Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Time to split the group?

Oops - too late.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

it already has. The other half hangs out with Vito.

"Elrond Hubbard" wrote in message
Oops - too late.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Naw.

If the political geniuses and experts that spew their sewage here went
to a real unmoderated political arenas on the web, they would only be
a voice in the crowd trying to be heard above the din.

Here, they can sound off their indignance and be heard as their
politics aren't the focus of this venue. This is like going to a
cooking school and watching people cook. The guy that gets the most
attention is the guy that burns himself or sets his food in fire, not
the guys that are doing what they are supposed to do.

Being a somebody is difficult these days.

Besides, if you notice, the group is already split.

it is the same guys over and over and over and over and over and over

and over and over
and over and over
and over and over
and over and over

that start, participate and grind the political threads on and on.

Those same people only seem to post when they see a political thread,
and rarely offer little advice or experience in woodworking.

How I yearn for the old days (they seem so innocent now...) of the
tearful squabbling over Norm using to many brads, screaming over
anything to do with Home Depot, and the fan boys defending their
favorite tool brand against nay sayers.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

FWIW, I'm on your side. It's easy enough to skip over the threads,
but somedays there aren't any woodworking posts because almost everyone
seemed to have used up their energy arguing about politics instead!

It's also a shame to see yourself on the other side of the fence in a
political
thread with someone you otherwise thought of as a decent human being! : )
Because of this phenomenon, political threads may break down rather than
strengthen (our) community.

Where I work, we try to view the world without political boundaries. The
system only seems
to break down when a participant entity commits some "act of hate" which is
considered by the rest of the whole as "unconscionable", sort of like a
mini-
"United Nations".

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Elrond Hubbard wrote in news:Xns9D486CC7EE649oldshoe@
207.246.207.167:

Oops - too late.

Some time ago, I looked in to whether or not some groups split so the
"familiar spirits" could talk about politics. The only group I found was
rec.games.chess.politics, which was probably more or less influenced by
Bobby Fischer. (I haven't actually read the group, quickly scanned the
charter years ago, so this is just a guess.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2010 2:20 PM, Bill wrote:

FWIW, I'm on your side. It's easy enough to skip over the threads,
but somedays there aren't any woodworking posts because almost everyone
seemed to have used up their energy arguing about politics instead!

Filters are great ... check'em when you don't feel like it, un-check'em
when you do.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

wrote in message
[...]

Norm does *not* use too many brads...

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote

Norm does *not* use too many brads...

I would nver get involved in such a discussion.

Although I hear........................., since theyshut down The New Yankee
Workshop. they had to lay off two guys from the brad factory.

groan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
[...]

And when he does, it is only until the glue dries.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 1:28*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Some time ago, I looked in to whether or not some groups split so the
"familiar spirits" could talk about politics. *The only group I found was
rec.games.chess.politics

You are kidding, right?

Many times I have suggested that the screaming pundits that nest here
take it to

alt.politics

which should be their cup of tea. That newsgroup has been around
forever, and is so radical both ways that it even scares the hell out
of the spammers.

Apparently it scares the hell out of the experts here too, as they
never seem to tire of expulsing their favorite news network's newest
opinions here, not there.

And with the *tiniest* most minuscule bit of effort, one could type in
"political forum" in the Google search bar and easily find HUNDREDS of
groups (moderated and unmoderated) that cater to their own particular
flavor or vitriol.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:09:23 -0700, "LDosser" wrote:

Norm does *not* use too many brads...

And when he does, it is only until the glue dries.

But why didn't they show him pulling them after the glue dried then?

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markem" wrote in message
news
"Joe" wrote in message

. ..

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:09:23 -0700, "LDosser" wrote:

Norm does *not* use too many brads...

And when he does, it is only until the glue dries.

But why didn't they show him pulling them after the glue dried then?

Mark

The same reason they didn't show him 'buying' a tool ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

but galooh on the other hand...
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

[...]

