Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which angle grinder?

Looking for one to cut a few (not many) relatively thin concrete slabs.
Never used or owned one before, so don't know what to look for. I thought
that a 4.5" would be ok (will it?), and just buy a big pack of stone cutting
disks from Screwfix - they look cheap enough.

The ones below seem ok to me. Any recommendation? I suspect that once this
job is done I will not be using it for more than a couple of times a year.

Any tip will be much appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 14:00:58 +0100, "JoeJoe" said:

Looking for one to cut a few (not many) relatively thin concrete slabs.
Never used or owned one before, so don't know what to look for. I thought
that a 4.5" would be ok (will it?), and just buy a big pack of stone cutting
disks from Screwfix - they look cheap enough.

The ones below seem ok to me. Any recommendation? I suspect that once this
job is done I will not be using it for more than a couple of times a year.

Any tip will be much appreciated.

Either the Bosch or the DeWalt would be good in this small size. I
have something similar to the Bosch one and it has been fine.

However, I don't think that this is going to have enough cutting depth
for paving slabs - even thin ones, and will struggle anyway.

Really you need a 230mm one.

I researched these because I had a need for one a few months ago.
Bosch and Metabo had the best reviews and the antivibration handles
make a big difference in use.

In the end I settled on the Metabo because it came with a couple of
good quality cutting disks. Prices were about the same at around £79
at the time. I got mine from Lawson HIS because of best price but
it does vary.

If you feel that your usage rate doesn't make this worth it, then I
would look at the rental places - cost is about £12 a day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall wrote:

If you feel that your usage rate doesn't make this worth it, then I
would look at the rental places - cost is about £12 a day.

For occasional use, you can buy a cheap one that will do the job for
what it will cost to rent one.

For stone cutting make sure you have a good mask and goggles as it can
make one hell of a mess, depending on the stone.

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 3, 4:18 pm, Geoff wrote:

For stone cutting make sure you have a good mask and goggles as it can
make one hell of a mess, depending on the stone.

An watch out for the kick-back. It can take your leg off!!!

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 16:18:28 +0100, Geoff said:

In article , Andy Hall wrote:

If you feel that your usage rate doesn't make this worth it, then I
would look at the rental places - cost is about £12 a day.

For occasional use, you can buy a cheap one that will do the job for
what it will cost to rent one.

230mm? 2000W? £12?

For stone cutting make sure you have a good mask and goggles as it can
make one hell of a mess, depending on the stone.

... and gloves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 16:18:28 +0100, Geoff said:

In article , Andy Hall wrote:

If you feel that your usage rate doesn't make this worth it, then I
would look at the rental places - cost is about £12 a day.

For occasional use, you can buy a cheap one that will do the job for
what it will cost to rent one.

230mm? 2000W? £12?

OP IIRC only wanted to cut a thin stone so a 4" would do.

For stone cutting make sure you have a good mask and goggles as it can
make one hell of a mess, depending on the stone.

.. and gloves.

Only needed if putting a 9" disk in a 4" grinder :-))

--

Cheers, Geoff.
www.anoraks.uk.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Looking for one to cut a few (not many) relatively thin concrete slabs.
Never used or owned one before, so don't know what to look for. I thought
that a 4.5" would be ok (will it?), and just buy a big pack of stone cutting
disks from Screwfix - they look cheap enough.

Forget the stone cutting discs and go for a diamond blade. Faster cut,
less dust, and one will cut hundreds of slabs. With a big slab and
ordinary abrasive disks you may need more that one per slab!

Everything you need to know on cutting slabs:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/cut_in01.htm

(you can get diamond discs from eBay for peanuts)

About angle grinders:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/anglegrinder.htm

and about discs for them:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Grinder_Discs

The ones below seem ok to me. Any recommendation? I suspect that once this
job is done I will not be using it for more than a couple of times a year.

With thin slabs you may be able to use a small grinder by making a
partial cut and then snapping the slab. If you want to make a full cut
(which sometimes you need to do on corners or notches etc) then a 230mm
machine is required.

If you want a "one off" tool, then even one of the cheapies will do
(although avoid the lowest of the low like Kinso (google this group to
see why!)). A £15 quid machine will see out 20 slabs.

Yup, lovely machine at the price, will last a lifetime... Nice
ergonomics as well, easy to use single handed when required. Will
survive being chocked up with masonry dust much better than the budget
tools.

Not much going for it compared to the above.

Fine, but again pricey compared to the Bosch. As a rule I would say
Bosch have the edge on grinders (over DeWalt) anyway.

