Andrew Mawson

Default Improvised Angle drill

Problem today drilling holes through a rafter / joist combination for coach
bolts - needed to drill 36 holes and couldn't get the ordinary drill into
the joist space at the right angle - ok go buy a cheap angle drill - look at
Screwfix - only expensive battery ones that probably aren't powerful enough
anyway. Got one of those nasty 90 deg gear boxes but they spin all over the
place and run horribly hot.

Improvised Solution: Standard Bosh angle grinder has a 14mm male stud - ex
old drill chuck has a 3/8" UNF male stud. Made an adaptor out of 35mm of
3/4" hex steel bar with a 14mm female thread at one and and a 3/8 UNF female
thread at the other - screw it all together and we have a (rather fast)
angle drill at zero cost. Drills 10 mm holes nice and square to the joists -
problem solved! OK it runs far too fast really but got the job done, and to
think I've struggled all these years under floors drilling slightly angled
holes for cable runs that you can never pull through in long lengths due the
the angles and I had a disguised angle drill in the tool box all the time!

Andrew Mawson

Lurch

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:31:44 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

[...]

You can pick up ac speed controllers for not a lot of money, speed
problem solved and still cheaper than an angle drill.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
MrCheerful

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
[...]

good idea, I will definitely copy the idea.

MrCheerful

OldScrawn

good idea, I will definitely copy the idea.

aaargh just ordered the Ryobi "twin pack" from toolstation

on the other hand, the time I'd spend messing about making an adaptor and
hunting around for my old power controller, it's probably worth the £109....
IMM

[...]

Did you have to thread the steel bar? How much is the cheapest Bosch angle
drill? Where do you get, and how much is a speed controller? I haven' seen
one of those for years.

Andrew Mawson

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Bosch angle grinder in toool box for last 7 years - no idea of price
Threading of hex bar simple job on lathe - took 10 minutes as I have the
appropriate tooling
Speed controller - haven't a clue as I didn't use one.

Andrew Mawson

Dave Plowman

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Did you have to thread the steel bar? How much is the cheapest Bosch
angle drill? Where do you get, and how much is a speed controller? I
haven' seen one of those for years.

Maplin sell a drill speed controller kit for 19.99 - VE90. You'll also
need a box and input output cables/sockets etc. It works very well, but
may not reduce the speed of an angle grinder sufficiently for some
drilling applications.

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
IMM

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

So if I go to a local machine shop, they will charge me £20 to do it, then I
have to buy then Bosch angle grinder, then the mains speed controller. And
it is not guaranteed to work either. The chuck could spin off causing
injury. All ads up. A search on Goggle gives £112 for a mains angle
drill. Rip off I know. The Royobi twin drill pack with an angle drill,
then looks excellent value for money.

Kalico

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Bosch angle grinder in toool box for last 7 years - no idea of price
Threading of hex bar simple job on lathe - took 10 minutes as I have the
appropriate tooling
Speed controller - haven't a clue as I didn't use one.

Andrew Mawson

So when can you start mass producing these and selling them to use for a
reasonable cost? Sure there must be a market for a gadget like that.

Rob

Tony Bryer

In article , Kalico wrote:
So when can you start mass producing these and selling them to
use for a reasonable cost? Sure there must be a market for a
gadget like that.

Put a blunt drill in and at that speed you'd probably burn through
the joist. But for someone like Ferm ISTM that they would only have
to change the gear ratio and add a chuck to be able to offer a £25
angle drill, though when we discussed this a while back the feeling
seemed to be that the market just wouldn't be big enough.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

IMM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Kalico wrote:

So when can you start mass producing these and selling them to
use for a reasonable cost? Sure there must be a market for a
gadget like that.

You have to satisfy CE safety etc, which I'm sure a cheap conversion kit
would not.

Put a blunt drill in and at that speed you'd probably burn through
the joist. But for someone like Ferm ISTM that they would only have
to change the gear ratio and add a chuck to be able to offer a £25
angle drill, though when we discussed this a while back the feeling
seemed to be that the market just wouldn't be big enough.

All the big players make battery angles drills: DeWalt, Bosch, Makita.
Ryobi have now come on board and there are a few brands only available in
the USA too. And you may find soon that others will follow. A cheap main
drill can be thrown together for under £20.

Andrew Mawson

"Kalico" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Bosch angle grinder in toool box for last 7 years - no idea of price
Threading of hex bar simple job on lathe - took 10 minutes as I have the
appropriate tooling
Speed controller - haven't a clue as I didn't use one.