That's not quite the point I was trying to make. They don't want to
discuss politics with the internet at large, they want to discuss them
with the guys here, on this group. I could find no group that had split
so the people on the group could have their own private political
discussions. At least not following the pattern *.something.politics.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2010 2:19 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

That's not quite the point I was trying to make. They don't want to
discuss politics with the internet at large, they want to discuss them
with the guys here, on this group. I could find no group that had split
so the people on the group could have their own private political
discussions. At least not following the pattern *.something.politics.

It's just like the TV or radio, turn the channel/volume button to
whatever suits you at the time.

Simply filtered two noisy threads about a week ago (do turn the filter
off and on to just to read some snide political jewels, and maybe chime
in on occasion) and for the past three days, with the filter on, there
have been eleven nicely populated woodworking threads to read.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2010 2:20 PM, Bill wrote:

Filters are great ... check'em when you don't feel like it, un-check'em
when you do.

I'm reading the posts in IE 8. How do I filter?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2010 9:08 AM, burtwitlin wrote:
On 3/27/2010 2:20 PM, Bill wrote:

Filters are great ... check'em when you don't feel like it, un-check'em
when you do.

I'm reading the posts in IE 8. How do I filter?

First and foremost, grab a real email/newsgroup reader, like
Thunderbird, Eudora, Agent etc ... it will also make your quotes more
accurate.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

snippage

FWIW, I'm on your side. It's easy enough to skip over the threads,
but somedays there aren't any woodworking posts because almost everyone
seemed to have used up their energy arguing about politics instead!

It's also a shame to see yourself on the other side of the fence in a
political
thread with someone you otherwise thought of as a decent human being!
: )
Because of this phenomenon, political threads may break down rather than
strengthen (our) community.

Where I work, we try to view the world without political boundaries. The
system only seems
to break down when a participant entity commits some "act of hate" which
is
considered by the rest of the whole as "unconscionable", sort of like a
mini-
"United Nations".

Bill

These are unprecedented times, the dangers are real... the concerns
legitimate.
Granted this wasn't intended to be a forum for such, but has evolved into an
eclectic group of strong minded people, none of whom shirk the rights of the
1st Amendment.
It is hoped that they all will at least conform to the "OT" preface to their
subject line. If so those uninterested can easily avoid those posts.
I agree that this is primarily a woodworking group (and wouldn't have it any
other way) in truth however, I don't miss the posts about Norms brads!
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
snip

The wreck is a community. In any community there will be conflict.

I've been hanging around here for a few years, and have ****ed off some
people, some people have ****ed me off... That's what filters are for.
I go back and revisit mine from time to time. Turn some off, create
some new ones, you don't have to talk to, or listen to, everybody.

Things erupt from time to time, but over all, in my experience, the
majority of the conversation in this community is about wooddorking.

People come and go, too. I miss JOAT, and Keeter, and Phully, and many
others who have stepped away. But new people keep coming in, which is
sometimes amazing to me in terms of the general trend of usenet.

My $0.02...

Ah, darn... they don't even drop by to say Hi?
sad days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:33:12 -0600, Dave Balderstone
People come and go, too. I miss JOAT, and Keeter, and Phully, and many
others who have stepped away. But new people keep coming in, which is
sometimes amazing to me in terms of the general trend of usenet.

My $0.02...

Nice comment. Certainly worth more that $0.02.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 10:41*am, Elrond Hubbard wrote:
Oops - too late.

Yes. It is time to split the group. The Rational Right, The Rational
Left and a cage for the nutbars, like Tim and Jack...and I think
Larry may be vying for a spot too...

In summation, all those who disagree with me can kiss my ass because I
do not have to drink your water, subscribe to any doctrines that exist
purely to divide the people and I simply do not succumb to
brainwashing.

And yes. I do have friends here, and you know who you are. There isn't
much I would not do for a friend and I have a feeling (as MUCH as
feeling anything is strange to right-wingers) that many feel the same
way.

