Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are quiet bathroom fans really quiet or is it my installation?

Wife purchased three of the quiet Broan QT080L bathroom exhaust fans with
light and night light. I tested it out on the kitchen table and it was quiet
so then I proceeded with the installation in the downstairs 1/2 bathroom.
The bathroom is down to studs and subfloor with all insulation removed for
remodel. The Broan has a 4" duct connection but the house has 3". Once
everything was connected, the fan wasn't all that quiet. The noise was from
both fan vibration and wind. Its still more quiet than the old noisy fan
but I could hear the new fan from upstairs. The mounting is solid to joist
per instruction and the connection to the 3" duct is tight. I suppose once I
close up the ceiling and walls with insulation it would not be as bad. Are
quiet fans really all that quite? Maybe should have purchased Panasonic fans
instead - its the same price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
Wife purchased three of the quiet Broan QT080L bathroom exhaust fans with
light and night light. I tested it out on the kitchen table and it was quiet
so then I proceeded with the installation in the downstairs 1/2 bathroom.
The bathroom is down to studs and subfloor with all insulation removed for
remodel. The Broan has a 4" duct connection but the house has 3". Once
everything was connected, the fan wasn't all that quiet. The noise was from
both fan vibration and wind. Its still more quiet than the old noisy fan
but I could hear the new fan from upstairs. The mounting is solid to joist
per instruction and the connection to the 3" duct is tight. I suppose once I
close up the ceiling and walls with insulation it would not be as bad. Are
quiet fans really all that quite? Maybe should have purchased Panasonic fans
instead - its the same price.

I was unable to find the specs for the model you metntioned

QT080L

maybe a letter is missing from the model number?

in any case..........one of the design features of the quieter fans is
the use a a larger duct size.

The quiet ones use a 4" duct & the really quiet ones use a 6"
duct....to keep the air velocities & the back pressure on the fan low.

By using the exisitng smaller duct you are negating some of the quiet
fan's benefit.

Addtioning most of the quiet fans have some sort of resiliant mounting
system...does yours have that & is it working?.....hard mounting allows
more sound to be transmitted through the framing.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

My panasonic uses an 8" duct, a little pricey compared to the box store
stuff but very well made. About 150$

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

# Fred # wrote:
Wife purchased three of the quiet Broan QT080L bathroom exhaust fans with
light and night light. I tested it out on the kitchen table and it was quiet
so then I proceeded with the installation in the downstairs 1/2 bathroom.
The bathroom is down to studs and subfloor with all insulation removed for
remodel. The Broan has a 4" duct connection but the house has 3". Once
everything was connected, the fan wasn't all that quiet. The noise was from
both fan vibration and wind. Its still more quiet than the old noisy fan
but I could hear the new fan from upstairs. The mounting is solid to joist
per instruction and the connection to the 3" duct is tight. I suppose once I
close up the ceiling and walls with insulation it would not be as bad. Are
quiet fans really all that quite? Maybe should have purchased Panasonic fans
instead - its the same price.

I expect Bob has already hit on the two prime areas --

Might just try it by disconnecting its outlet from the 3" ductwork
temporarily and see if the noise is reduced. I'm guessing it will be
and to get the benefits of the fan you'll need to install larger duct.
Don't see could go wrong in going to 6" even although probably no
real advantage as the outlet is 4". In doing so, though, avoid the
flexible ribbed wall stuff as the rough surface adds to turbulence
which raises noise. If you absolutely need some for a connection, make
it as short as possible. And, of course, make sure the ductwork is
mounted securely so it doesn't add its own vibration.

If, otoh, what you then hear is actually the fan itself running and not
airflow, I'd look at adding some dampening between it and the joists.
A section of tire sidewall is one of my favorite things to use for such
isolators.

Finally, if you do add insulation or other sound-deadening around it,
be sure to not block any necessary air circulation for cooling of motor
and lights, if any. Don't want a quiet installation to become a fire
hazard!

Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
Wife purchased three of the quiet Broan QT080L bathroom exhaust fans
with light and night light. I tested it out on the kitchen table and
it was quiet so then I proceeded with the installation in the
downstairs 1/2 bathroom. The bathroom is down to studs and subfloor
with all insulation removed for remodel. The Broan has a 4" duct
connection but the house has 3".

