Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Staple Gun for upholstery

We are re-covering a set of dining chairs and I am finding that my cheap
staple gun is struggling to embed staples into the chipboard of the seat
base.

Has anyone a recommendation for a decent budget priced staple gun for this
application?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
We are re-covering a set of dining chairs and I am finding that my cheap
staple gun is struggling to embed staples into the chipboard of the seat
base.

Has anyone a recommendation for a decent budget priced staple gun for this
application?

You'll get the staples/nails at Screwfix.

http://tinyurl.com/2zffn2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
We are re-covering a set of dining chairs and I am finding that my
cheap staple gun is struggling to embed staples into the chipboard of
the seat base.

Has anyone a recommendation for a decent budget priced staple gun for
this application?

decent budget priced is an oxymoron.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
We are re-covering a set of dining chairs and I am finding that my cheap
staple gun is struggling to embed staples into the chipboard of the seat
base.

Has anyone a recommendation for a decent budget priced staple gun for this
application?

Rather than a staple gun, you might try upholstery tacks and a
magnetic-tip tack hammer. Once you get the hang of it, it works well on
difficult stuff like chipboard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
snipped
decent budget priced is an oxymoron.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I know what you mean but high quality may imply:
Withstands continuous usage
Long Life
Robust to mistreatment
Many features

In my case "fitness for purpose" possibly means, " Able to apply staples
into chipboard with 90% reliability, suitable for slow, intermittent usage,
with a life of at least 2,000 staples

I want one for very occasional use on small jobs which is a bit better than
the very cheap plastic one which fails about 50% of the applications into
chipboard.

Just a thought - is an electric one necessarily better - or does it just
save the exertion of pulling a lever? I guess the actual impact done with a
spring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "John" contains these words:

[...]

For a manual stapler get an Arrow T50 -- been around for many decades
and is as good as they come.

If you're looking for something more powerful, air is the way to go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 10:20:32 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

Rather than a staple gun, you might try upholstery tacks and a
magnetic-tip tack hammer.

Tacks (with a tapered shank) work badly on chipboard, as it's too
inelastic. If they work the slightest bit loose in service (and they
will), they fall clean out. Similarly, to a varying extent, with
plywood. For man-made sheetgoods like this you're better with paralllel
shank fasteners, including staples.

To put them in, an Arrow T-50 is still the best thing around, short of
an industrial grade pneumatic.

Upholstery repair. How. PaPaPeng Home Repair 1 July 2nd 07 08:34 PM
Upholstery resources? NoOne N Particular Woodworking 1 May 9th 05 02:36 PM
Upholstery Query Peter J Hemmings UK diy 8 January 26th 05 08:44 PM
Upholstery Cleaning kafkaian UK diy 1 November 30th 04 02:30 PM
Upholstery Stain Protection DG UK diy 4 July 14th 03 09:44 PM