Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Converting your angle grinder to a bench grinder

I am NOT going to try this!:
http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
I am NOT going to try this!:
http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

OMG!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:59:18 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

I am NOT going to try this!:
http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

Just 1 fastening point! Needs a strap over t'other end - then some one else
to use it.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC writes:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:59:18 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

I am NOT going to try this!:
http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

Just 1 fastening point!

I noticed that.

Needs a strap over t'other end - then some one else to use it.

I dunno. With the addition of a fence and wearing a full suit of
ballistic armour, it might be fairly safe...
--
Jón Fairbairn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 July, 03:59, Matty F wrote:
I am NOT going to try this!:http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

I'd rate it as a lot safer than the old '60s - '70s trick of making a
bench saw by inverting a hand-held circular.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Andy Dingley writes
On 29 July, 03:59, Matty F wrote:
I am NOT going to try this!:http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

I'd rate it as a lot safer than the old '60s - '70s trick of making a
bench saw by inverting a hand-held circular.

Perhaps.

I don't remember a riving knife on my B+D attachment.

Inadequate mountings aside, this thing has far superior drag and trap
issues. I suppose a work rest above the spindle axis might save some of
his fingers.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 29 July, 03:59, Matty F wrote:
I am NOT going to try this!:http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

I'd rate it as a lot safer than the old '60s - '70s trick of making a
bench saw by inverting a hand-held circular.

What about the 70's trick of making a circular saw by sticking a blade in
your electric drill!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Fairbairn coughed up some electrons that declared:

PeterC writes:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:59:18 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

I am NOT going to try this!:
http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

Just 1 fastening point!

I noticed that.

That would be the weak point IMO.

Needs a strap over t'other end - then some one else to use it.

I dunno. With the addition of a fence and wearing a full suit of
ballistic armour, it might be fairly safe...

Let's get this in perspective - this is a tool that you normally hold (some
people one handed).

The weakness above AFAICS:

a) The single point mounting - if that tool rotates the blade is going to
snare on the side of the slot and probably break.

b) Unlike when holding the tool, the operator is potentially exposed to the
disc edge - ie if the disc shatters, he will get bits of it in the face.
That could be solved by working from behind or from the side.

I'm not saying it's a good idea as stands - but let's be objective here
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:12:34 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:

On 29 July, 03:59, Matty F wrote:
I am NOT going to try this!:http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

I'd rate it as a lot safer than the old '60s - '70s trick of making a
bench saw by inverting a hand-held circular.

I have actually done that, once, and still have the hands to show for it

(ISTR I needed to trim some already-thin strips down by a 1/4" or so,
and didn't have anything more useful handy at the time - so I flipped the
saw over, rigged up a jig on the base, and then fed the strips through)

Not so sure about that grinder - whichever way it's turning it looks like
it's prone to either throwing the workpiece against the shield or jamming
it against the table, neither of which seem like a Good Thing - if it were
a little higher with some clearance under the disc (and strapped/bolted
down at the rear as someone mentioned!) then it might not be so bad (apart
from the insanely high speed issue :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

I am NOT going to try this!:
http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

Why would anyone want to do that, when bench grinders are currently on
the "bloody hell can they get any cheaper?" list. Last time I looked at
buying a bench grinder they cost less than a Kg of cheese.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S writes:
Let's get this in perspective - this is a tool that you normally hold (some
people one handed).

The weakness above AFAICS:

a) The single point mounting - if that tool rotates the blade is going to
snare on the side of the slot and probably break.

b) Unlike when holding the tool, the operator is potentially exposed to the
disc edge - ie if the disc shatters, he will get bits of it in the face.
That could be solved by working from behind or from the side.

I'm not saying it's a good idea as stands - but let's be objective here

I wonder how long it takes to set light to a tupperware box
as you fill it with red-hot metal filings ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wibbled:

In article ,
Tim S writes:
Let's get this in perspective - this is a tool that you normally hold
(some people one handed).

The weakness above AFAICS:

a) The single point mounting - if that tool rotates the blade is going to
snare on the side of the slot and probably break.

b) Unlike when holding the tool, the operator is potentially exposed to
the disc edge - ie if the disc shatters, he will get bits of it in the
face. That could be solved by working from behind or from the side.

I'm not saying it's a good idea as stands - but let's be objective here

I wonder how long it takes to set light to a tupperware box
as you fill it with red-hot metal filings ;-)

That sounds like an excellent objective :_0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
I am NOT going to try this!:
http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

What's the point, when you can buy bench grinders for less than £20 ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 29, 11:59*am, Jules
wrote:

I'd rate it as a lot safer than the old '60s - '70s trick of making a
bench saw by inverting a hand-held circular.

I have actually done that, once, and still have the hands to show for it

I managed earlier this year accidentally to convert a 9" angle
grinder into a surgical tool. Three months later my stitched-up
tendons were more-or-less healed and I could use the hand, but it's
still got no strength in it. Personally I wouldn't fart about with
angle grinders ;-)

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F writes

I am NOT going to try this!:
http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

A few years back, some old chap made himself a bench grinder. The RPM
were excessive and the grinding wheel burst on the first run. The
police initially thought he had been the victim of some explosive
device.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 30, 9:14*pm, "
wrote:
Matty F writes

I am NOT going to try this!:
http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

A few years back, some old chap made himself a bench grinder. The RPM
were excessive and the grinding wheel burst on the first run. The
police initially thought he had been the *victim of some explosive
device.

That web page omits one essential move that would actually make it to
some extent sanely usable: run the grinder off 24v (or thereabouts).

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
On Jul 29, 11:59 am, Jules
wrote:

I'd rate it as a lot safer than the old '60s - '70s trick of making
a bench saw by inverting a hand-held circular.

I have actually done that, once, and still have the hands to show
for it

I managed earlier this year accidentally to convert a 9" angle
grinder into a surgical tool. Three months later my stitched-up
tendons were more-or-less healed and I could use the hand, but it's
still got no strength in it. Personally I wouldn't fart about with
angle grinders ;-)

Did similar two years ago with a 4" grinder, sweat shirt I was wearing
jammed the disc & stopped the machine, but not before it took a lump out of
my inner forearm. Still got the scar.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 31, 9:22 am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:
On Jul 29, 11:59 am, Jules
wrote:

I'd rate it as a lot safer than the old '60s - '70s trick of making
a bench saw by inverting a hand-held circular.

I have actually done that, once, and still have the hands to show
for it

I managed earlier this year accidentally to convert a 9" angle
grinder into a surgical tool. Three months later my stitched-up
tendons were more-or-less healed and I could use the hand, but it's
still got no strength in it. Personally I wouldn't fart about with
angle grinders ;-)

Did similar two years ago with a 4" grinder, sweat shirt I was wearing
jammed the disc & stopped the machine, but not before it took a lump out of
my inner forearm. Still got the scar.

I've been using a cut off disk in my Skilsaw for years to cut
reinforcing steel and steel plate up to 4mm. My boss thought this was
dangerous. Is he wrong? An experienced engineer thought it was OK. I
was wearing safety glasses, earmuffs and leather gloves. There's a
metal guard around the disk and the work was securely clamped with 4
clamps on a metal table..

Angle grinder. Bill UK diy 2 July 2nd 09 10:53 AM
Angle Grinder! The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 March 13th 08 04:43 PM
Which angle grinder? JoeJoe UK diy 11 July 4th 07 07:40 PM
Angle Grinder use bhads UK diy 3 August 7th 05 03:27 PM
Angle Grinder... tony sayer UK diy 13 August 10th 04 02:54 AM