Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

"Robert Montgomery" wrote in message
Lee Michaels wrote:

Just buy a baby (pancake) compressor,

Are pancakes better than hotdogs?

Frozen North here recommended the Senco PC0973 Upholstery Compressor Combo
Kit, which comes with a one-gallon, one-half horsepower, hotdog compressor
(http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC0973-U...dp/B0002PS87U).

How does that hotdog compare to the Campbell Hausfeld FP2028 1-Gallon
Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor With Accessory kit that Ed recommended
(http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf...ref=pd_cp_hi_3
)?

Robert

Senco has a very good reputation.

The differences are in output. The Senco is a bit higher, about .75 cfm as
opposed to the .39 of the CH model. More money = more capacity. The
higher the output, the shorter the run time to build air pressure. I don't
know the corresponding noise levels though. Either one will suit your
needs, the more expensive on will do so a little faster.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robert Montgomery" wrote in message
Lee Michaels wrote:
"Robert Montgomery" wrote
How noisy is it when it's running but not filling with air?

There is no noise associated with the spare tank. Only with the stapler.
If you were only going to do this some of the time, why don't you just go
to those air filling stations for the tires. You can then bring the tank
home and staple with that.

You are not building houses or cabinets. Your needs are very modest. That
is what some of the guys who air brush do, they just fill a tank and use
that.

Same thing here. It doesn't take that much air to drive a staple. Unless
you are going into commercial production, a little air will go a long
way.

How much do spare tanks weigh? I don't have a car so I'd have to carry the
tank four blocks to the nearest gas station and then back home. I have a
bad back. Just today I had a chiropractic adjustment. I was in a car
accident 15 years ago, which has necessitated 200 medical appointments and
my back has been in constant pain for the last 15 years.

How does the whole thing work? You carry the tank to a gas station, fill
the tank there, bring it home and hook up the gun to the tank and bypass
the compressor? So I wouldn't need a compressor?

I might stretch a canvas every couple of days if they sell well. Some of
them could be as long as six feet and as wide as a foot and-a-half. A
40-inch-long by 18-inch-high canvas requires about a hundred staples, so
that would mean firing 300 or 400 staples per week.

Robert

Hmm. You're beginning to sound as if you've made up your mind.
You're probably right , Robert.
Ain't no way you're going to find the ideal solution.
Electric staplers aren't strong enough.
Air staplers are too expensive.
Compressors are too noisy.
Air tanks are too heavy and a nuisance to take to get filled.
You should just give up and go to work at MacDonalds.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

I have a 5 gallon tank I use for my air brush. It lets me have several
minutes of run time before I have to take it back over to the compressor
and fill it up.

Thanks, Puckdropper.

I'm curious to know why your compressor alone wouldn't have enough air
to power your airbrush. I airbrushed about 20 years ago, using a little
Badger compressor and there was no cycling; I was able to work
uninterrupted because there was no loss of air pressure from the
compressor. There was a constant, quiet purr from the motor as long as
the compressor was plugged into an outlet. Maybe you're using a big,
more powerful airbrush that requires more air?

It can be a hassle to take it to a gas station and fill
it if you have to every day.

I agree. I think I'd rather buy a compressor and try to get a box made
for it, cover the inside with carpet scraps as suggested and station the
boxed compressor my balcony. (As long as the hose would be at least 15
feet long, because that's how far the hose would have to stretch to
reach my stapling workstation.)

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/10 11:48 AM, Robert Montgomery wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:

[...]

That should work, some cheaper small compressors come with these plastic
slinky type
hoses, I know mine did. FWIW mine is a 6.5 gallon Bostitch kit that
came with a brad
nailer & staple gun. Used that POS hose once, replaced it with a 25`
Paslode hose
and have never looked back.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

I haven't made up my mind. I'm looking at all possibilities. That's also
called brainstorming. Brainstorming means being open to all
possibilities It's also known as "thinking outside the box".

I'll give you an example. When I was researching mounting art prints on
a board, most people I consulted insisted that drymounting is the only
way to go. Drymounting was not a good solution for me because it
requires a large, expensive vaccuum table which I don't have enough
space for, and contracting out the drymounting would not be a good
option because I'd have to rely on an off-site sub-contractor and
frequent trips off-site.

By researching thoroughly and keeping my options open, I found a
suitable alternative: gluing the art prints to Gatorboard (that I
custom-cut form four-by-eight foot Gatorboard sheets) using an art
knife, and gluing the art prints to the board with an archival,
museum-grade acrylic co-polymer adhesive and ordering custom picture
frame from a wholesale picture framer.