Andrew Mawson

So when can you start mass producing these and selling them to use for a
reasonable cost? Sure there must be a market for a gadget like that.

Rob

I'm prepared to make a few adaptors if you have the angle grinder with a
14mm stud and the appropriate 3/8" UNF male chuck. What are people prepared
to pay ?

Andrew Mawson

stuart noble

Tony Bryer wrote in message ...
In article , Kalico wrote:
So when can you start mass producing these and selling them to
use for a reasonable cost? Sure there must be a market for a
gadget like that.

Put a blunt drill in and at that speed you'd probably burn through
the joist. But for someone like Ferm ISTM that they would only have
to change the gear ratio and add a chuck to be able to offer a £25
angle drill, though when we discussed this a while back the feeling
seemed to be that the market just wouldn't be big enough.

Yeah, only ever used to drill square through joists. No market at all
really, apart from plumbing and electrics. :-)

PoP

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:34:14 -0000, "stuart noble"
wrote:

Yeah, only ever used to drill square through joists. No market at all
really, apart from plumbing and electrics. :-)

I sent an email earlier today to NuTool, putting forward a suggestion
that they might like to think about bringing out an angle drill, and
also a laminate trimmer. I enclosed links to the tools I was
suggesting to ensure they fully understood what I was referring to. No
response as yet and perhaps there never will be.

However both of these devices are well within NuTool capabilities to
mass produce, and they could mop up if they brought out tools at a
sensible price.

If enough people put forward the same suggestions I'm sure the
relevant notice might be taken.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!

IMM

wrote:

Yeah, only ever used to drill square through joists. No market at all
really, apart from plumbing and electrics. :-)

I sent an email earlier today to NuTool, putting forward a suggestion
that they might like to think about bringing out an angle drill, and
also a laminate trimmer. I enclosed links to the tools I was
suggesting to ensure they fully understood what I was referring to. No
response as yet and perhaps there never will be.

However both of these devices are well within NuTool capabilities to
mass produce, and they could mop up if they brought out tools at a
sensible price.

If enough people put forward the same suggestions I'm sure the
relevant notice might be taken.

NuTool do not make them. Jinding make them and put NuTools name on them.
The tools are from a standard catalogue. If Jinding make an angle drill
then Ferm or NuTool, etc could have one. Jinding made 14 million power
tools in 2003. Their catalogue is downloadable from the web site. You may
recognise some of the tool types which may be called NuTool, Challenge, etc.

http://www.jinding.com/

drifter

Never looked back since buying my De Walt DW160 dumpy drill about 4
years ago.

Basically it is a cylinder c. 90mm dia with a sideways on chuck. Back
side of drill to tip of closed chuck is around 110mm. It has solved an
enormous no awkward drilling problems & not just between joists. Where
necessary I use cut down spade bits - so you can drill a 1 in hole in
joist gaps of only 150-170mm.

No more angled/fiddled holes.

Main snag is that it is only c. 300W & mono-speed, so it is not a
replacement for a regular power drill. Also you have to be careful to
switch off at plug when leaving it as the switch is on the side of the
body & can turn on by the drill's own weight or an accidental knock.

Mine came from the late lamented BMJ Power (ex B&D service centre),
but B&Q were selling it as well. Paid around gbp130 - bit pricey but
for shear convenience, unbeatable.
Kalico

"Kalico" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Bosch angle grinder in toool box for last 7 years - no idea of price
Threading of hex bar simple job on lathe - took 10 minutes as I have

the
appropriate tooling
Speed controller - haven't a clue as I didn't use one.

Andrew Mawson

So when can you start mass producing these and selling them to use for a
reasonable cost? Sure there must be a market for a gadget like that.

Rob

I'm prepared to make a few adaptors if you have the angle grinder with a
14mm stud and the appropriate 3/8" UNF male chuck. What are people

prepared
to pay ?

Andrew Mawson

You suggest something - how long would they take to make?

Andrew Mawson

"Kalico" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Bosch angle grinder in toool box for last 7 years - no idea of price
Threading of hex bar simple job on lathe - took 10 minutes as I have

the
appropriate tooling
Speed controller - haven't a clue as I didn't use one.

Andrew Mawson

So when can you start mass producing these and selling them to use for

reasonable cost? Sure there must be a market for a gadget like that.

Rob

I'm prepared to make a few adaptors if you have the angle grinder with a
14mm stud and the appropriate 3/8" UNF male chuck. What are people

prepared
to pay ?

Andrew Mawson

You suggest something - how long would they take to make?

