

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On 15/05/10 21:00, john hamilton wrote:
Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles and
metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all the
wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the place)
so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too hefty and
vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. Grateful for any suggestions on
the best type of circular disc to go for. Thanks.

I saw some discs in Alsford Timber the other day that were available in
9" and 12" (might have been a 4-odd inch too) that were advertised for
wood, especially tree roots. They had some almighty lumps (1/8-1/4") of
abrasive (maybe carbide) suck on the side. Looked bloody viscous - sadly
I can't remember the name.

A google for angle grinder and tree roots might turn up something... Or
ring Alsfords in Hastings (assuming you're in the UK) and ask them what
those ******* evil discs on the front counter in the display stand are
called...

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Tim Watts wrote in
:

[...]

diamond discs would gum up from resins and overheat quickly.
They are made for ceramics and metals,not wood.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On 15/05/10 23:53, Jim Yanik wrote:
Tim wrote in
:

[...]

It wasn't a diamond disc - very clearly nothing like one to the eye - in
fact I've never seen anything like it before...

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

I've seen 4" blades for angle grinders that incorporate a chainsaw
chain. They're used for coarse shaping for carvings. In fact, I
saw one in use making a totem pole in Alaska and it really worked
well.

I also have seen a 4" disk with extremely coarse carbide crystals
on it, but it was for use in an oscillating saw that just looked
like an angle grinder, and was used more for sanding than for
cutting.

--
Nonny
On most days,

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

aemeijers wrote:

john hamilton wrote:
[...]

What he said. I had to replace my evaporative cooler and got a
reciprocating saw to cut up the old one. I looked at Harbor Freight and
decided that going with a good Milwaukee Sawzall was going to be more cost
effective in the long run. It doesn't cut pretty, but it is quick and
effective at reducing large pieces of junk to small pieces of junk.

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

js.b1 wrote:

Diamond blade plus angle grinder on a treet stump killed someone
recently (kickback into neck). Suicidal.

Bull. Diamond wheel on an angle grinder is the wrong combination, but not
for that reason. Kickback has nothing to do with the wheel on the grinder,
but instead has everything to do with where on contacts the wheel.
Suicidal? Not at all. One stupid move on the part of a user does not make
a tool suicidal.

You can use a cheap jigsaw with wood ripping blade if you cut them
over a table. Very quick unless stuff is 2in thick.
You can use a reciprocating saw - like a normal handsaw but two blades
driven like hedge trimmer blades, but they cost somewhat more (better
for chopping thro old studwork).

A reciprocating saw more typically just has one blade that simply, well...
reciprocates.

I would not suggest even a handheld circular because of the risk - you
are working "sloppy-fast" which could result in kickback or accidents.
The jigsaw would probably be best for thin cladding (shiplap etc), a
lot quicker than you realise.

It's fairly difficult to develop kickback with a circular saw. Not
impossible, but not easy. A circular saw would make a good choice for
materials 1/2" and up. Below that, I'd probably just break the stuff over
my knee...

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

spamlet has brought this to us :
I also did almost buy a reciprocating saw in either Aldi of Lidl when they
were going v cheap last year. At the time though, I thought I'd always be
fit enough to use hand saws...

The reciprocating saw will fit and cut, where you cannot possibly get a
hand saw into. I have found mine to be particularly useful for cutting
tree roots, whilst still buried in the ground.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
js.b1 wrote:

Diamond blade plus angle grinder on a treet stump killed someone
recently (kickback into neck). Suicidal.

Bull. Diamond wheel on an angle grinder is the wrong combination,
but not for that reason. Kickback has nothing to do with the wheel
on the grinder, but instead has everything to do with where on
contacts the wheel. Suicidal? Not at all. One stupid move on the
part of a user does not make a tool suicidal.

More like homicidal then. You wouldn't get me within 10' of one. Madness.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
js.b1 wrote:

Diamond blade plus angle grinder on a treet stump killed someone
recently (kickback into neck). Suicidal.

