Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Converting your angle grinder to a bench grinder

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:12:34 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:

On 29 July, 03:59, Matty F wrote:
I am NOT going to try this!:http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

I'd rate it as a lot safer than the old '60s - '70s trick of making a
bench saw by inverting a hand-held circular.

I have actually done that, once, and still have the hands to show for it

(ISTR I needed to trim some already-thin strips down by a 1/4" or so,
and didn't have anything more useful handy at the time - so I flipped the
saw over, rigged up a jig on the base, and then fed the strips through)

Not so sure about that grinder - whichever way it's turning it looks like
it's prone to either throwing the workpiece against the shield or jamming
it against the table, neither of which seem like a Good Thing - if it were
a little higher with some clearance under the disc (and strapped/bolted
down at the rear as someone mentioned!) then it might not be so bad (apart
from the insanely high speed issue :-)

cheers

Jules