mike. buckley

Default Angle Grinder Advice

Hi,

I'm midway through laying my patio, and due to my cack handedness with
using a hammer and chisel to cut the slabs, I need an angle grinder to
cut around half a dozen slabs that will fit round the dwarf wall of my
conservatory. Can the regulars suggest the cheapest way of doing this? I
don't currently have an angle grinder, and would like to go for a cheap
as chips model (with diamond wheel) so I won't care too much if it dies
straight after the job.

Only problem is the slabs are real stone, and the thickness varies
between 20mm and 35mm.

Any suggestions for something that will do the job that I can pick up
from one of the sheds?

Thanks

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
chris French

In message , mike.
buckley writes
Hi,

I'm midway through laying my patio, and due to my cack handedness with
using a hammer and chisel to cut the slabs, I need an angle grinder to
cut around half a dozen slabs that will fit round the dwarf wall of my
conservatory. Can the regulars suggest the cheapest way of doing this?
I don't currently have an angle grinder, and would like to go for a
cheap as chips model (with diamond wheel) so I won't care too much if
it dies straight after the job.

Only problem is the slabs are real stone, and the thickness varies
between 20mm and 35mm.

Any suggestions for something that will do the job that I can pick up
from one of the sheds?

Just pick up whatever cheapy angle grinder is available in your local
sheds - these things are changing all the time Or from Screwfix,
Toolstation etc.. A 4 1/2 inch grinder will be cheapest and will do. But
probably won't cut right through all the slabs (not really necessary
though). Having used one for cutting paving though I'd probably go for
a 9 inch one.

Watch the price of disks in the sheds. For half a dozen flags then just
plain cutting disks would probably be fine.,
--
Chris French, Leeds
David Lang

Hi Mike
Only problem is the slabs are real stone, and the thickness varies
between 20mm and 35mm.

Any suggestions for something that will do the job that I can pick up
from one of the sheds?

I bought a 9" jobby from Wickes for under £40 and found a pack of two
diamond discs in B&Q on clearance for a tenner.

Cut all my slabs and I've still got it for the next job - at less cost than
hiring one for the weekend.

I'd zoom around all the local sheds/mail order guys to see who has what on
offer. Makro has some cheapies if you have a card.

Dave

mike. buckley wrote:
[...]

cheapest 4.x" dangle grinder and a diamond disc will do that.
screwfix ferm grinder =A315
toolstation diamond blades 3 for =A311
you might get them cheaper if you hunt, have heard of grinders as low
as =A37 and diamond discs =A31.

NT

Christian McArdle

Any suggestions for something that will do the job that I can pick up
from one of the sheds?

I got my grinder from toolstation (or was it screwfix?) for 6 quid, plus 8
quid for a disc (not their cheapest diamond, either). Goes right through
30mm concrete pavers like a knife through butter. As for stone, that depends
on what you have. Granite is very different from sandstone.

Christian.

mike. buckley

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
Any suggestions for something that will do the job that I can pick up
from one of the sheds?

I got my grinder from toolstation (or was it screwfix?) for 6 quid, plus 8
quid for a disc (not their cheapest diamond, either). Goes right through
30mm concrete pavers like a knife through butter. As for stone, that depends
on what you have. Granite is very different from sandstone.

Christian.

It ain't sandstone! It's bloody hard, although it's not granite or
marble either. I guess it's imported and it's marketed as "Old Black",
guess it's similar to Yorkstone.

Thanks all for the replies, I was wondering whether a 4.x grinder would
do it, and as I only have a few slabs, that's probably what I'll get.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Lee

mike. buckley wrote:

I don't currently have an angle grinder, and would like to go for a cheap
as chips model (with diamond wheel) so I won't care too much if it dies
straight after the job.

I'm hardly one to jump on the safety aspect, but you do have suitable
gloves and eye protection?

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mike. buckley wrote:
I'm midway through laying my patio, and due to my cack handedness with
using a hammer and chisel to cut the slabs, I need an angle grinder to
cut around half a dozen slabs that will fit round the dwarf wall of my
conservatory. Can the regulars suggest the cheapest way of doing this? I
don't currently have an angle grinder, and would like to go for a cheap
as chips model (with diamond wheel) so I won't care too much if it dies
straight after the job.

Only problem is the slabs are real stone, and the thickness varies
between 20mm and 35mm.

Any suggestions for something that will do the job that I can pick up
from one of the sheds?

Personally, angle grinders terrify me.