Also, I have to research carefully because often people's
recommendations are bad. I went with people's recommendations and so far
they've all been unsuitable. Recommended to me were manual Stanley
Sharpshooter staplers, manual Sears Craftsman Easy-Fire staplers, manual
Arrow JT-21 staplers and Arrow electric lithium-ion. I tried them all
and none of them turned out to be good solutions and I ended up
returning three out of those four staplers. (I'm still using the Arrow
JT-21 manual.)

Being a picky perfectionist has helped me to become a successful artist.
And why should I give up and work at McDonald's? About a million dollars
worth of my art and associated picture framing have sold. Ain't no way
I'm giving up to work at McDonald's! (I will occasionally eat McDonald's
food, though, when I feel like pigging out. :-))

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Montgomery wrote in

Puckdropper wrote:

I have a 5 gallon tank I use for my air brush. It lets me have
several minutes of run time before I have to take it back over to the
compressor and fill it up.

Thanks, Puckdropper.

I'm curious to know why your compressor alone wouldn't have enough air
to power your airbrush. I airbrushed about 20 years ago, using a
little Badger compressor and there was no cycling; I was able to work
uninterrupted because there was no loss of air pressure from the
compressor. There was a constant, quiet purr from the motor as long as
the compressor was plugged into an outlet. Maybe you're using a big,
more powerful airbrush that requires more air?

The air compressor does a fine job running the air brush, but it's
usually in the garage close to the nailers rather than out in the back
building near the air brush.

It can be a hassle to take it to a gas station and fill
it if you have to every day.

I agree. I think I'd rather buy a compressor and try to get a box made
for it, cover the inside with carpet scraps as suggested and station
the boxed compressor my balcony. (As long as the hose would be at
least 15 feet long, because that's how far the hose would have to
stretch to reach my stapling workstation.)

Robert

A 25' coil hose costs about $10 [US] from Lowes, so even if your
compressor comes with a short hose you can simply purchase the one you
want. Almost everything uses the 1/4" connectors (except the really big
stuff), so there's a good chance if you buy something it'll fit.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/10 2:59 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Robert wrote in

Puckdropper wrote:

[...]

You actually like those coil houses (what I called a slinky above).

I always felt it was pulling back on me, so just went with a 25 foot
straight hose, I coil it up and put it on a hook in my shop with the
extension cords at the end of the day.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote in news:holl8p$k6g$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

You actually like those coil houses (what I called a slinky above).

I always felt it was pulling back on me, so just went with a 25 foot
straight hose, I coil it up and put it on a hook in my shop with the
extension cords at the end of the day.

The original one on the compressor would go back to it's 3' length. It
would be the one that pulled back on you. The new one from Lowes has
stretched to about 10' and doesn't pull back very hard at all.

From what little experience I've had with hoses and much more with
extension cords, it seems the coil hose works better for my usage style.
The air compressor stays in one place and the hose is pulled where it's
needed and then the end is returned back to the air compressor. The rest
of the hose follows naturally.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/10 4:01 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in news:holl8p$k6g$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

You actually like those coil houses (what I called a slinky above).

I always felt it was pulling back on me, so just went with a 25 foot
straight hose, I coil it up and put it on a hook in my shop with the
extension cords at the end of the day.

The original one on the compressor would go back to it's 3' length. It
would be the one that pulled back on you. The new one from Lowes has
stretched to about 10' and doesn't pull back very hard at all.

From what little experience I've had with hoses and much more with
extension cords, it seems the coil hose works better for my usage style.
The air compressor stays in one place and the hose is pulled where it's
needed and then the end is returned back to the air compressor. The rest
of the hose follows naturally.

If that new hose works that way, good for you, it all depends upon how you
work of course.

I like to be able to put the nail gun down, expect it to stay there, so
I can come back with the next piece, pick it up and carry on. In the
case of upholstery, which is what started this thread, I can see the
advantage in that as well since you can put the tool down, pull/adjust
the fabric and the tool is still there.

Not trying to argue (enough of that in here lately), just different
stokes, different folks.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Robert Montgomery" wrote
How noisy is it when it's running but not filling with air?

How much do spare tanks weigh?
Robert

Hmm. You're beginning to sound as if you've made up your mind.

If I had made up my mind, I wouldn't continue to ask questions.

Robert

You're probably right , Robert.
Ain't no way you're going to find the ideal solution.
Electric staplers aren't strong enough.
Air staplers are too expensive.
Compressors are too noisy.
Air tanks are too heavy and a nuisance to take to get filled.
You should just give up and go to work at MacDonalds.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Robert Montgomery" wrote
How noisy is it when it's running but not filling with air?