Any tip will be much appreciated.

Treat with respect - they can bite! Use a mask and face shield (the
visor type is good), plus ear defenders.

If you use a 230mm grinder then spend a bit more a slightly better
machine and hang on tight. I have had many years faithful service from a
2kW Hitachi grinder that came with a diamond disc. Cost about £75 IIRC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-03 16:18:28 +0100, Geoff said:

In article , Andy Hall wrote:

If you feel that your usage rate doesn't make this worth it, then I
would look at the rental places - cost is about £12 a day.

For occasional use, you can buy a cheap one that will do the job for
what it will cost to rent one.

230mm? 2000W? £12?

OP IIRC only wanted to cut a thin stone so a 4" would do.

How thin is thin though....

Ordinary paving slabs? I believe they are too thick. Plus a £12
angle grinder? It would be an idea to add a fire extinguisher to the
list

Floor tiles? Not really the right tool

For stone cutting make sure you have a good mask and goggles as it can
make one hell of a mess, depending on the stone.

.. and gloves.

Only needed if putting a 9" disk in a 4" grinder :-))

That would be a challenge....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
Looking for one to cut a few (not many) relatively thin concrete slabs.
Never used or owned one before, so don't know what to look for. I thought
that a 4.5" would be ok (will it?), and just buy a big pack of stone
cutting disks from Screwfix - they look cheap enough.

The ones below seem ok to me. Any recommendation? I suspect that once this
job is done I will not be using it for more than a couple of times a year.

Any tip will be much appreciated.

Thanks all for the advice. Just ordered a Ryobi 9" + 230mm diamond disc from
toolstation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
Looking for one to cut a few (not many) relatively thin concrete slabs.
Never used or owned one before, so don't know what to look for. I thought
that a 4.5" would be ok (will it?), and just buy a big pack of stone
cutting disks from Screwfix - they look cheap enough.

The ones below seem ok to me. Any recommendation? I suspect that once this
job is done I will not be using it for more than a couple of times a year.

Any tip will be much appreciated.

Thanks all for the advice. Just ordered a Ryobi 9" + 230mm diamond disc from
toolstation.

Good luck with it. I found slab cutting surprisingly easy with a
grinder. There's little danger of kick back because the material you're
cutting is rigid and the cut can't close up as it might with wood.
Following a line can be tricky, and it pays to set up some kind of base
to rest the slabs on. I used a couple of lengths of 4" x 4" with a bag
of sand for the offcut to fall on. Dust is the main problem. Warn the
neighbours not to put the washing out that day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Good luck with it. I found slab cutting surprisingly easy with a
grinder. There's little danger of kick back because the material you're
cutting is rigid and the cut can't close up as it might with wood.
Following a line can be tricky, and it pays to set up some kind of base
to rest the slabs on. I used a couple of lengths of 4" x 4" with a bag
of sand for the offcut to fall on. Dust is the main problem. Warn the
neighbours not to put the washing out that day.

A useful tip I have found is to make the first pass with the grinder
starting at the edge of the slab nearest you, and moving away. That way
the stream of dust from the cut is not obscuring your cut line.

If you need help getting a straight line then an old ali level makes a
suitable straight edge to guide the blade.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Good luck with it. I found slab cutting surprisingly easy with a
grinder. There's little danger of kick back because the material
you're cutting is rigid and the cut can't close up as it might with
wood. Following a line can be tricky, and it pays to set up some kind
of base to rest the slabs on. I used a couple of lengths of 4" x 4"
with a bag of sand for the offcut to fall on. Dust is the main
problem. Warn the neighbours not to put the washing out that day.

A useful tip I have found is to make the first pass with the grinder
starting at the edge of the slab nearest you, and moving away. That way
the stream of dust from the cut is not obscuring your cut line.

If you need help getting a straight line then an old ali level makes a
suitable straight edge to guide the blade.

IIRC I found it slightly difficult to see the cut because of the guard.
Had I been doing a lot I might have worked out a more comfortable
working position

Right Angle Grinder Greg Esres Home Repair 7 March 11th 07 11:54 PM
WTB Angle Grinder Andy Mabbett UK diy 30 February 26th 06 01:36 PM
Angle Grinder FAQ section John Rumm UK diy 10 September 2nd 05 12:09 AM
Angle Grinder use bhads UK diy 3 August 7th 05 03:27 PM
Angle Grinder... tony sayer UK diy 13 August 10th 04 02:54 AM