I suggest that is your answer. Dropping the size of the exhaust
increases the noise. You also increase the noise the smaller the room. It
sounds louder.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
Wife purchased three of the quiet Broan QT080L bathroom exhaust fans with
light and night light. I tested it out on the kitchen table and it was quiet
so then I proceeded with the installation in the downstairs 1/2 bathroom.
The bathroom is down to studs and subfloor with all insulation removed for
remodel. The Broan has a 4" duct connection but the house has 3". Once
everything was connected, the fan wasn't all that quiet. The noise was from
both fan vibration and wind. Its still more quiet than the old noisy fan
but I could hear the new fan from upstairs. The mounting is solid to joist
per instruction and the connection to the 3" duct is tight. I suppose once I
close up the ceiling and walls with insulation it would not be as bad. Are
quiet fans really all that quite? Maybe should have purchased Panasonic fans
instead - its the same price.

Why would you want a quiet fan? Frankly, I prefer a fan to make a bit of noise
to cover up any other extraneous sounds that may escape.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

# Fred # wrote:
[...]

You are SOOO Bad, MS
Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
Wife purchased three of the quiet Broan QT080L

none of that matters, it all depends on what you are sticking in the
fan

depends on how bad the farts are

you're wife bought the fan? in that case I would say.. this is her way
of telling you how rotten you smell

like.. something crawled up inside you and died jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

# Fred # wrote:
[...]

Sorry, typo on my part: its QTR080L

maybe a letter is missing from the model number?

in any case..........one of the design features of the quieter fans is
the use a a larger duct size.

The quiet ones use a 4" duct & the really quiet ones use a 6"
duct....to keep the air velocities & the back pressure on the fan low.

By using the exisitng smaller duct you are negating some of the quiet
fan's benefit.

Addtioning most of the quiet fans have some sort of resiliant mounting
system...does yours have that & is it working?

No.

The second floor is above this bathroom. The existing 3" duct runs along the
joists and punch out on one of the outside walls. The 3" duct has a 25' run
and its the flexible kind so more air restriction. There are blockings
between the joists and seems not possible to upgrade to 4" ducts without
tearing out the family room ceiling. Bathroom is small so I don't need a lot
of CFM - perhaps I could reduce the motor speed.

......hard mounting allows
more sound to be transmitted through the framing.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
My panasonic uses an 8" duct, a little pricey compared to the box store
stuff but very well made. About 150$

The Broan cost us a little more than that at the local hardware store but in
retrospect the Panasonic may have been a better choice.

Did you upgrade to 8" ducts too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why would you want a quiet fan? Frankly, I prefer a fan to make a bit of noise
to cover up any other extraneous sounds that may escape.

For sure......that loud "PLOP" in the water.........or that loud ECHO
of gas back fire. The louder the fan......the better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wife purchased three of the quiet Broan QT080L bathroom exhaust fans
The Broan has a 4" duct connection but the house has 3".
Once everything was connected, the fan wasn't all that quiet.
The noise was from both fan vibration and wind.
Are quiet fans really all that quiet?
Maybe should have purchased Panasonic fans instead

I am not familiar with the Broan fans, but we installed a few Panasonic
fans in our house. They're the type with the large squirrel cage style
impellers.

The smaller (70cfm) fans are virtually silent in operation. We have one
that runs continously as part of our house ventilation system, and unless
you are standing directly under it and the house is completely silent, you
can't hear them running at all.

We have one larger (110cfm?) Panasonic fan in our master bath, and while it
is louder than the smaller fans, it's only loud enough that you can tell
it's running. It is still MUCH quieter than the fans we had in our previous
house.

In our case, we have 4" ducting. Two fans are close to the exterior walls,
so I have flexible ducting connecting the fan to the wall vent. One of the
fans is in the center of the house, so I installed rigid PVC piping on the
long straight runs to minimize turbulence. It only uses flexible ducting at
each end to connect the fan and wall vents.

Your fan would most likely be quieter in your test because it's not
transmitting sound through the framing, and there's no restriction on the
air flow. Reducing to the smaller duct size will make the fan work harder
and increase noise from the air turbulence. If there's no kind of rubber
isolation in the fan, any vibration will probably transmit through the
ceiling framing and make it sound even louder. Another possibility is you
may have knocked a balance weight out of position or off entirely?

Anthony

quiet inline fans Lawrence Home Repair 0 June 11th 06 01:09 AM
quiet inline fans RBM Home Repair 0 June 10th 06 10:08 PM
it's gone quiet raden UK diy 13 August 30th 05 02:19 PM
Quiet bathroom extractors John Carlyle-Clarke UK diy 7 June 17th 04 12:22 PM