Bull. Diamond wheel on an angle grinder is the wrong combination,
but not for that reason. Kickback has nothing to do with the wheel
on the grinder, but instead has everything to do with where on
contacts the wheel. Suicidal? Not at all. One stupid move on the
part of a user does not make a tool suicidal.

More like homicidal then. You wouldn't get me within 10' of one.
Madness.

Angle grinders scare me enough when used on the things they're meant for,
with the correct blade. Dunno what I'm doing on this group. ;-)

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

In article , Harry
Bloomfield scribeth thus
spamlet has brought this to us :
I also did almost buy a reciprocating saw in either Aldi of Lidl when they
were going v cheap last year. At the time though, I thought I'd always be
fit enough to use hand saws...

The reciprocating saw will fit and cut, where you cannot possibly get a
hand saw into. I have found mine to be particularly useful for cutting
tree roots, whilst still buried in the ground.

Bet you go thru the blades doing that;!...

Which one have U got?..

73's
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 May 2010 10:09:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
js.b1 wrote:

Diamond blade plus angle grinder on a treet stump killed someone
recently (kickback into neck). Suicidal.

Bull. Diamond wheel on an angle grinder is the wrong combination,
but not for that reason. Kickback has nothing to do with the wheel
on the grinder, but instead has everything to do with where on
contacts the wheel. Suicidal? Not at all. One stupid move on the
part of a user does not make a tool suicidal.

More like homicidal then. You wouldn't get me within 10' of one.
Madness.

Angle grinders scare me enough when used on the things they're meant for,
with the correct blade. Dunno what I'm doing on this group. ;-)

Time you bought that pressure washer. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

tony sayer presented the following explanation :
In article , Harry
Bloomfield scribeth thus
spamlet has brought this to us :
I also did almost buy a reciprocating saw in either Aldi of Lidl when they
were going v cheap last year. At the time though, I thought I'd always be
fit enough to use hand saws...

The reciprocating saw will fit and cut, where you cannot possibly get a
hand saw into. I have found mine to be particularly useful for cutting
tree roots, whilst still buried in the ground.

Bet you go thru the blades doing that;!...

No, none have worn out yet. I've managed to cut 12" trees down with it,
lots of roots and cut 4" alloy bar stock.

Which one have U got?..

The blue black Aldi variable speed one. The spring which closes the
lever for foot adjustment seems to have weakened (may just be choked up
with saw dust), other than that it works well.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Nonny wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

A sawblade has individual teeth is so that the debris from the material
being cut can be thrown clear of the next tooth. If the blade cannot
clear itself, there is just friction but no cutting.
In the old days B&D used to do a 5" circular saw blade as a drill
attachment. Can't imagine what it could have been used for, but at least
it wasn't spinning at 10,000 rpm
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

In article ,
stuart noble writes:
A sawblade has individual teeth is so that the debris from the material
being cut can be thrown clear of the next tooth. If the blade cannot
clear itself, there is just friction but no cutting.
In the old days B&D used to do a 5" circular saw blade as a drill
attachment. Can't imagine what it could have been used for, but at least
it wasn't spinning at 10,000 rpm

I have one of these on the shelf in the garage, but the drill gave up
(the day I just bought several new blades for it, of course).
It worked well for 10+ years, before dedicated circular saws were
available at affordable prices. B&D had a load of drill attachments
of that form. My father also had the circular saw one, but also the
jigsaw and the hedgecutter attachments (and probably some I've
forgotten).

However, this brings up an important point... An angle grinder spins
much faster than the safe operating speed for a circular saw blade,
so don't even think about going there.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On May 16, 4:26*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
Diamond blade plus angle grinder on a treet stump killed someone
recently (kickback into neck). Suicidal.

Bull. *Diamond wheel on an angle grinder is the wrong combination, but not
for that reason. *Kickback has nothing to do with the wheel on the grinder,

****wit.

A diamond disc will not cut wood due to the mimimal depth of the
cutting surfaces, it will instead burn through whilst spinning at
circa 10,000 RPM.