I've used an el cheapo Plasplugs electric tile cutter on york stone. Just
take it slowly and don't run it continuously. No more than about a 50%
duty cycle.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Christian McArdle

I'm hardly one to jump on the safety aspect, but you do have suitable
gloves and eye protection?

Yes. I tend to use the full face shield, ear defenders and even a proper
respirator, depending on what I'm cutting, or if it is a relatively confined
space.

Christian.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
mike. buckley wrote:
I'm midway through laying my patio, and due to my cack handedness with
using a hammer and chisel to cut the slabs, I need an angle grinder to
cut around half a dozen slabs that will fit round the dwarf wall of my
conservatory. Can the regulars suggest the cheapest way of doing this? I
don't currently have an angle grinder, and would like to go for a cheap
as chips model (with diamond wheel) so I won't care too much if it dies
straight after the job.

Only problem is the slabs are real stone, and the thickness varies
between 20mm and 35mm.

Any suggestions for something that will do the job that I can pick up
from one of the sheds?

Personally, angle grinders terrify me.

I don't see why, they are not particularly nasty to my mind.

I've used an el cheapo Plasplugs electric tile cutter on york stone. Just
take it slowly and don't run it continuously. No more than about a 50%
duty cycle.

Any fixed saw in a saw bench type of thing gives me much more of the
heeby jeebies than portable tools like angle grinders.

Having said that the only serious damage I've done to myself with a
power tool was with an angle grinder. Sheer carelessness and nearly
any other sort of tool would have done *far* more damage, as it was
the basic bluntness of an angle grinder wheel meant that I just lost a
bit of thumb. The local casualty department made an excellent job
of getting the missing bit to grow back again and it's as good as new
now.

--
Chris Green

mike. buckley

In message , Lee
writes
mike. buckley wrote:

I don't currently have an angle grinder, and would like to go for a
cheap as chips model (with diamond wheel) so I won't care too much if
it dies straight after the job.

I'm hardly one to jump on the safety aspect, but you do have suitable
gloves and eye protection?

Lee

Goggles will be bought. I have glasses and been lucky in the past when
grinding metal - but am older and wiser now...

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
mike. buckley

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
mike. buckley wrote:
I'm midway through laying my patio, and due to my cack handedness with
using a hammer and chisel to cut the slabs, I need an angle grinder to
cut around half a dozen slabs that will fit round the dwarf wall of my
conservatory. Can the regulars suggest the cheapest way of doing this? I
don't currently have an angle grinder, and would like to go for a cheap
as chips model (with diamond wheel) so I won't care too much if it dies
straight after the job.

Only problem is the slabs are real stone, and the thickness varies
between 20mm and 35mm.

Any suggestions for something that will do the job that I can pick up
from one of the sheds?

Personally, angle grinders terrify me.

I think they're great!

I've used an el cheapo Plasplugs electric tile cutter on york stone. Just
take it slowly and don't run it continuously. No more than about a 50%
duty cycle.

Some of the slabs are 900mmx600mm, my plasplugs tile cutter would
probably collapse under the weight (like me!)

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
David Lang

Hi Chris
Having said that the only serious damage I've done to myself with a
power tool was with an angle grinder. Sheer carelessness and nearly
any other sort of tool would have done *far* more damage, as it was
the basic bluntness of an angle grinder wheel meant that I just lost a
bit of thumb.

Mate of mine told me once why 9" angle grinders have two handles. Not so
much so you can hold on, more so you know where both hands are all the time.
I've used this advice (don't let go with either hand till blade stops) ever
since a minor mishap - let the grinder drop to my side where the blade
became tangled in my jogging bottoms, pulled it into my leg whilst still
moving a bit.

Fortunately the joggers slowed it down enough and it only left a scratch on
my leg. Full whack and it would probably have taken it off.

Dave

AlexW

mike. buckley wrote:

It ain't sandstone! It's bloody hard, although it's not granite or
marble either. I guess it's imported and it's marketed as "Old Black",
guess it's similar to Yorkstone.

Not heard of old black but it sounds a bit like indian paving ... used
my 4" grinder with diamond blade on mine to score about 1/2 way or so
and then split with a bolster. Went all the way through for internal
corners etc. IIRC grinder got to hot to hold at one point.

Dampening the stone slightly helped ...

HTH,

Alex.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
wrote:
Personally, angle grinders terrify me.

I don't see why, they are not particularly nasty to my mind.