How much do spare tanks weigh? Robert

Hmm. You're beginning to sound as if you've made up your mind.

If I had made up my mind, I wouldn't continue to ask questions.

Robert

If you would like an unbiased opinion: based on what I read, I'd try the
compressor--
maybe with an extra tank. Good luck!

You're probably right , Robert.
Ain't no way you're going to find the ideal solution.
Electric staplers aren't strong enough.
Air staplers are too expensive.
Compressors are too noisy.
Air tanks are too heavy and a nuisance to take to get filled.
You should just give up and go to work at MacDonalds.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:14:11 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery
scrawled the following:

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Robert, if you're a millionaire, why the hell are you renting, and
why quibble over this? Just Do It!

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I didn't even vaguely imply that I'm a millionaire. Quite the opposite;
I'm broke because of the Great Recession, as I've dubbed it, and my
industry has been particularly hard-hit worldwide because I produce
luxury items. That's especially why I need to be careful with purchasing
decisions.

Only people who are naive about running a business would assume that a
farmer, real estate agent, musician, artist - or whatever occupation -
who has been responsible for the sales and spin-off sales (picture
framing in my case) of a million dollars worth of their products is a
millionaire.

You're confusing gross sales with net profit.

And even if I had personally gotten the million dollars – which I didn't
– you're assuming that I still have all of the money I earned, which I
don't.

I also wrote that part of the million dollars was for "associated
picture framing". I didn't get any of that money, and it accounts for
about $750,000 of the million. But the fact the picture framers and
retail art buyers were willing to pay $750,000 for the framing of my art
shows that I created and published shows that I generally know what I'm
doing and that it's an insult to be told that I should give up my career
to work at McDonald's – simply because I'm pointing out drawbacks of
various options and resaearching carefully before deciding what
equipment to buy.

"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein

That attitude implies that there are only blacks and whites, whereas in
fact most issues are various shades of gray. It's a simplistic viewpoint.

Your gross misinterpretation in assuming that I'm a millionaire because
I wrote a million dollars worth of my art – and the picture framing that
went with it - has sold, clearly shows why the attitude "Not always
right, but never uncertain" is foolish, because you haven't considered
all of the various, possible gray areas that can apply to my statement
that a million dollars worth of my products and associated products have
sold.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

In news:Yvwrn.395$Z6.196@edtnps82,
Robert Montgomery spewed forth:
Max wrote:
"Robert Montgomery" wrote in
message news:Pzfrn.187$z%6.139@edtnps83...
Lee Michaels wrote:
"Robert Montgomery" wrote
How noisy is it when it's running but not filling with air?

How much do spare tanks weigh?
Robert

Hmm. You're beginning to sound as if you've made up your mind.

If I had made up my mind, I wouldn't continue to ask questions.

Robert

You're probably right , Robert.
Ain't no way you're going to find the ideal solution.
Electric staplers aren't strong enough.
Air staplers are too expensive.
Compressors are too noisy.
Air tanks are too heavy and a nuisance to take to get filled.
You should just give up and go to work at MacDonalds.

Max

Robert,
Check the pawn shops, you can find some good deals there.
What part of the country are you in? I'll send ya a staple gun.
If your only doing a few frames a week, do them during the day when most
people are at work and you shouldn't have to worry about the noise.
It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to stretch several many frames.
Do you need a wide crown
http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/...e/1700-Series/
or medium/fine wire?
http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/...les/Fine-Wire/

Posted to rec.woodworking

You're confusing gross sales with net profit.

And even if I had personally gotten the million dollars – which I didn't –
you're assuming that I still have all of the money I earned, which I
don't.

You've convinced me even, before I read all this, that you are someone
who will get their money's worth from a compressor. Indeed, it sounds
like you can't afford not to own one (unless you know where you can borrow
one). FWIW, I would get an "oil-free" model. Good luck!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:14:03 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Robert, haven't you heard of Robert Heinlein, the famous science
fiction author? That's his humorous wit. Don't you like it?

OK, you said nothing about selling real estate g but when you said
"my art" I figured it was -your- artistry on top of -your- framing so
-you- were the majority shareholder in its sale. Shame on you for
misleading me, eh? I doubt I was the only one here which was misled.

Ciao!

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
Posted to rec.woodworking

ChairMan wrote:

Do you need a wide crown
http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/...e/1700-Series/
or medium/fine wire?
http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/...les/Fine-Wire/

Thanks, Chairman.