A diamond disc with sintered tabs, several long teeth interspersed by
gaps, will snag on the wood fibres - flinging unsecured wood at some
function of the 80m/sec disc speed, kicking back off sufficiently
immovable wood or shredding wood into a fibrous pulp rather than
efficiently cutting. With sintered tab on wood there is some risk of
ejecting a tab or a limited risk of catastrophic disc fracturing from
a tab gap (most discs have the tab slot ending at a circular hole to
reduce crack propogation across the disc causing separation which at
circa 10,000rpm would be unpleasant).

A diamond disc that is continuous (does not have a tabbed perimeter)
will just bounce off the surface or burn through.

This is exactly how someone killed themselves with a diamond disc in
an angle grinder, it kicked back off a tree stump and embedded itself
in their neck severing an artery. Most likely a tabbed diamond disc
where the slots snagged on a particularly resilient group of wood
fibres so launching the grinder up into the victim's neck.

Any blade for wood cutting at angle-grinder RPM will need to have a
very robust disc construction, very robust teeth to resist the peak
shear forces along with an appropriate tip cutting angle, and large
inter teeth gap to handle the extremely high material ejection levels
at such high RPM. That is to say teeth gaps of several millimetres
compared to the sub-milimetre gap for diamond cutting brick particle
ejection.

A reciprocating saw more typically just has one blade that simply, well....
reciprocates.

Alligator saw has double blades, demolition saw has single blade. An
alligator saw is a lot more useful to a DIYer.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

js.b1 wrote:

On May 16, 4:26 am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
Diamond blade plus angle grinder on a treet stump killed someone
recently (kickback into neck). Suicidal.

Bull. Diamond wheel on an angle grinder is the wrong combination,
but not for that reason. Kickback has nothing to do with the wheel
on the grinder,

****wit.

Potty mouth.

A diamond disc will not cut wood due to the mimimal depth of the
cutting surfaces, it will instead burn through whilst spinning at
circa 10,000 RPM.

Don't use many angle grinders do you? Regardless of the 10,000 RPM, it
still does not approach the speed of a simple circular saw or a sawzall.

This is exactly how someone killed themselves with a diamond disc in
an angle grinder, it kicked back off a tree stump and embedded itself
in their neck severing an artery. Most likely a tabbed diamond disc
where the slots snagged on a particularly resilient group of wood
fibres so launching the grinder up into the victim's neck.

It's clear you don't use an angle grinder much. Any wheel in an angle
grinder is capable of kick back. All you have to do is contact the leading
edge of the rotating wheel. To my point - it's not a matter of the wheel in
use, it's a matter of where you contact it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Don't use many angle grinders do you? Regardless of the 10,000 RPM, it
still does not approach the speed of a simple circular saw or a sawzall.

My simple circular saw RPM is less than half that. Peripheral speed
unknown though
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
spamlet has brought this to us :
I also did almost buy a reciprocating saw in either Aldi of Lidl
when they were going v cheap last year. At the time though, I
thought I'd always be fit enough to use hand saws...

The reciprocating saw will fit and cut, where you cannot possibly get
a hand saw into. I have found mine to be particularly useful for
cutting tree roots, whilst still buried in the ground.

And there's always harbor freight for a cheap source. Better than using an angle
grinder and having an accident.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
In the old days B&D used to do a 5" circular saw blade as a drill
attachment.

Yup, had one of those

Can't imagine what it could have been used for,

It was usefull for cutting sheet material or ripping down the odd
floorboard :-)

Yes, I can imagine ripping a floorboard with that thing :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

John Rumm wrote:
On 16/05/2010 14:48, stuart noble wrote:

Don't use many angle grinders do you? Regardless of the 10,000 RPM, it
still does not approach the speed of a simple circular saw or a sawzall.