I've used an el cheapo Plasplugs electric tile cutter on york stone.
Just take it slowly and don't run it continuously. No more than about
a 50% duty cycle.

Any fixed saw in a saw bench type of thing gives me much more of the
heeby jeebies than portable tools like angle grinders.

A bench wood saw can grab the timber and send it into orbit if things are
wrong, but I've never felt worried with a tile cutter. Although I do tend
to use mine outside clamped to a workmate.

Having said that the only serious damage I've done to myself with a
power tool was with an angle grinder. Sheer carelessness and nearly
any other sort of tool would have done *far* more damage, as it was
the basic bluntness of an angle grinder wheel meant that I just lost a
bit of thumb. The local casualty department made an excellent job
of getting the missing bit to grow back again and it's as good as new
now.

QED. ;-)

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

AlexW

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've used an el cheapo Plasplugs electric tile cutter on york stone. Just
take it slowly and don't run it continuously. No more than about a 50%
duty cycle.

How did you get the slabs onto is an manoeuvre? The mental picture I
have is a little confusing. The real yorkstone flagging I have been
involved with usually is a bit on the heavy side (and often 2+ inches
thick).

Curiously,

Alex.

AlexW

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
mike. buckley wrote:

I'm midway through laying my patio, and due to my cack handedness with
using a hammer and chisel to cut the slabs, I need an angle grinder to
cut around half a dozen slabs that will fit round the dwarf wall of my
conservatory. Can the regulars suggest the cheapest way of doing this? I
don't currently have an angle grinder, and would like to go for a cheap
as chips model (with diamond wheel) so I won't care too much if it dies
straight after the job.

Only problem is the slabs are real stone, and the thickness varies
between 20mm and 35mm.

Any suggestions for something that will do the job that I can pick up
from one of the sheds?

Personally, angle grinders terrify me.

I don't see why, they are not particularly nasty to my mind.

I think 4" are great little tools, used with care ... 9" and your into
gyroscopic devices which are difficult handle and a load of dust which
needs to be wet down seriously (electrical hazard) or extracted (which
can be awkward). If you catch a 9" while cutting something, just hope
you legs or face are not in the way as it can be quite difficult to control.

I've used an el cheapo Plasplugs electric tile cutter on york stone. Just
take it slowly and don't run it continuously. No more than about a 50%
duty cycle.

Any fixed saw in a saw bench type of thing gives me much more of the
heeby jeebies than portable tools like angle grinders.

Why? They don't do anything unpredictable (on the whole).

Having said that the only serious damage I've done to myself with a
power tool was with an angle grinder. Sheer carelessness and nearly
any other sort of tool would have done *far* more damage, as it was
the basic bluntness of an angle grinder wheel meant that I just lost a
bit of thumb. The local casualty department made an excellent job
of getting the missing bit to grow back again and it's as good as new
now.

Surely that's a clue...

Alex
BigWallop

"mike. buckley" wrote in message
k...
Hi,

I'm midway through laying my patio, and due to my cack handedness with
using a hammer and chisel to cut the slabs, I need an angle grinder to
cut around half a dozen slabs that will fit round the dwarf wall of my
conservatory. Can the regulars suggest the cheapest way of doing this? I
don't currently have an angle grinder, and would like to go for a cheap
as chips model (with diamond wheel) so I won't care too much if it dies
straight after the job.

Only problem is the slabs are real stone, and the thickness varies
between 20mm and 35mm.

Any suggestions for something that will do the job that I can pick up
from one of the sheds?

Thanks

Mike Buckley

If you aren't going to use the grinder again in the very near future, then
why not hire one for a weekend. Much cheaper, and all you really buy are
the stone cutting wheels, for which most hire shops will take back the ones
you didn't use. Always take two more than you think you'll need, but with
only half a dozen slabs to cut, you'll probably only need three at most.

Hire the big 9 inch grinder, or the actual slab cutter thingy, to be sure
you'll get the nice clean finish you need.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
AlexW wrote:
I've used an el cheapo Plasplugs electric tile cutter on york stone.
Just take it slowly and don't run it continuously. No more than about
a 50% duty cycle.

How did you get the slabs onto is an manoeuvre? The mental picture I
have is a little confusing. The real yorkstone flagging I have been
involved with usually is a bit on the heavy side (and often 2+ inches
thick).

They were fairly small compared to some - I wanted a sort of rural look.
So rectangular but irregular sized slabs - the biggest perhaps 2 x 1.5 ft,
but many smaller. And up to about 2" thick.