I don't know if I need a wide or medium crown for artist's canvas
stretching. This is one of the things that's been troubling me.

I read somewhere that the wide crowns hold the fabric better.

Sometimes in humid weather the cotton canvas will loosen, requiring the
canvas to be removed from the stretcher bars and re-stretched, but I
don't know if having wide crowns would hold the fabric tightly enough to
reduce the loosening of the canvas.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:14:03 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery
scrawled the following:

Robert, haven't you heard of Robert Heinlein, the famous science
fiction author? That's his humorous wit. Don't you like it?

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-

I see. You didn't put a smiley after the joke, so I didn't know it was a
joke.

I read some of his books when I was young, actually.

Robert M.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Montgomery wrote:
ChairMan wrote:

Do you need a wide crown
http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/...e/1700-Series/

or medium/fine wire?
http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/...les/Fine-Wire/

Thanks, Chairman.

I don't know if I need a wide or medium crown for artist's canvas
stretching. This is one of the things that's been troubling me.

Also I don't know what minimum length of staples to be able to use.

I heard of a picture framer who prefers one-quarter-inch-long tines so
that he can pull the staples out of the wood if they're not seated
properly, but most of the pneumatics I've been recommended have as their
minimum tine-length 3/8ths of an inch.

And somebody in this thread even recommended a gun that shoots staples
that have tines that are a minimum of 3/4ths of an inch, which is at
least double the length that they have to be to shoot staples into
artists' stretcher bars.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
I had a friend who had a volkswagon and he got tired of people ignoring him.
So he went to the junk yard and got an air horn from a big Mack truck.

My brother brought home an electric truck horn once. He was afraid to
hook it up so I touched the wires to the battery of my dad's Traveall.
Just about peed my pants it was so loud. Dropped the dang thing and
both of us just stared at each other.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Robert Montgomery wrote:

So I guess there isn't even one model of electric staple gun on the
whole world that would be suitable for stretching artists' canvas?

If only there were a suitable electric, I could avoid all the hassles
of iimporting from the U.S. to Canada, plus the noise, clutter and
lugging around a heavy compressor in my crowed apartment, building a
box with soundpoofing and maybe even dealing with an extra tank in my
crowded apartment and having the risk of being unhappy with the
equipment, in which case I'd to return it to the store in the U.S.
and pay a 20 percent restocking fee.

Yeahbut look at the cool stuff you'd have! I do agree with you though. For
what you need, I'd be looking at an electric stapler too. I don't use them
so I really can't offer you any advice on brand/model, but your application
should really not pose any great challenge to a decent stapler.

Take a piece of wood that you use for your frames, a bit of canvas, and head
to your nearest Home Depot. Tell the associate in the Hardware department
that you want to try a stapler or two. He'll probably recommend a model or
two from the line up that will work best for your needs, and you can compare
them. Take the one you like the best up to the cash registers, and consider
that a job well done.

I thought that sounded like a good idea, so I called the nearest Home
Depot and asked if I could test some the staple guns with a compressor
while in the store. The salesman told me the closest one they have to
what I need is a Paslode 3/8ths inch, 22 gauge model that weighs three
pounds.

He said he doesn't think they have anything lighter. Three pounds is too
heavy for me to hold up in the air and shoot horizontally. (I can't
rest the gun on the wood and shoot down, so I want a lighter one.)

Maybe I'll import the Senco combo package instead. They don't have any
locally.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:48:59 -0600, the infamous "Max"
scrawled the following:

ChairMan wrote:

Do you need a wide crown
http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/...e/1700-Series/
or medium/fine wire?
http://www.itwindfast.com/fasteners/...les/Fine-Wire/

Thanks, Chairman.

I don't know if I need a wide or medium crown for artist's canvas
stretching. This is one of the things that's been troubling me.

I read somewhere that the wide crowns hold the fabric better.

Sometimes in humid weather the cotton canvas will loosen, requiring the
canvas to be removed from the stretcher bars and re-stretched, but I don't
know if having wide crowns would hold the fabric tightly enough to reduce
the loosening of the canvas.

Robert

He's baaack!!

I can see now that it's a true million dollar troll, can't you? sigh
Now engaging th' twit filter, Cap'n!

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
FWIW, I would get an "oil-free" model. Good luck!

Bill

Why oil-free? Someone wrote that oil-free models tend to be louder than
oil models, and I want to get one that's a s quiet as possible.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

ChairMan wrote:

[...]

I'm trying to learn and make the best choices.

Why are you and Max ridiculing me and calling me an impostor?

I haven't written anything to imply that I'm an impostor.

