Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Converting your angle grinder to a bench grinder

Jon Fairbairn coughed up some electrons that declared:

PeterC writes:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:59:18 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

I am NOT going to try this!:
http://www.yb2normal.com/DIYbenchGrinder.html

Just 1 fastening point!

I noticed that.

That would be the weak point IMO.

Needs a strap over t'other end - then some one else to use it.

I dunno. With the addition of a fence and wearing a full suit of
ballistic armour, it might be fairly safe...

Let's get this in perspective - this is a tool that you normally hold (some
people one handed).

The weakness above AFAICS:

a) The single point mounting - if that tool rotates the blade is going to
snare on the side of the slot and probably break.

b) Unlike when holding the tool, the operator is potentially exposed to the
disc edge - ie if the disc shatters, he will get bits of it in the face.
That could be solved by working from behind or from the side.

I'm not saying it's a good idea as stands - but let's be objective here