Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
wrote:
Personally, angle grinders terrify me.

I don't see why, they are not particularly nasty to my mind.

I've used an el cheapo Plasplugs electric tile cutter on york stone.
Just take it slowly and don't run it continuously. No more than about
a 50% duty cycle.

Any fixed saw in a saw bench type of thing gives me much more of the
heeby jeebies than portable tools like angle grinders.

A bench wood saw can grab the timber and send it into orbit if things are
wrong, but I've never felt worried with a tile cutter. Although I do tend
to use mine outside clamped to a workmate.

Having said that the only serious damage I've done to myself with a
power tool was with an angle grinder. Sheer carelessness and nearly
any other sort of tool would have done *far* more damage, as it was
the basic bluntness of an angle grinder wheel meant that I just lost a
bit of thumb. The local casualty department made an excellent job
of getting the missing bit to grow back again and it's as good as new
now.

QED. ;-)

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.