Why should I not delve deeply, when I get stupid advice like that I
should use a stapler whose minimum staple length is three-quarters of an
inch long? I got that advice in this thread I've never heard of anyone
shooting such long staples into artists' canvas. They would be almost
impossible to extract from the wood.

AResearch takes time. It takes time especially when people make stupid
assumptions, such as assuming that someone with a million dollars wroth
of sales is a millionaire. Of course, people who make stupid assumptions
like that are going to make stupid assumptions about staple guns, air
compressors and air tanks as well, so I'm just being careful to try to
communicate clearly and make the right choices. There's nothing wrong
with that.

I've followed the advice of many other people in other newsgroups, as
well and much of it turned out to be wrong, and as always happens, much
of the advice is conflicting (i.e. buy a tank and compressor, or buy a
compressor only). So the adage applies he "Once bitten, twice shy"
and "Look before you leap". I get the impression that these concepts are
foreign to you and Max; you just blindly leap without knowing what the
hell you're getting into. Problem is, that usually ends up with bad
results.

Since you don't have the patience for in-depth analysis involving a
beginner, it's better simply to not read the thread, instead of reading
it, becoming angry at me and insulting me and making the absurd insult
that I'm a mischief-maker.

I've noticed this bizarre, tiresome phenomenon on other newsgroups too;
every time I delve deeply into a topic, some folks lose patience and
make the crazy assumption that my purpose in writing is to make
mischief. It can take a lot of patience to train beginners. Clearly you
and Max lack that patience. So simply stop reading, and then you won't
get angry and make your silly, paranoid impostor insults! No one's
forcing you to read my letters here.

I already wrote in this thread that I bought four stapler on the
recommendations of other people, and that they all turned out to be bad
choices, yet that message apparently didn't get through to you and Max;
you want me to just buy another one with scant information at hand, and
then have to return that one to the store as well, so that my
frustration is increased and my search continues.

Instead of being a mischief-maker, I'm simply someone who's trying to
research so I can make the best choice. To accuse me of being a
mischief-maker is superficial thinking and implies paranoia as well.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
FWIW, I would get an "oil-free" model. Good luck!

Bill

Why oil-free? Someone wrote that oil-free models tend to be louder than
oil models, and I want to get one that's a s quiet as possible.

Robert

I wasn't aware of the volume difference. I was trying to direct you towards
one which is low in maintenance--the oil models need need to be maintained
much like as an appliance such as a lawnmower. However, I believe the oil
models are less expensive. Hope you'll mention what you end up choosing and
how it works out!

Best,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
FWIW, I would get an "oil-free" model. Good luck!

Bill

Why oil-free? Someone wrote that oil-free models tend to be louder than
oil models, and I want to get one that's a s quiet as possible.

Robert

I wasn't aware of the volume difference. I was trying to direct you
towards
one which is low in maintenance--the oil models need need to be maintained
much like as an appliance such as a lawnmower. However, I believe the oil
models are less expensive. Hope you'll mention what you end up choosing
and
how it works out!

Best,
Bill

Suggestion: Buy a compressor first, then it you decide you want one, buy a
tank later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

He's baaack!!

I can see now that it's a true million dollar troll, can't you? sigh
Now engaging th' twit filter, Cap'n!

--

I'm trying to learn and make the best choices.

Why are you and Max ridiculing me and calling me an impostor?

I haven't written anything to imply that I'm an impostor.

Why should I not delve deeply, when I get stupid advice like that I
should use a stapler whose minimum staple length is three-quarters of an
inch long? I got that advice in this thread I've never heard of anyone
shooting such long staples into artists' canvas. They would be almost
impossible to extract from the wood.

You also made the careless mistake of writing a joke – that wasn't
clearly a joke – in your sig line, without putting a smiley behind it,
thus leaving it open to misinterpretation. "Not always right, but never
uncertain." That example of carelessness also demonstrates why I have to
be careful in the decisions that I make, based on the recommendations of
others. Since you are careless with your signature line, you can be
careless with your advice regarding my equipment and supplies needs as well.

The snide insults I got from you and Max remind me of the immature
bullying of elementary and high school bullies. You've shown impatience,
rudeness and immaturity in dismissing me as a prankster. Grow up!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Bill wrote:

I wasn't aware of the volume difference. I was trying to direct you towards
one which is low in maintenance--the oil models need need to be maintained
much like as an appliance such as a lawnmower. However, I believe the oil
models are less expensive. ...

I'd agree that an oilless will be significantly noisier than a
comparably-sized oiler compressor.