My simple circular saw RPM is less than half that. Peripheral speed
unknown though

Multiply by the blade circumference... so for a 190mm blade at 4500 rpm
that is 4500 x 0.19 x pi = 2686 m/sec

I knew I could count on you :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...

The blue black Aldi variable speed one. The spring which closes the lever
for foot adjustment seems to have weakened (may just be choked up with saw
dust), other than that it works well.

I have an even cheaper PPro one I bought in a clearance and it does roots
really well.
It says maximum cut 100mm but it cuts anything the blade fits, I have some
10" green wood blades and it works fine.
For demolition I have some tungsten tipped blades and just cut through the
wood and metal.
The whole lot was ~£20.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On May 16, 4:42*pm, stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Multiply by the blade circumference... so for a 190mm blade at 4500 rpm
that is 4500 x 0.19 x pi = 2686 m/sec

Heh-heh, blade tip travelling at beyond even rail gun projectile
hypersonic speed would be fun.

I knew I could count on you :-)

RPS = 4500rpm / 60 = 75
Circumference is 2*Pi*R = 2 * 3.14 * 0.19/2 = 0.59m
Circumferential speed = 75 * 0.49 = 44m/sec.

At 4,500rpm you have almost 100 miles per hour. At 10,000rpm you have
200 miles per hour. Quite a few angle grinders run 12,000rpm, still
far below the sound barrier.

Due to the way an angle grinder is mechanically driven, stopping one
in motion as with a tree root will hurl the saw at speed. A chainsaw
will not do this hence eminently less dangeous than a freakin angle
grinder.

Alligator saw is expensive but handles both demolition & general
precise wood cutting, a jigsaw with a wood ripping blade is cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Bob F wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
spamlet has brought this to us :
I also did almost buy a reciprocating saw in either Aldi of Lidl
when they were going v cheap last year. At the time though, I
thought I'd always be fit enough to use hand saws...

The reciprocating saw will fit and cut, where you cannot possibly get
a hand saw into. I have found mine to be particularly useful for
cutting tree roots, whilst still buried in the ground.

And there's always harbor freight for a cheap source. Better than using an angle
grinder and having an accident.

OP is in the UK- No HF over there, but they likely have something similar.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

stuart noble wrote:
Don't use many angle grinders do you? Regardless of the 10,000 RPM,
it still does not approach the speed of a simple circular saw or a
sawzall.

My simple circular saw RPM is less than half that. Peripheral speed
unknown though

You are correct - my error in the way I stated that. I meant to say it does
not approach the speed of the cut of a circular saw.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 May 2010 09:35:11 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

spamlet has brought this to us :
I also did almost buy a reciprocating saw in either Aldi of Lidl when they
were going v cheap last year. At the time though, I thought I'd always be
fit enough to use hand saws...

The reciprocating saw will fit and cut, where you cannot possibly get a
hand saw into. I have found mine to be particularly useful for cutting
tree roots, whilst still buried in the ground.

With the right blade the sawzall will cut just about anything, just
about anywhere.
And unlike the cheap clones, it will do it decade after decade.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 May 2010 09:07:00 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

js.b1 wrote:

On May 16, 4:26 am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
[...]

And MOST people who know enough to use the angle grinder safely would
also know enough, and have the equipment available, to use the right
tool for the job.

To safely act as a saw, a rotating tool should also have a "shoe",
like a circular saw.

And it's not the RPM that counts, it's the surface (cutting) speed. A
5" blade needs to run a LOT faster than a 10" blade to give the same
cutting speed, or to have the same danger of throwing a tip
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 May 2010 14:48:43 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Don't use many angle grinders do you? Regardless of the 10,000 RPM, it
still does not approach the speed of a simple circular saw or a sawzall.

My simple circular saw RPM is less than half that. Peripheral speed
unknown though

Just checked a couple saws. One, a 6.5" runs 3700RPM for a cutting
speed of 6269sfpm.
Another, 7.25" @ 5000 rpm for 9490sfpm.
a 5" grinder @10,000 rpm is 13090 sfpm -