Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

Bill wrote:

I wasn't aware of the volume difference. I was trying to direct you towards
one which is low in maintenance--the oil models need need to be maintained
much like as an appliance such as a lawnmower. However, I believe the oil
models are less expensive. ...

I'd agree that an oilless will be significantly noisier than a
comparably-sized oiler compressor.

I'd not put much stock on the amount of routine maintenance an oil
compressor will have--it's certainly not using oil in the same way as a
combustion engine and rarely needs any attention.

Cost will depend more on capacity than oil/no-oil I think altho oilless
compressors are smaller and hence less expensive as a general comparison
of types/styles overall.

If noise is an issue, any compressor will make some and there's probably
not a lot of actual difference in level. I think oilless tend to be
more annoying in the noise they do make, however, as well as being loud.
The 5-hp upright (oil, of course) isn't nearly as annoying as the
little 2HP or so Lowe's-special Campbell-Hausfield oilless.

I've not had one of the pancakes of anybody's so can't really compare there.