Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Saw Stop - Oregon

On Mar 13, 7:53*pm, "LDosser" wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...wstop_saw_brak...

Some of the comments track remarkably with what has been said here.

This is absolutely frightening. That a small number of lawyers and
liberal courts can make decisions like this.

Also frightening is the comment made by the high school teacher who
has them in his shop.

"Two of them have been in John Stearns' woodshop class at Amity High
School. Stearns applied for grants to pay for two SawStop saws in
2008, which cost $7,400, about three times the price of other brands.
"I would pay twice as much for those saws to keep my kids from losing
their fingers," Stearns said. "Those two kids walked away without a
scratch. That's amazing. I don't know if I would go back to any other
saw."

I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote in news:cf8759ea-40db-46da-a6f0-
:

[...]

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years
ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who
developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not
patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car
manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to
share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by
allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per
unit and still make a nice return on their design.

Just wondering...

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve" wrote
Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years
ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who
developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not
patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car
manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to
share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by
allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per
unit and still make a nice return on their design.

Just wondering...

Steve

I see the problem.

"SawStop asks for licensing fees of 3 percent of the saw's wholesale price
to start. As the device becomes more widespread, the fees could increase to
8 percent. The price of table saws range from $200 to several thousand
dollars."

If he was closer to the 3% than the 8% it may fly, but adding a couple
hundred bucks for the actual hardware and then 8% on top, the saw becomes
uncompetitive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote
I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

RonB

So you think it is better to have a finger or two cut off to keep the kids
attention up?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with
fools."
Herbert Spencer, 1891

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2010 9:51 PM, Steve wrote:

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years
ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who
developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not
patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car
manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to
share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by
allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per
unit and still make a nice return on their design.

Just wondering...

Lawyers are trained to view life as a "zero sum game" - for them there
is no "win-win".

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"RonB" wrote
I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

RonB

So you think it is better to have a finger or two cut off to keep the kids
attention up?

*I* think it's better if the shop teacher does a better job of instruction
and supervision.
He said he would pay twice as much.................
If it's the school's money?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"RonB" wrote
I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

RonB

So you think it is better to have a finger or two cut off to keep the
kids attention up?

*I* think it's better if the shop teacher does a better job of instruction
and supervision.
He said he would pay twice as much.................
If it's the school's money?

Max

It never was "the school's money".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 10:12*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"RonB" wrote

I know his intentions are good. *But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. *It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. *I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

RonB

So you think it is better to have a finger or two cut off to keep the kids
attention up?

No. But I went through two years of high school shop and one college
cabinet course where safety was stressed on a continuous basis. I
never knew of a student who had a serious problem, but I know problems
do happen.

My first few encounters with a Unisaw scared the hell out of me, and I
believe that was a very health emotion at that point of my life. But
if the kid walks up to a machine that he/she knows cannot injure, how
do they learn respect? Frankly, it is difficult enough to teach some
of these kids respect anyway. Some of them will learn when the walk
onto a job site with a conventional machine, then their boss will get
his ass sued off because they did something stupid.

Even worse, they might not learn at all. The budget crunches are
making it difficult enough to keep wood technology in the school's
curriculums. Our school has had a wood-shop since the early 1950's.
The lone remaining, ancient Unisaw is on its last legs (I swear it is
the same one I used in the late 60's). The teacher went to the board
with a proposal to buy a couple of new Grizzly's that would set them
back about $2,300. Guess what? The school counselor advised her to
hold off because, guess what?.... the court cases regarding Saw-Stop.
She said if she has to cough up $6-7K, she is going to have to shut
down the wood shop and go strictly to metal fab and welding. Then they
will be open to litigation when some day-dreaming kid forgets to pull
the hood down and injures his or her eyes.

I just think we should LEARN safety without the government standing
over us. We are becoming so regulated, a damned pocket knife will
cost $3000 one of these days.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve" wrote in message
. 207.165...

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years
ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who
developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not
patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car
manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to
share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by
allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per
unit and still make a nice return on their design.

Nice idea but remember, these are lawyers you're talking about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:48:47 -0800, "LDosser" wrote:

"Max" wrote in message
. ..
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"RonB" wrote
I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

RonB

So you think it is better to have a finger or two cut off to keep the
kids attention up?

*I* think it's better if the shop teacher does a better job of instruction
and supervision.
He said he would pay twice as much.................
If it's the school's money?