I'd not put much stock on the amount of routine maintenance an oil
compressor will have--it's certainly not using oil in the same way as a
combustion engine and rarely needs any attention.

Cost will depend more on capacity than oil/no-oil I think altho oilless
compressors are smaller and hence less expensive as a general comparison
of types/styles overall.

If noise is an issue, any compressor will make some and there's probably
not a lot of actual difference in level. I think oilless tend to be
more annoying in the noise they do make, however, as well as being loud.
The 5-hp upright (oil, of course) isn't nearly as annoying as the
little 2HP or so Lowe's-special Campbell-Hausfield oilless.

I've not had one of the pancakes of anybody's so can't really compare there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:25:51 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery
scrawled the following:

ChairMan wrote:

[...]

Didn't you imply that you'd had a million dollars worth of sales? And
now you're admitting that you didn't stretch the canvas tightly enough
in the first place to keep it from drooping when there's a bit of
humidity in the air? Sheesh!

Why should I not delve deeply, when I get stupid advice like that I
should use a stapler whose minimum staple length is three-quarters of an
inch long? I got that advice in this thread I've never heard of anyone
shooting such long staples into artists' canvas. They would be almost
impossible to extract from the wood.

I said that stapler _could_ work and that I'd used 1/2" staples in
that model, despite what you read. If you don't want to try it, don't.
But don't just sit there and repeatedly whine about it, Robert.
shrug

AResearch takes time. It takes time especially when people make stupid
assumptions, such as assuming that someone with a million dollars wroth
of sales is a millionaire. Of course, people who make stupid assumptions
like that are going to make stupid assumptions about staple guns, air
compressors and air tanks as well, so I'm just being careful to try to
communicate clearly and make the right choices. There's nothing wrong
with that.

I've followed the advice of many other people in other newsgroups, as
well and much of it turned out to be wrong, and as always happens, much
of the advice is conflicting (i.e. buy a tank and compressor, or buy a
compressor only).

Yeah, different people need different tools for their own situations.
But it sounds like you need to do ALL your research first, before
buying any more tools. Have you called any compressor manufacturers
yet?

So the adage applies he "Once bitten, twice shy"
and "Look before you leap". I get the impression that these concepts are
foreign to you and Max; you just blindly leap without knowing what the
hell you're getting into. Problem is, that usually ends up with bad
results.

Hell, no. I research the -spit- out of most things before investing
money into them. My mama din't raise no foo.

Might I suggest one last thing? Talk to other art framers and see
what they've tried and didn't like, what they use, and why they use
their current tools. I won't post on this subject again.

Since you don't have the patience for in-depth analysis involving a
beginner, it's better simply to not read the thread, instead of reading
it, becoming angry at me and insulting me and making the absurd insult
that I'm a mischief-maker.

A million dollars worth of framing sold and you're still a beginner?
Who could have guessed?

I've noticed this bizarre, tiresome phenomenon on other newsgroups too;
every time I delve deeply into a topic, some folks lose patience and
make the crazy assumption that my purpose in writing is to make
mischief. It can take a lot of patience to train beginners. Clearly you
and Max lack that patience. So simply stop reading, and then you won't
get angry and make your silly, paranoid impostor insults! No one's
forcing you to read my letters here.

That's true. When people add to their list of requirements -after-
requesting info, it gets a bit tedious. And the only reason I'm
seeing this is that I forgot to twit filter you like I was going to.
But you've got to remember that you are requesting favors of people
and, especially if you cop an attitude, their patience may not last
through an extended learning curve (such as I'm seeing with you.)

I already wrote in this thread that I bought four stapler on the
recommendations of other people, and that they all turned out to be bad
choices, yet that message apparently didn't get through to you and Max;
you want me to just buy another one with scant information at hand, and
then have to return that one to the store as well, so that my
frustration is increased and my search continues.

Oh, come on. I made several suggestions and you blew 'em off. That's
fine. Do as you like, but don't whine.

Instead of being a mischief-maker, I'm simply someone who's trying to
research so I can make the best choice. To accuse me of being a
mischief-maker is superficial thinking and implies paranoia as well.

Buh bye! I'm off to superficially think paranoid thoughts of other
people.

P.S: Are you limping yet? wink

--
May those who love us, love us;
And may those that don't love us,

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

jpb, Thank you for taking the time to explain some of these things.
Much of my opinion was based on reading a few dozen reviews at Amazon,
Sears, and other places. I would value "less annoying noise" and am
glad to learn it is an option! : )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

You're just made two more, superficial, false assumptions by not reading
carefully and not thinking carefully. I DID write above that "Sometimes
in humid weather the cotton canvas will loosen, requiring the canvas to
be removed from the stretcher bars and re-stretched," However, I DID NOT
write that any of those canvasses were mine.

