Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Converting your angle grinder to a bench grinder

On Jul 31, 9:22 am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:
On Jul 29, 11:59 am, Jules
wrote:

I'd rate it as a lot safer than the old '60s - '70s trick of making
a bench saw by inverting a hand-held circular.

I have actually done that, once, and still have the hands to show
for it

I managed earlier this year accidentally to convert a 9" angle
grinder into a surgical tool. Three months later my stitched-up
tendons were more-or-less healed and I could use the hand, but it's
still got no strength in it. Personally I wouldn't fart about with
angle grinders ;-)

Did similar two years ago with a 4" grinder, sweat shirt I was wearing
jammed the disc & stopped the machine, but not before it took a lump out of
my inner forearm. Still got the scar.

I've been using a cut off disk in my Skilsaw for years to cut
reinforcing steel and steel plate up to 4mm. My boss thought this was
dangerous. Is he wrong? An experienced engineer thought it was OK. I
was wearing safety glasses, earmuffs and leather gloves. There's a
metal guard around the disk and the work was securely clamped with 4
clamps on a metal table..