So, adios you misguided cocksuckers, the rest of you GROUP HUGGGG!!!!

Then... always ask the following question:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...So_Serious.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

LDosser wrote:

Norm does *not* use too many brads...

And when he does, it is only until the glue dries.

But, he uses too much glue....
--
Jack
"I'm not as dumb as you look."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:

The wreck is a community. In any community there will be conflict.

Yes.

I've been hanging around here for a few years, and have ****ed off some
people, some people have ****ed me off... That's what filters are for.
I go back and revisit mine from time to time. Turn some off, create
some new ones, you don't have to talk to, or listen to, everybody.

Things erupt from time to time, but over all, in my experience, the
majority of the conversation in this community is about wooddorking.

Someone bitched about all the off topic stuff before, stating that those
participating in off topic, political crap didn't participate in the
woodworking threads. I went through about 10 days of a particularly
average, angry,off topic, fight fest and listed all the participants.
For the most part, it looked like a who's who of this group.

I've been participating in "newsgroups" since the FidoNet (FightoNet)
days, and it was no different then. Fighto net was moderated and on
topic posts were generally requested, but seldom maintained. Flame
fests broke out on most high traffic groups, and that hasn't changed a
bit in all these years, and I suspect it never will change.

Giant, off topic threads start because people enjoy them. Those that
don't interest you can easily be skipped, manually, or with a filter.
Talking about it will not change anything, other than adding to the off
topic posts....

--
Jack
Got Change: And the Change SUCKS!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2010 8:04 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

I've been participating in "newsgroups" since the FidoNet (FightoNet)
days, and it was no different then. Fighto net was moderated and on
topic posts were generally requested, but seldom maintained. Flame fests
broke out on most high traffic groups, and that hasn't changed a bit in
all these years, and I suspect it never will change.

I ran a Fido node and echo mail relay back in the 80's & 90's.

The political bickering on the wRec is child's play compared to the OS/2
versus Windows war's in the early to mid nineties on FidoNet ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 1:34 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Are you talkin' to me? Cuz if you google my participation here, I
post overwhelmingly *ON TOPIC* - certainly 90% (and likely better) of
my 630 some odd posts are about woodworking questions or answers.

Now, I will admit to being politically aware, active, and to being an
OT poster - but I always mark as OT, and if that ain't enough for you,
screw ya.

And if you don't like political posts, or off-color jokes, or
unvarnished rhetoric, and can't resist opening that message marked OT
that clearly is gonna have you spewing spittle as you type, get yer
ass somewhere else.

Unless, of course, you like it when your blood pressure goes
atmospheric and your undies are all bunched up - which I can tell some
around here do!

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 08:51:21 -0400, the infamous Jack Stein
scrawled the following:

LDosser wrote:

Norm does *not* use too many brads...

And when he does, it is only until the glue dries.

But, he uses too much glue....

Only until he finishes the work. (Then you can see where he smeared
wet glue all over the place with the wet rag.) I prefer to pre-finish
pieces before glueup to prevent that from happening, let alone
showing. Camera flashes make it 10x more noticeable, too.

--
May those who love us, love us;
And may those that don't love us,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:04:54 -0400, the infamous Jack Stein
scrawled the following:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

[...]

One of the nice things about Agent is that you have an Ignore key. The
"I" key is also actuated by the, you guessed it, the BIRD FINGER, for
extra enjoyment by the filterer.

So smile, and _flip off_ those OT posters, boys and girls!

--
May those who love us, love us;
And may those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts;
And if he doesn't turn their hearts,
may he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
--old Gaelic blessing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/31/2010 08:14 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/31/2010 8:04 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

I've been participating in "newsgroups" since the FidoNet (FightoNet)
days, and it was no different then. Fighto net was moderated and on
topic posts were generally requested, but seldom maintained. Flame fests
broke out on most high traffic groups, and that hasn't changed a bit in
all these years, and I suspect it never will change.

I ran a Fido node and echo mail relay back in the 80's & 90's.

