Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

On Sat, 15 May 2010 15:16:35 -0500, "
wrote the following:

On Sat, 15 May 2010 21:00:53 +0100, "john hamilton"
wrote:

Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles and
metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all the
wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

No. A grinder will more likely start the wood on fire than cut it. There is
good reason you don't find wood "blades" for an angle grinder. It's
absolutely the wrong tool for the job.

Tell that to Arbortech and King Arthur Tools. They sell carbide
carving discs and rotary chain saw heads for angle grinders. g

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the place)
so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too hefty and
vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. Grateful for any suggestions on
the best type of circular disc to go for. Thanks.

A circular saw will work fine. Be careful with nails, though. A circular saw
will cut them (as long as you don't care about the blade) but it might throw
them too. Wear *lots* of protection. A "Sawsall" (reciprocating saw) is a
better tool for the job, though.

Yeah, carbide circular saw or demolition-bladed sawzall are the way to
go.

--
Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change.
-- Andre Gide