Another false assumption you made: I DID NOT write that any of the
million dollars worth of retail sales of art and framing were for
stretched canvasses of mine. So far, the retail value of the stretched
canvasses of mine that have sold, including framing, accounts for only
about $750 of that $1,000,000.

Why should I not delve deeply, when I get stupid advice like that I
should use a stapler whose minimum staple length is three-quarters of an
inch long? I got that advice in this thread I've never heard of anyone
shooting such long staples into artists' canvas. They would be almost
impossible to extract from the wood.

I said that stapler _could_ work and that I'd used 1/2" staples in
that model, despite what you read. If you don't want to try it, don't.
But don't just sit there and repeatedly whine about it, Robert.
shrug

One-half-inch staples is still too long. I read that one picture framer
prefers one-quarter-inch-long staples in case they don't seat properly,
so he can remove them more easily.

And if you're using 1/2" staples in a gun that's designed for 3/4-inch
staples minimum length, that indicates to me that 1/4 inch MIGHT work
for me, but a red flag goes up in my mind because you're using a product
in a way that the manufacturer didn't intend. To state skepticism isn't
'whining'; it's just common sense, and common sense is based on
information gleaned from experience. Experience has taught me that if
someone else bends the rules, I may – or may not – get away with the
same thing, depending on the circumstances.

[...]

I emailed Senco about the noise level of the PC0973 combo package and
got the response that the compressor emits 69 decibels.

So the adage applies he "Once bitten, twice shy"
and "Look before you leap". I get the impression that these concepts are
foreign to you and Max; you just blindly leap without knowing what the
hell you're getting into. Problem is, that usually ends up with bad
results.

Hell, no. I research the -spit- out of most things before investing
money into them.

Then why are you criticizing me for doing the same thing? That's hypocrisy.

My mama din't raise no foo.

If that were true, she would have raised you not to be a hypocrite, to
give people the benefit of doubt, and taught you not to jump to
conclusions. She should also have taught you to be polite.

Might I suggest one last thing? Talk to other art framers and see
what they've tried and didn't like, what they use, and why they use
their current tools.

I'd already done that. Most of them seem to prefer Porter-Cable
pneumatics, which someone wrote here are the loudest.

Since you don't have the patience for in-depth analysis involving a
beginner, it's better simply to not read the thread, instead of reading
it, becoming angry at me and insulting me and making the absurd insult
that I'm a mischief-maker.

A million dollars worth of framing sold and you're still a beginner?
Who could have guessed?

A beginner at canvas art, yes. There are other forms of art besides
canvas. Who could have guessed that you would think superficially again?

I've noticed this bizarre, tiresome phenomenon on other newsgroups too;
every time I delve deeply into a topic, some folks lose patience and
make the crazy assumption that my purpose in writing is to make
mischief. It can take a lot of patience to train beginners. Clearly you
and Max lack that patience. So simply stop reading, and then you won't
get angry and make your silly, paranoid impostor insults! No one's
forcing you to read my letters here.

That's true. When people add to their list of requirements -after-
requesting info, it gets a bit tedious. And the only reason I'm
seeing this is that I forgot to twit filter you like I was going to.
But you've got to remember that you are requesting favors of people
and, especially if you cop an attitude, their patience may not last
through an extended learning curve (such as I'm seeing with you.)

As I wrote above, people who lose patience with me can simply stop
reading what I write. That would be better than people continuing to
read, getting angry about my attention to detail and skepticism, and
then insulting me because of their anger.

And something you should realize that others benefit from threads such
as these; Bill expressed gratitude in this thread because he learned
that oil compressors tend to be louder than oilless.

I already wrote in this thread that I bought four stapler on the
recommendations of other people, and that they all turned out to be bad
choices, yet that message apparently didn't get through to you and Max;
you want me to just buy another one with scant information at hand, and
then have to return that one to the store as well, so that my
frustration is increased and my search continues.

Oh, come on. I made several suggestions and you blew 'em off. That's
fine. Do as you like, but don't whine.

Being a careful shopper isn't whining.

Instead of being a mischief-maker, I'm simply someone who's trying to
research so I can make the best choice. To accuse me of being a
mischief-maker is superficial thinking and implies paranoia as well.

Buh bye! I'm off to superficially think paranoid thoughts of other
people.

Doesn't surprise me.