I messed around a wee bit with Fido in the eighties, but I didn't let it suck me in too far.

The political bickering on the wRec is child's play compared to the OS/2
versus Windows war's in the early to mid nineties on FidoNet ...

Ah yes, the operating system wars. I lived all through the first part as an outsider, then
came into the IBM OS/2 programming center in 1993 right after the divorce. I can still see
all the OS/2 source code from where I'm sitting. sigh

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

LDosser wrote:

Norm does *not* use too many brads...

And when he does, it is only until the glue dries.

But, he uses too much glue....

Only until he finishes the work. (Then you can see where he smeared
wet glue all over the place with the wet rag.) I prefer to pre-finish
pieces before glueup to prevent that from happening, let alone
showing. Camera flashes make it 10x more noticeable, too.

Or you could use the titebond flourescent glue and a black light.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2010 5:23 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 03/31/2010 08:14 AM, Swingman wrote:

I ran a Fido node and echo mail relay back in the 80's & 90's.

I messed around a wee bit with Fido in the eighties, but I didn't let it
suck me in too far.

The political bickering on the wRec is child's play compared to the OS/2
versus Windows war's in the early to mid nineties on FidoNet ...

Ah yes, the operating system wars. I lived all through the first part as
an outsider, then came into the IBM OS/2 programming center in 1993
right after the divorce. I can still see all the OS/2 source code from
where I'm sitting. sigh

I'll never forget feeling the first time I got a computer to connect to
another computer across town ... on the same level of the very first
time I played a guitar chord against a friends banjo strum ...both
religious experiences that made your hands shake.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 6:59*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Surely the gittar chord was far more satisfying....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 5:59*pm, Swingman wrote:
[...]

"Dueling Banjos"? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 28, 10:21*am, Swingman wrote:
First and foremost, grab a real email/newsgroup reader, like
Thunderbird, Eudora, Agent etc ... it will also make your quotes more
accurate.

Guess that leaves me out. I prefer reading in IE 8. I wish they would
use the OT convention though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

LDosser wrote:

Norm does *not* use too many brads...
And when he does, it is only until the glue dries.

But, he uses too much glue....

Only until he finishes the work. (Then you can see where he smeared
wet glue all over the place with the wet rag.) I prefer to pre-finish
pieces before glueup to prevent that from happening, let alone
showing. Camera flashes make it 10x more noticeable, too.

Personally, I like to make sure my joinery is bad enough that after
glue-up. I have to sand past the glue, past the defects, and deep into
the new patina I'm creating.... Usually works good enough:-)

--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors ===== Government Motors!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

The political bickering on the wRec is child's play compared to the OS/2
versus Windows war's in the early to mid nineties on FidoNet ...

Ah yes, the operating system wars. I lived all through the first part
as an outsider, then came into the IBM OS/2 programming center in 1993
right after the divorce. I can still see all the OS/2 source code from
where I'm sitting. sigh

Yes, I was deeply involved in those wars.(Dr. Debug mostly) If you were
in any way, shape or form involved with coding OS/2, my hats off to you.
Windows still hasn't caught up to what OS/2 was way back when....

--
Jack
OS/2: Windows that worked!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04/01/2010 09:47 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:

The political bickering on the wRec is child's play compared to the OS/2
versus Windows war's in the early to mid nineties on FidoNet ...

Ah yes, the operating system wars. I lived all through the first part
as an outsider, then came into the IBM OS/2 programming center in 1993
right after the divorce. I can still see all the OS/2 source code from
where I'm sitting. sigh

Yes, I was deeply involved in those wars.(Dr. Debug mostly) If you were
in any way, shape or form involved with coding OS/2, my hats off to you.
Windows still hasn't caught up to what OS/2 was way back when....

