Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Montgomery Robert Montgomery is offline

Default Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:25:51 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery
scrawled the following:

I don't know if I need a wide or medium crown for artist's canvas
stretching. This is one of the things that's been troubling me.

I read somewhere that the wide crowns hold the fabric better.

Sometimes in humid weather the cotton canvas will loosen, requiring the
canvas to be removed from the stretcher bars and re-stretched, but I don't
know if having wide crowns would hold the fabric tightly enough to reduce
the loosening of the canvas.

Robert
He's baaack!!
I can see now that it's a true million dollar troll, can't you? sigh
Now engaging th' twit filter, Cap'n!

I'm trying to learn and make the best choices.

Why are you and Max ridiculing me and calling me an impostor?

I haven't written anything to imply that I'm an impostor.

Didn't you imply that you'd had a million dollars worth of sales? And
now you're admitting that you didn't stretch the canvas tightly enough
in the first place to keep it from drooping when there's a bit of
humidity in the air? Sheesh!

You're just made two more, superficial, false assumptions by not reading
carefully and not thinking carefully. I DID write above that "Sometimes
in humid weather the cotton canvas will loosen, requiring the canvas to
be removed from the stretcher bars and re-stretched," However, I DID NOT
write that any of those canvasses were mine.

Another false assumption you made: I DID NOT write that any of the
million dollars worth of retail sales of art and framing were for
stretched canvasses of mine. So far, the retail value of the stretched
canvasses of mine that have sold, including framing, accounts for only
about $750 of that $1,000,000.

Why should I not delve deeply, when I get stupid advice like that I
should use a stapler whose minimum staple length is three-quarters of an
inch long? I got that advice in this thread I've never heard of anyone
shooting such long staples into artists' canvas. They would be almost
impossible to extract from the wood.

I said that stapler _could_ work and that I'd used 1/2" staples in
that model, despite what you read. If you don't want to try it, don't.
But don't just sit there and repeatedly whine about it, Robert.
shrug

One-half-inch staples is still too long. I read that one picture framer
prefers one-quarter-inch-long staples in case they don't seat properly,
so he can remove them more easily.

And if you're using 1/2" staples in a gun that's designed for 3/4-inch
staples minimum length, that indicates to me that 1/4 inch MIGHT work
for me, but a red flag goes up in my mind because you're using a product
in a way that the manufacturer didn't intend. To state skepticism isn't
'whining'; it's just common sense, and common sense is based on
information gleaned from experience. Experience has taught me that if
someone else bends the rules, I may – or may not – get away with the
same thing, depending on the circumstances.

Research takes time. It takes time especially when people make stupid
assumptions, such as assuming that someone with a million dollars wroth
of sales is a millionaire. Of course, people who make stupid assumptions
like that are going to make stupid assumptions about staple guns, air
compressors and air tanks as well, so I'm just being careful to try to
communicate clearly and make the right choices. There's nothing wrong
with that.

I've followed the advice of many other people in other newsgroups, as
well and much of it turned out to be wrong, and as always happens, much
of the advice is conflicting (i.e. buy a tank and compressor, or buy a
compressor only).

Yeah, different people need different tools for their own situations.
But it sounds like you need to do ALL your research first, before
buying any more tools. Have you called any compressor manufacturers
yet?

I emailed Senco about the noise level of the PC0973 combo package and
got the response that the compressor emits 69 decibels.

So the adage applies he "Once bitten, twice shy"
and "Look before you leap". I get the impression that these concepts are
foreign to you and Max; you just blindly leap without knowing what the
hell you're getting into. Problem is, that usually ends up with bad
results.

Hell, no. I research the -spit- out of most things before investing
money into them.

Then why are you criticizing me for doing the same thing? That's hypocrisy.

My mama din't raise no foo.

If that were true, she would have raised you not to be a hypocrite, to
give people the benefit of doubt, and taught you not to jump to
conclusions. She should also have taught you to be polite.

Might I suggest one last thing? Talk to other art framers and see
what they've tried and didn't like, what they use, and why they use
their current tools.

I'd already done that. Most of them seem to prefer Porter-Cable
pneumatics, which someone wrote here are the loudest.

Since you don't have the patience for in-depth analysis involving a
beginner, it's better simply to not read the thread, instead of reading
it, becoming angry at me and insulting me and making the absurd insult
that I'm a mischief-maker.

A million dollars worth of framing sold and you're still a beginner?
Who could have guessed?

A beginner at canvas art, yes. There are other forms of art besides
canvas. Who could have guessed that you would think superficially again?

I've noticed this bizarre, tiresome phenomenon on other newsgroups too;
every time I delve deeply into a topic, some folks lose patience and
make the crazy assumption that my purpose in writing is to make
mischief. It can take a lot of patience to train beginners. Clearly you
and Max lack that patience. So simply stop reading, and then you won't
get angry and make your silly, paranoid impostor insults! No one's
forcing you to read my letters here.

That's true. When people add to their list of requirements -after-
requesting info, it gets a bit tedious. And the only reason I'm
seeing this is that I forgot to twit filter you like I was going to.
But you've got to remember that you are requesting favors of people
and, especially if you cop an attitude, their patience may not last
through an extended learning curve (such as I'm seeing with you.)

As I wrote above, people who lose patience with me can simply stop
reading what I write. That would be better than people continuing to
read, getting angry about my attention to detail and skepticism, and
then insulting me because of their anger.

And something you should realize that others benefit from threads such
as these; Bill expressed gratitude in this thread because he learned
that oil compressors tend to be louder than oilless.

I already wrote in this thread that I bought four stapler on the
recommendations of other people, and that they all turned out to be bad
choices, yet that message apparently didn't get through to you and Max;
you want me to just buy another one with scant information at hand, and
then have to return that one to the store as well, so that my
frustration is increased and my search continues.

Oh, come on. I made several suggestions and you blew 'em off. That's
fine. Do as you like, but don't whine.

Being a careful shopper isn't whining.

Instead of being a mischief-maker, I'm simply someone who's trying to
research so I can make the best choice. To accuse me of being a
mischief-maker is superficial thinking and implies paranoia as well.

Buh bye! I'm off to superficially think paranoid thoughts of other
people.

Doesn't surprise me.

P.S: Are you limping yet? wink

And on top of your superficial thinking (a.k.a. stupidity) hyprocrisy,
sarcasem and rudeness, you're cruel as well, by making fun of my
handicap (my back injury). So because you're cruel, I can add "low-life"
and "scumbag" and "asshole" to the adjectives that are appropriate for you.

Robert