P.S: Are you limping yet? wink

And on top of your superficial thinking (a.k.a. stupidity) hyprocrisy,
sarcasem and rudeness, you're cruel as well, by making fun of my
handicap (my back injury). So because you're cruel, I can add "low-life"
and "scumbag" and "asshole" to the adjectives that are appropriate for you.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:38:02 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:25:51 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery
scrawled the following:
Instead of being a mischief-maker, I'm simply someone who's trying to
research so I can make the best choice. To accuse me of being a
mischief-maker is superficial thinking and implies paranoia as well.

Buh bye! I'm off to superficially think paranoid thoughts of other
people.

Doesn't surprise me.

P.S: Are you limping yet? wink

And on top of your superficial thinking (a.k.a. stupidity) hyprocrisy,
sarcasem and rudeness, you're cruel as well, by making fun of my
handicap (my back injury). So because you're cruel, I can add "low-life"
and "scumbag" and "asshole" to the adjectives that are appropriate for you.

Robert, you idiot, I see now more than ever that I should have plonked
you when I mentioned it. People take time out of their day to offer
you their advice and you whine about it, repeatedly.

Note the sig line beneath this message and you MAY discern the humor
in my postscript above. It came right after my PS, so you couldn't
miss the meaning, or so I thought. It was the sig you snipped in order
to write your last paragraph. Whadda maroon. Instead, you took it
personally and out of context. Brilliant.

No reply is necessary as you are now firmly in my killfile. plonk

P.S: If you don't thicken your skin on Usenet, you'll continue to be
clueless, continue to distance people, and continue to be unhappy.

--
May those who love us, love us;
And may those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts;
And if he doesn't turn their hearts,
may he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
--old Gaelic blessing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Montgomery ranted

And on top of your superficial thinking (a.k.a. stupidity) hyprocrisy,
sarcasem and rudeness, you're cruel as well, by making fun of my
handicap (my back injury). So because you're cruel, I can add "low-life"
and "scumbag" and "asshole" to the adjectives that are appropriate for
you.

Damn Larry, I had no idea that you were such a *******! LOL

(And he mispelled sarcasm too.)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robert Montgomery" wrote

He's baaack!!

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

And something you should realize that others benefit from threads such as
these; Bill expressed gratitude in this thread because he learned that oil
compressors tend to be louder than oilless.

I thought I learnt that compressors that use oil may make a "less annoying"
sound
then their oil-less compatriots. Now brethren, I think it's time we bow our
heads in silence
and reflection.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:42:03 -0400, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

Robert Montgomery ranted

And on top of your superficial thinking (a.k.a. stupidity) hyprocrisy,
sarcasem and rudeness, you're cruel as well, by making fun of my
handicap (my back injury). So because you're cruel, I can add "low-life"
and "scumbag" and "asshole" to the adjectives that are appropriate for
you.

Damn Larry, I had no idea that you were such a *******! LOL

I'm a bitch, too. Just ask him.

(And he mispelled sarcasm too.)

Send him over. I'll staple his dunce hat to his hollow head.
Y'know, to show him how the 1/2" staples actually do fit and work in
the HF 2-in-1 Stapler/Nailer at 100psi. See? I'm not a bad guy.

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to notbob, Stickman wrote:
If I may, the earplugs are an easy and obvious fix. I believe we want to know
of more quite compressors for the sake of others. A lot of peoples, including
myself, are earshot near household members, even in apartments....as this is
the modern age of affordability.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...un-497344-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 10:30:47 AM UTC-7, Robert Montgomery wrote:
What's a fairly quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun that's
powerful enough to penetrate pine?

What kind of wood? Pine includes 'southern yellow pine' which is
somewhere between white oak and red oak in toughness.
Pine also comes with knots (some of which are very hard).

I tried the Arrow electric lithium-ion battery cordless electric, but
it's very loud and the staples didn't penetrate the wood all the way.

What length of staples? If these are 1/2" long, and penetrated 3/8",
would you consider using shorter staples?

Percussion is the driving principle in staplers, some noise is
intrinsic to the method.

Whirlpool Gold Quiet Partner III is not quiet!!! (dishwasher hum) Chris Hill[_2_] Home Repair 0 June 4th 09 03:23 PM
seeking supplier for small quiet electric pump JOH Home Repair 9 April 24th 08 01:56 PM
Staple Gun for upholstery John UK diy 6 February 4th 08 11:09 PM
Are quiet bathroom fans really quiet or is it my installation? # Fred # Home Repair 11 December 27th 06 04:33 PM
Are quiet bathroom fans really quiet or is it my installation? BobK207 Home Repair 0 December 25th 06 04:21 PM