Well it's the usual story - it's not the actual job that takes the times
it's the setting up and clearing up afterwards. Actually doing the job -
probably 4 per hour - say £7.50 plus postage if enough people respond. Note
this is ONLY to make the adaptor - 14mm female to 3/8" UNF female - you need
your own chuck with a 3/8" unf male stud, and an angle grinder with a 14mm
stud (they mostly are) and the use you put it to is ENTIRELY at your own
risk.

If 10 people want them I'll make em

Andrew Mawson

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andrew Mawson wrote:
I'm prepared to make a few adaptors if you have the angle grinder with a
14mm stud and the appropriate 3/8" UNF male chuck. What are people
prepared to pay ?

You can put me down for one at a fiver.

--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

T i m

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:14:18 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Did you have to thread the steel bar? How much is the cheapest Bosch
angle drill? Where do you get, and how much is a speed controller? I
haven' seen one of those for years.

Maplin sell a drill speed controller kit for 19.99 - VE90. You'll also
need a box and input output cables/sockets etc. It works very well, but
may not reduce the speed of an angle grinder sufficiently for some
drilling applications.

I built a speed controller years ago (don't think it was a Maplin kit)
so my mate could use his big angle grinder as a car polishing mop. It
had pretty good torque control. It would would work VERY slowly and
was still pretty unstoppable?

It has only failed once (in the 10 years since I built it for him)
when the noise filter in the IEC socket failed. I replaced it with a
non filtered socket and off it went again ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
T i m

wrote:

Improvised Solution: Standard Bosh angle grinder has a 14mm male stud - ex
old drill chuck has a 3/8" UNF male stud. Made an adaptor out of 35mm of
3/4" hex steel bar

[T] Funny, I might have a job that could involve drilling a couple of
holes to mount a waterproof junction box in the gap between two house
extensions and was looking at angle drills ... ;-) (I cound get a
couple of plugs in and use a stubby screwdriver or even a 1/4" drive
socket set)

So is the 35mm 'connector' is as short as possible to take both the
studs witout them touching in the middle (as such)?

Do they make an angle grinder with an 'easy' on/off switch? Both of
mine have a fairly 'locky' slide type switch? Using it as a drill I
would think a drill type trigger might be safer (given the choice?).

Nice little job for the Myford ML10 eh ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Dave Plowman

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I built a speed controller years ago (don't think it was a Maplin kit)
so my mate could use his big angle grinder as a car polishing mop. It
had pretty good torque control. It would would work VERY slowly and
was still pretty unstoppable?

I found that my ordinary drill wouldn't go slow enough for some things -
even in low gear. I suppose the lowest it would go was about 200 rpm or so
- any slower and the motor started to smell. That's why I'm not sure an
electronic speed control would reduce the speed of an angle grinder
sufficiently to drill safely.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
John Rumm

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
IMM wrote:

Did you have to thread the steel bar? How much is the cheapest Bosch
angle drill? Where do you get, and how much is a speed controller? I
haven' seen one of those for years.

Maplin sell a drill speed controller kit for 19.99 - VE90. You'll also
need a box and input output cables/sockets etc. It works very well, but
may not reduce the speed of an angle grinder sufficiently for some
drilling applications.

And if you need a really crude and nasty speed reduction for a tool,
stick a rectifier diode in serise with the live. Runs it half wave so
don't expect smooth controled torque ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Frank

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
T i m wrote:
I built a speed controller years ago (don't think it was a Maplin kit)
so my mate could use his big angle grinder as a car polishing mop. It
had pretty good torque control. It would would work VERY slowly and
was still pretty unstoppable?

I found that my ordinary drill wouldn't go slow enough for some things -
even in low gear. I suppose the lowest it would go was about 200 rpm or so
- any slower and the motor started to smell. That's why I'm not sure an
electronic speed control would reduce the speed of an angle grinder
sufficiently to drill safely.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

why go to all the trouble when you can pick up stuff like this for £8

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=30 3

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andrew Mawson wrote:
Well it's the usual story - it's not the actual job that takes the times
it's the setting up and clearing up afterwards. Actually doing the job -
probably 4 per hour - say £7.50 plus postage if enough people respond.
Note this is ONLY to make the adaptor - 14mm female to 3/8" UNF female -
you need your own chuck with a 3/8" unf male stud, and an angle grinder
with a 14mm stud (they mostly are) and the use you put it to is ENTIRELY
at your own risk.

There's inflation for you. ;-) Put me down for one, though.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
IMM

T i m wrote:
I built a speed controller years ago (don't think it was a Maplin kit)
so my mate could use his big angle grinder as a car polishing mop. It
had pretty good torque control. It would would work VERY slowly and
was still pretty unstoppable?