Max

It never was "the school's money".

Ain't his either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDosser" wrote:

It never was "the school's money".

Sorry, but as long as you are part of society, membership has a cost
that is paid for by the individual.

A portion of what you pay becomes "the school's money" and is their
income which allows them to function as specified by the board.

It never was an individual's money in the first place.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:51:43 -0800 (PST), the infamous RonB
scrawled the following:

On Mar 13, 7:53*pm, "LDosser" wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...wstop_saw_brak...

Some of the comments track remarkably with what has been said here.

This is absolutely frightening. That a small number of lawyers and
liberal courts can make decisions like this.

Also frightening is the comment made by the high school teacher who
has them in his shop.

"Two of them have been in John Stearns' woodshop class at Amity High
School. Stearns applied for grants to pay for two SawStop saws in
2008, which cost $7,400, about three times the price of other brands.
"I would pay twice as much for those saws to keep my kids from losing
their fingers," Stearns said. "Those two kids walked away without a
scratch. That's amazing. I don't know if I would go back to any other
saw."

They've gone up? They used to be "only" double the price of an
expensive saw. That effin', greedy, ******* attorney. (Yes, I'm being
redundant there.) And that brainless oaf, Stearns, playing right into
the other's hands. Sickening.

I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

All the graduates will get nicknames within 2 years.
'Lefty', 'Stubby', or 'Stumpy', I guess.

--
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study
mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:12:45 -0500, the infamous "Ed Pawlowski"
scrawled the following:

"RonB" wrote
I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

RonB

So you think it is better to have a finger or two cut off to keep the kids
attention up?

If it keeps the rest of the class (and everyone each of them knows)
safer for the rest of all their lives, HELL YES!

Tough love.

P.S: I'm still waiting for one of the punks to say "Oh, this tablesaw
can't hurt me, huh? We'll see about that."

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:20:30 -0700, the infamous "Max"
scrawled the following:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"RonB" wrote
I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

RonB

So you think it is better to have a finger or two cut off to keep the kids
attention up?

*I* think it's better if the shop teacher does a better job of instruction
and supervision.
He said he would pay twice as much.................
If it's the school's money?

What is a (known liberal) teacher supposed to say, Max?

And at double Gass' prices, that's 6x the going rate for a top-notch
saw. After hearing Gass discuss it in that video for the Oregonian, I
see that he couldn't care less about fingers. He's simply going after
(a minimum of) half the difference between the cost of a saw and the
cost of an amputation repair. It's all financial to him.

Typical speaking weasel crap. A pox on all their houses.

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote:

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15
years ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the
ones who developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why
they did not patent the invention and instead shared the technology
with other car manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are
too important not to share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people
could do the same by allowing their technology to be used by others
at a small fixed price per unit and still make a nice return on their
design.

Even before that. Ben Franklin did not patent the lightning rod, the
Franklin stove, bifocals, the vehicle odometer, and, to bring it up to date,
Daylight Savings Time, for exactly the same reason.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
On Mar 13, 7:53 pm, "LDosser" wrote:

snip

"Two of them have been in John Stearns' woodshop class at Amity High
School. Stearns applied for grants to pay for two SawStop saws in
2008, which cost $7,400, about three times the price of other brands.
"I would pay twice as much for those saws to keep my kids from losing
their fingers," Stearns said. "Those two kids walked away without a
scratch. That's amazing. I don't know if I would go back to any other
saw."

I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

I think you are perhaps thinking that knowing that the blade will not cut
your digits off will also not be scary. I highly suspect that the blade
spinning at 100 mph is still going to be intemidating.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve" wrote in message
. 207.165...

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years
ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who
developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not
patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car
manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to
share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by
allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per
unit and still make a nice return on their design.

Just wondering...

Steve

Actually before even attempting to build the SawStop the inventors did
indeed offer the license to the other manufacturers. They of course having
poor insight turnd down the offer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

On the other hand, if you customer base is not buying your product because
it lacks this popular safety feature they also become uncompetitive.
If the unions would bow out and let the manufacturers pay what the skill of
putting together a TS is "actually" worth the company could pay the license
fee and make a profit, probably a larger profit. If your productions costs
are in excess to start with it is also very hard to be competitive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

By the time I got to shop class, I'd injured myself enough with hand tools
to be leery of anything connected to the power grid. Particularly since I'd
also had a couple electric shocks by then also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:44:57 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Steve" wrote
[...]