I've got the larger Plasplugs cutter - Tradesman? - and had it solidly
mounted. Removed the guard, and simply gently cut to the depth of the
blade. Then a tap with a bolster broke them pretty neatly down the cut.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
The Natural Philosopher

mike. buckley wrote:

In message , Lee
writes

mike. buckley wrote:

I don't currently have an angle grinder, and would like to go for a
cheap as chips model (with diamond wheel) so I won't care too much
if it dies straight after the job.

I'm hardly one to jump on the safety aspect, but you do have suitable
gloves and eye protection?

Lee

Goggles will be bought. I have glasses and been lucky in the past when
grinding metal - but am older and wiser now...

I got a day of coughing after carving through some sandstone, but then I
smoke so its not unusual.

Metal though produces molten blobs that fly. galles is good, goggles may
be better.

However an attitude of respect is far more use than a false sense of
security caused by wearing all teh gear. Angle grindres can still cut
through steel toecaps and the toes inside.

I remember a very vety old 'scouting for boys' book I skimmed once.

The advice that stuck with me was on chopping wood, with an axe

'don't use a blunt tool and don't slog at it when you are tired.
Slogging causes accidents, as does a blunt tool. A good scout knoww when
he is tired, and refreshes himself, and sharpens his tool...'
:-)
The Natural Philosopher

mike. buckley wrote:

[...]

I hired an angle grinder and diamond disc for 17 quid, and cut through
about 15 sandstone slabs in under half an hour.

Essy peasy.
Jeff

Whatever you decide to do get a diamond disk, much easier and better cut
than a 'stone cutting' disk.

Regards Jeff

John Rumm

BigWallop wrote:

you didn't use. Always take two more than you think you'll need, but with
only half a dozen slabs to cut, you'll probably only need three at most.

That's three per slab ;-)

(concrete 600x600mm slabs will eat abrasive discs at that sort of rate.
No point in using anything other than a diamond disc IMHO - they cut
faster, cleaner and safer and last for ages)

Hire the big 9 inch grinder, or the actual slab cutter thingy, to be sure
you'll get the nice clean finish you need.

Yup, a stone cutter with a water feed can be good - better ballance for
cutting large slabs.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike

"John Rumm" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

you didn't use. Always take two more than you think you'll need, but

with
only half a dozen slabs to cut, you'll probably only need three at most.

That's three per slab ;-)

(concrete 600x600mm slabs will eat abrasive discs at that sort of rate.
No point in using anything other than a diamond disc IMHO - they cut
faster, cleaner and safer and last for ages)

Also buy the diamond disc. It usually works out cheaper then renting it and
paying for mm of use and you'll have it for future use.

Mike Dodd

Jeff wrote:
Whatever you decide to do get a diamond disk, much easier and better cut
than a 'stone cutting' disk.

I'll second that.

Tried with Indian Sandstone, normal stone cutting disks were impressive
- gave the impression that they were eating into the stone, only for me
to realise (once the dust settled) that they were, in fact, just eating
themselves away at a good rate of knots. Maybe I chose a cheap variety?,
they were a standard range from Screwfix?, but I bought a couple of
cheap-ish diamond blades at the same time. The diamond blades cut
through the stone like butter (well, maybe not quite, but compared to
the normal disks... you get the picture).

AlexW

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
AlexW wrote:

I've used an el cheapo Plasplugs electric tile cutter on york stone.
Just take it slowly and don't run it continuously. No more than about
a 50% duty cycle.

How did you get the slabs onto is an manoeuvre? The mental picture I
have is a little confusing. The real yorkstone flagging I have been
involved with usually is a bit on the heavy side (and often 2+ inches
thick).

They were fairly small compared to some - I wanted a sort of rural look.
So rectangular but irregular sized slabs - the biggest perhaps 2 x 1.5 ft,
but many smaller. And up to about 2" thick.

I've got the larger Plasplugs cutter - Tradesman? - and had it solidly
mounted. Removed the guard, and simply gently cut to the depth of the
blade. Then a tap with a bolster broke them pretty neatly down the cut.

Ahh ... I get it now. Solves the lube/dust problem with a device
desinged to be used wet.

Cheers,

Alex.

AlexW

Mike Dodd wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Whatever you decide to do get a diamond disk, much easier and better cut
than a 'stone cutting' disk.

I'll second that.

