Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Montgomery Robert Montgomery is offline

Default Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

Max wrote:
"Robert Montgomery" wrote in message
Lee Michaels wrote:
"Robert Montgomery" wrote
How noisy is it when it's running but not filling with air?

There is no noise associated with the spare tank. Only with the
stapler. If you were only going to do this some of the time, why
don't you just go to those air filling stations for the tires. You
can then bring the tank home and staple with that.

You are not building houses or cabinets. Your needs are very modest.
That is what some of the guys who air brush do, they just fill a tank
and use that.

Same thing here. It doesn't take that much air to drive a staple.
Unless you are going into commercial production, a little air will go
a long way.

How much do spare tanks weigh? I don't have a car so I'd have to carry
the tank four blocks to the nearest gas station and then back home. I
have a bad back. Just today I had a chiropractic adjustment. I was in
a car accident 15 years ago, which has necessitated 200 medical
appointments and my back has been in constant pain for the last 15 years.

How does the whole thing work? You carry the tank to a gas station,
fill the tank there, bring it home and hook up the gun to the tank and
bypass the compressor? So I wouldn't need a compressor?

I might stretch a canvas every couple of days if they sell well. Some
of them could be as long as six feet and as wide as a foot and-a-half.
A 40-inch-long by 18-inch-high canvas requires about a hundred
staples, so that would mean firing 300 or 400 staples per week.

Robert

Hmm. You're beginning to sound as if you've made up your mind.
You're probably right , Robert.
Ain't no way you're going to find the ideal solution.
Electric staplers aren't strong enough.
Air staplers are too expensive.
Compressors are too noisy.
Air tanks are too heavy and a nuisance to take to get filled.
You should just give up and go to work at MacDonalds.

Max

I haven't made up my mind. I'm looking at all possibilities. That's also
called brainstorming. Brainstorming means being open to all
possibilities It's also known as "thinking outside the box".

I'll give you an example. When I was researching mounting art prints on
a board, most people I consulted insisted that drymounting is the only
way to go. Drymounting was not a good solution for me because it
requires a large, expensive vaccuum table which I don't have enough
space for, and contracting out the drymounting would not be a good
option because I'd have to rely on an off-site sub-contractor and
frequent trips off-site.

By researching thoroughly and keeping my options open, I found a
suitable alternative: gluing the art prints to Gatorboard (that I
custom-cut form four-by-eight foot Gatorboard sheets) using an art
knife, and gluing the art prints to the board with an archival,
museum-grade acrylic co-polymer adhesive and ordering custom picture
frame from a wholesale picture framer.

Also, I have to research carefully because often people's
recommendations are bad. I went with people's recommendations and so far
they've all been unsuitable. Recommended to me were manual Stanley
Sharpshooter staplers, manual Sears Craftsman Easy-Fire staplers, manual
Arrow JT-21 staplers and Arrow electric lithium-ion. I tried them all
and none of them turned out to be good solutions and I ended up
returning three out of those four staplers. (I'm still using the Arrow
JT-21 manual.)

Being a picky perfectionist has helped me to become a successful artist.
And why should I give up and work at McDonald's? About a million dollars
worth of my art and associated picture framing have sold. Ain't no way
I'm giving up to work at McDonald's! (I will occasionally eat McDonald's
food, though, when I feel like pigging out. :-))

Robert