Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Default Angle grinder for cutting wood

aemeijers wrote:

john hamilton wrote:
Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole
diameter 22mm). The discs i've already got for it are for grinding tiles
and metal.

Having knocked down a very old cedar garden shed, I want to cut up all
the wood. I'm wondering if i buy one of the diamond discs available for
it,
whether that would be reasonably ok for cutting wood with? I cannot find
any discs that are said to be specifially for wood for this type of angle
grinder.

Some of the shed cladding wood is very thin (with nails all over the
place) so i think the usual circular saw for wood would be a bit too
hefty and
vigourous on this thin wood of the shed. Grateful for any suggestions
on
the best type of circular disc to go for. Thanks.

I see by your message headers you seem to be in the UK. Here in the
states we have something called 'Harbor Freight' that sells low-end
(mainly Chinese) power tools at very low prices. They aren't any good
for fine woodworking, but for something like this they would be more
than adequate. Search online, in your local phone book, or in the
second-tier shopping centers near where you live. Odds are there is
something like that over there. What you need is a reciprocating saw
with a demolition blade. It is one long blade (not two, like the other
post implied), that goes back and forth like a handsaw. It would make
short work of your pile of salvage lumber. You are trying to salvage it,
right? If this is just for burning, a plain axe will do what you need,
or even a plain handsaw.

The reciprocating saw likely would have made the demolition process a
lot less painful, as well. I only use mine once a year or so, but for
certain jobs, it is a lifesaver.

What he said. I had to replace my evaporative cooler and got a
reciprocating saw to cut up the old one. I looked at Harbor Freight and
decided that going with a good Milwaukee Sawzall was going to be more cost
effective in the long run. It doesn't cut pretty, but it is quick and
effective at reducing large pieces of junk to small pieces of junk.

Rob Leatham