Yes, there's a wee bit of my code in the operating system here and there, but I worked in
the OS/2 Developer's Toolkit area and most of my contributions were in the development tools
rather than the O/S, and most of those were "Internal Use Only". I wrote the replacement
for Microsoft's "MASM" macro assembler (it was called "ALP"), and that was released in the
Toolkit but it never got much of a foothold. I also have code in the old make utility
(NMAKE), linker (LINK386 and ILINK), and resource compiler (RC). All fun stuff. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Oprah: Thanks for joining us today audience. Our guest today is
Doughboy. Hello, Doughboy. How are you?

DB: Well, not good Oprah. I like to participate on a certain
internet venue and recently I felt like I was disrespected by a mean
man. He reminded me of my first husband, he was awful.

Oprah: What did he do, Doughy? Did he single you out for some
reason?

DB: No...

Oprah: Did he make reference to something you said to make you think
he was talking about you specifically?

DB: Well, no... but I am pretty sure he was!

Oprah: You don't think you are being a bit touchy here, do you?

DB: Well, it is about that time, but still, I think he was actually
thinking of me when he wrote a mean post. I didn't like it one bit.
(Starts to tear up... Oprah mugs for the camera and hand DB a tissue)

Oprah: I need to understand this. He didn't call you out by name,
didn't reference anything in particular that you said, but you think
he may be talking to you? Hmmmm.... why?

DB: I feel like the victim here. Oprah,

I will admit to being politically aware, active, and to being an
OT poster - but I always mark as OT

Oprah: Hmmmm.... OK.....

DB: So I finished reading his whole post (it took three tries because
of the pain it caused me) and I told that meanie

and if that ain't enough for you,
screw ya.

Oprah: Good! Good! You shouldn't be the victim here, even if you
were the one that made yourself one! That's a great response, too.
Very intelligent. We need more like you to stand up and say "we
aren't going to be victims anymore, even if we weren't in the first
place!"

Sometimes you have to take an issue, make it your own and personalize
it order to feel like a victim. It is more difficult when dealing
with global statements, but it can be done.

This is a VERY important step if you are trying to feel bad about
something that was said to a large audience that didn't mention you by
name or anything you said.

Since you made it your issue you can respond personally to an
individual (even if it wasn't aimed specifically at you) to an issue
in a self righteous manner without feeling like an idiot.

You know Dough, sometimes I want to tell people to go **** themselves,
but I might lose a sponsor.

DB: I wish I was a strong and smart as you Oprah.

Oprah: Not many are, honey. I just have a quick question to clarify
this for me. Are you sure you were the intended target of his gibes?

DB: I can't really be sure since he never referenced me personally.
Nor anything I have ever said. But a lot of what he said fit me so
well, who else could he be talking about? It has to be me! That's
why I said that mean thing back, I wasn't sure it was, not positively
anyway, but I had to do something in case it was.

Oprah: Well Doughy, if the shoe fits, I dunno... I guess you might
think ummm... errrr....

DB: (Now in tears) You don't understand Oprah. All I want to do is
to say what I want about whatever I want when I want. I know that
internet venue has a theme, but I don't think I should have to pay
attention to it....
I don't care what anyone else thinks.

If they get upset by what I say, then they should do a bad thing to
themselves too!

Oprah: And if someone posts something YOU don't like, even if it
wasn't pointed specifically at you?

DB: I can't stand it!! Well, as I told you, I told this mister to go
**** himself. Not really I guess, I get shy on the internet and
didn't want to post the "F" bomb. But "screw yourself" really is the
weasel way of saying "**** yourself". It just sounds nicer. You know
it kinda makes me sound like I have class.

Oprah: I don't know Dough. It sounds like you should go home, light
some candles, have a nice, long a bubble bath. It always helps me.
That, and a little Barry Manilow.

DB: Thanks, Oprah. You are probably right.

Oprah smiles. Another one saved.

Oprah: We'll be right back after a word from Vagisil for men. If you
have sand in your mangina, there's nothing finer than Vagisil.

Fade to commercial....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 00:16:00 -0700 (PDT), the infamous
" scrawled the
following:

Fade to commercial....

My mangina is smiling.

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive to change.