Tried with Indian Sandstone, normal stone cutting disks were impressive
- gave the impression that they were eating into the stone, only for me
to realise (once the dust settled) that they were, in fact, just eating
themselves away at a good rate of knots. Maybe I chose a cheap variety?,
they were a standard range from Screwfix?, but I bought a couple of
cheap-ish diamond blades at the same time. The diamond blades cut
through the stone like butter (well, maybe not quite, but compared to
the normal disks... you get the picture).

Thirded!

Don't forget, the wider the blade (abrasives are usually wider than
diamond) the better a "stone to dust convertor" the grinder will become.
This means more work for the grinder, more heat, as well as more dust.

David Lang wrote:
Hi Chris
Having said that the only serious damage I've done to myself with a
power tool was with an angle grinder. Sheer carelessness and nearly
any other sort of tool would have done *far* more damage, as it was
the basic bluntness of an angle grinder wheel meant that I just lost a
bit of thumb.

Mate of mine told me once why 9" angle grinders have two handles. Not so
much so you can hold on, more so you know where both hands are all the time.
I've used this advice (don't let go with either hand till blade stops) ever
since a minor mishap - let the grinder drop to my side where the blade
became tangled in my jogging bottoms, pulled it into my leg whilst still
moving a bit.

Fortunately the joggers slowed it down enough and it only left a scratch on
my leg. Full whack and it would probably have taken it off.

I doubt it actually, angle grinder discs are not particularly good at
cutting into soft things like flesh. If you've ever touched a sanding
disk by mistake it rarely does any serious damage and I suspect a
cutting disc will be similar.

The only reason that the angle grinder did my thumb any serious damage
was because (stop reading at this point if you're squeamish) it caught
my thumb between the guard and the disc. If the guard hadn't been
there I'd have got away with just a scratch.

--
Chris Green

AlexW wrote:
Any fixed saw in a saw bench type of thing gives me much more of the
heeby jeebies than portable tools like angle grinders.

Why? They don't do anything unpredictable (on the whole).

Because there is a blade whizzing around not *very* obviously and I
have both hands free to stick on it by mistake if I'm not careful.

On the other hand with an angle grinder, chainsaw, hedge trimmer, etc.
both hands are always firmly clamped onto the handles of the tool well
away from danger.

--
Chris Green
Christian McArdle

Whatever you decide to do get a diamond disk, much easier and better cut
than a 'stone cutting' disk.

Yes. Their charge for a single mm increment is usually higher than the cost
of a cheap diamond disc.

Christian.

Chris Bacon

AlexW wrote:
IIRC grinder got to hot to hold at one point.

You, Sir, have been abusing your tool.

AlexW

David Lang wrote:

Hi Chris

[...]

If you touch the side face, possibly.

If you propel the edge of an abrasive disc, at high angular and linear
velocity into some skin/flesh, with a few kilos of weight behind it, I
think the results will be different. IMO.

Bring a diamond blade into the scenario and I reckon things will be
loads worse. IMO.

I have not tried either, and won't be doing so, but a mate of mine in
the building trade told me a story about a mangled jaw that turned my
stomach. Maybe an urban myth ... who knows?

The only reason that the angle grinder did my thumb any serious damage
was because (stop reading at this point if you're squeamish) it caught
my thumb between the guard and the disc. If the guard hadn't been
there I'd have got away with just a scratch.

Is this a subtle suggestion?
The Natural Philosopher

Mike wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

BigWallop wrote:

you didn't use. Always take two more than you think you'll need, but

with

only half a dozen slabs to cut, you'll probably only need three at most.

That's three per slab ;-)

(concrete 600x600mm slabs will eat abrasive discs at that sort of rate.
No point in using anything other than a diamond disc IMHO - they cut
faster, cleaner and safer and last for ages)

Also buy the diamond disc. It usually works out cheaper then renting it and
paying for mm of use and you'll have it for future use.

Mine cost me precisely 75p (minimum hire charge) because wear on it was
'immesurable'
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

Whatever you decide to do get a diamond disk, much easier and better cut
than a 'stone cutting' disk.

Yes. Their charge for a single mm increment is usually higher than the cost
of a cheap diamond disc.

Not.

My disc was a 34 quid disc, and the hire charge was 75p.

They worked at less than a mm increment.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Yes. Their charge for a single mm increment is usually higher than the
cost
of a cheap diamond disc.

Not.

My disc was a 34 quid disc, and the hire charge was 75p.

I was quoted 20 quid as the minimum increment. A complete scam.

Christian.