Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

js.b1 wrote:

Diamond blade plus angle grinder on a treet stump killed someone
recently (kickback into neck). Suicidal.

Bull. Diamond wheel on an angle grinder is the wrong combination, but not
for that reason. Kickback has nothing to do with the wheel on the grinder,
but instead has everything to do with where on contacts the wheel.
Suicidal? Not at all. One stupid move on the part of a user does not make
a tool suicidal.

You can use a cheap jigsaw with wood ripping blade if you cut them
over a table. Very quick unless stuff is 2in thick.
You can use a reciprocating saw - like a normal handsaw but two blades
driven like hedge trimmer blades, but they cost somewhat more (better
for chopping thro old studwork).

A reciprocating saw more typically just has one blade that simply, well...
reciprocates.

I would not suggest even a handheld circular because of the risk - you
are working "sloppy-fast" which could result in kickback or accidents.
The jigsaw would probably be best for thin cladding (shiplap etc), a
lot quicker than you realise.

It's fairly difficult to develop kickback with a circular saw. Not
impossible, but not easy. A circular saw would make a good choice for
materials 1/2" and up. Below that, I'd probably just break the stuff over
my knee...

--

-Mike-