I found that my ordinary drill wouldn't go slow enough for some things -
even in low gear. I suppose the lowest it would go was about 200 rpm or

so
- any slower and the motor started to smell. That's why I'm not sure an
electronic speed control would reduce the speed of an angle grinder
sufficiently to drill safely.

why go to all the trouble when you can pick up stuff like this for £8

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=30 3

Most tool stalls have these for around £10.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Frank wrote:
why go to all the trouble when you can pick up stuff like this for £8

That's the starting price. With 3.50 postage. And have you ever used one?
They're dreadfully unwieldy.

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
stuart noble

wrote:

Yeah, only ever used to drill square through joists. No market at all
really, apart from plumbing and electrics. :-)

I sent an email earlier today to NuTool, putting forward a suggestion
that they might like to think about bringing out an angle drill, and
also a laminate trimmer. I enclosed links to the tools I was
suggesting to ensure they fully understood what I was referring to. No
response as yet and perhaps there never will be.

The only 90 deg drill adaptor I've seen was £50+. You're right, it's a
massive gap in the market. I used one once with a small flap wheel which was
much more convenient than your standard drill.
Personally, I wouldn't fancy a flat bit on an angle grinder.

IMM

"John Weston" wrote in message
. ..
In article , abuse-
says...

why go to all the trouble when you can pick up stuff like this for £8

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=30 3

Most tool stalls have these for around £10.

As this one: http://makeashorterlink.com/?O22461277

The adaptor is a good idea though, since I have an angle
grinder with a soft start and electronic speed control
(doubles for polishing). Unfortunately, all the spare
chucks I have are female thread (and not M14...) It would
allow use of old "drill" attachments and chucks though,
so count me in for one.

By the time you buy an angle grinder with a soft start, speed control,
check, have the adaptor made, etc, you may as well buy a main angle drill.
I have seen them for 3112 on the web.

T i m

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:17:03 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I built a speed controller years ago (don't think it was a Maplin kit)
so my mate could use his big angle grinder as a car polishing mop. It
had pretty good torque control. It would would work VERY slowly and
was still pretty unstoppable?

I found that my ordinary drill wouldn't go slow enough for some things -
even in low gear. I suppose the lowest it would go was about 200 rpm or so
- any slower and the motor started to smell. That's why I'm not sure an
electronic speed control would reduce the speed of an angle grinder
sufficiently to drill safely.

[T] I think the idea is with these electronic speed controllers you
get nearly the same 'torque' as you would at full speed. What you
don't get of course is the intertia gained from such revs? I know my
D-Walt battery drill on low speed will twist the head off a No8 screw
at pretty low revs (AC-DC the concept is the same?).

I have a Lathe, soldering iron and spare cheap mini grinder so might
give it a try .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Thomas Prufer

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:20:51 +0000, T i m wrote:

I think the idea is with these electronic speed controllers you
get nearly the same 'torque' as you would at full speed. What you
don't get of course is the intertia gained from such revs?

What you don't get is the cooling from the motor fan.
With low-speed high-torque applications, like a polishing or brushing
with an angle grinder, the motor will tend to run hot if it's run at low
speeds. Care, cooling pauses, and maybe running it at full speed and no
load ever so often prevent motor damage.

Thomas Prufer
Dave Plowman

In article ,
T i m wrote:
[T] I think the idea is with these electronic speed controllers you
get nearly the same 'torque' as you would at full speed. What you
don't get of course is the intertia gained from such revs? I know my
D-Walt battery drill on low speed will twist the head off a No8 screw
at pretty low revs (AC-DC the concept is the same?).

But I'd say that starting torque isn't quite the same as constant speed
running. You might have to use full power on your screwdriver to do this
which would result in full speed running light.

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
T i m

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:48:19 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
[T] I think the idea is with these electronic speed controllers you
get nearly the same 'torque' as you would at full speed. What you
don't get of course is the intertia gained from such revs? I know my
D-Walt battery drill on low speed will twist the head off a No8 screw
at pretty low revs (AC-DC the concept is the same?).

But I'd say that starting torque isn't quite the same as constant speed
running.

[T] True ;-)

You might have to use full power on your screwdriver to do this
which would result in full speed running light.

[T] Possibly, unless the 'screwdriver' was powerfull and had good
feeback in it's controller then it would run the same speed on or off
load (that's sort of the point of the 'speed controller' .. it
maintains the 'speed' (RPM) by applying more or less 'power' as
needed) ?

All the best ..

T i m