Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Right Angle Grinder

What does it do?

I have a book showing it used to abrade the high spots on a concrete
surface; how does this use compare to an orbital sander?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
ups.com...
What does it do?

I have a book showing it used to abrade the high spots on a concrete
surface; how does this use compare to an orbital sander?

Orbital sander is good for finishing wood. Angle grinder can be used to sand
heavy rust, cut steel, grind a weld smooth. It is much more heavy duty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Agreed, an angle grinder is more agressive.

And when you consider the number of attachments you can get for it it
is a very useful tool to have around.

Do like me and buy both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They are two tools with different uses.

A right angle grinder with a diamond cup doesn't even come close to a
orbital sander with even the best sandpaper on concrete.

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
ups.com...
What does it do?

I have a book showing it used to abrade the high spots on a concrete
surface; how does this use compare to an orbital sander?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is much more heavy duty.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
ups.com...
What does it do?

I have a book showing it used to abrade the high spots on a concrete
surface; how does this use compare to an orbital sander?

Thanks

What do you want to do?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 5:32 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Thanks

What do you want to do?

Steve

I'm not sure I want to do anything. :-) I need to roughen up a
concrete floor a bit and the books show a right angle grinder being
used to grind down some high spots. I have not yet established that
there *are* any high spots, so a regular sanding block is probably all
I need in the short term.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 11, 5:32 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Thanks

What do you want to do?

Steve

I'm not sure I want to do anything. :-) I need to roughen up a
concrete floor a bit and the books show a right angle grinder being
used to grind down some high spots. I have not yet established that
there *are* any high spots, so a regular sanding block is probably all
I need in the short term.

A right angle grinder will take off lots of material. Useful if you want to
knock down high spots, grout, or if you want to knock off cool decking.
Maybe you want to take off the shine from polishing so epoxy paint would
stick better. Then use an orbital with coarse grit, or you could use
sanding discs on an angle grinder, but it may leave visible marks after
painting. Or, you could use a knot brush, either a flat "stringer" type, or
"cup knot brush."

If you do get one of these, beware. I have used them for twenty five years
now, and they deserve a LOT of respect.

Steve

Angle Grinder use bhads UK diy 3 August 7th 05 03:27 PM
Angle Grinder Advice mike. buckley UK diy 45 May 14th 05 10:49 AM
Abrasives for a Angle Grinder tcleek Woodturning 4 May 11th 05 02:38 AM
FS 4" angle grinder $10 new inc shipping Rex B Metalworking 4 March 9th 05 04:17 PM
Angle Grinder... tony sayer UK diy 13 August 10th 04 02:54 AM