Choice is a good thing. I have no issue with SawStop making that argument to
consumers. They didn't succeed with their 100% margin over a Unisaw, though.

If the unions would bow out and let the manufacturers pay what the skill of
putting together a TS is "actually" worth the company could pay the license
fee and make a profit, probably a larger profit. If your productions costs
are in excess to start with it is also very hard to be competitive.

OTOH, the unions could force a higher wage and manufacturing might move to
China. Oh, wait.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:05:21 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Steve wrote:

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15
years ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the
ones who developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why
they did not patent the invention and instead shared the technology
with other car manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are
too important not to share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people
could do the same by allowing their technology to be used by others
at a small fixed price per unit and still make a nice return on their
design.

Even before that. Ben Franklin did not patent the lightning rod, the
Franklin stove, bifocals, the vehicle odometer, and, to bring it up to date,
Daylight Savings Time, for exactly the same reason.

Well, there were no patents before 1790. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:41:20 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
.207.165...

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years
ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who
developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not
patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car
manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to
share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by
allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per
unit and still make a nice return on their design.

Just wondering...

Steve

Actually before even attempting to build the SawStop the inventors did
indeed offer the license to the other manufacturers. They of course having
poor insight turnd down the offer.

You mean, having poor insight, they refused to pay their protection so had
their business burned.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 14, 11:39*am, "Leon" wrote:
*I highly suspect that the blade spinning at 100 mph is still going to
be intimidating.

I would like to think so. But remember, we have a lot of high school
shop class aged folks who are not intimidated by driving a 3,500 car
at 65 mph while texting.

RonB.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:41:20 -0500, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Steve" wrote in message
.207.165...

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years
ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who
developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not
patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car
manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to
share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by
allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per
unit and still make a nice return on their design.

Just wondering...

Steve

Actually before even attempting to build the SawStop the inventors did
indeed offer the license to the other manufacturers. They of course having
poor insight turnd down the offer.

Did you see how he wanted to "share" that invention?
Altruistic he AIN'T! MB he AIN'T!

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:25:24 -0700, "CW" wrote:

Less that 15% of US manufacturing is union. This "unions are ruining
manufacturing in this country" line that some like to harp on is just BS.

How's GM working out for ya?

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

If the unions would bow out and let the manufacturers pay what the skill
of putting together a TS is "actually" worth the company could pay the
license fee and make a profit, probably a larger profit. If your
productions costs are in excess to start with it is also very hard to be
competitive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

I think you are perhaps thinking that knowing that the blade will not
cut your digits off will also not be scary. I highly suspect that
the blade spinning at 100 mph is still going to be intemidating.

I agree Leon. The arguement that the saw won't be scarey enough does not
seem to work on me. I've always held - or been taught the idea that one
does not put his confidence in "safety" devices, and assumes that they can
or will fail, leaving you exposed to the original danger. I don't believe
that the shop classes that have installed Saw Stop saws are teaching their
kids that they don't have to worry about anything becasue it's a Saw Stop.
I suspect quite the opposite is true.

Having said that, I don't believe the quoted statistics about the number of
incidents that Saw Stop has prevented.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 7:13*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Leon wrote:

[...]

Don't tell the kids about the safety feature. But of course you can't
yell at the kiddies to get the point across anymore. That would
damage their self esteem.

Having said that, I don't believe the quoted statistics about the number of
incidents that Saw Stop has prevented.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
m...
Less that 15% of US manufacturing is union. This "unions are ruining
manufacturing in this country" line that some like to harp on is just BS.

Unions are ruining this country used to be true 20-30 years ago. Now, they
have actually succeeded to help ruin the economy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:25:24 -0700, "CW" wrote:

Less that 15% of US manufacturing is union. This "unions are ruining
manufacturing in this country" line that some like to harp on is just BS.

How's GM working out for ya?

Ironically, I have a neighbor that has lots of famly in the Michigan area
and for generations have made their living with one of the Big 3. They are
now out of jobs, in rough shape, and have indicated that they have no one to
blame but themselves. They let the Union take care of them all these years
and never really learned how to survive on a wage that their skills were
actually worth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 11:39 am, "Leon" wrote:
I highly suspect that the blade spinning at 100 mph is still going to
be intimidating.

I would like to think so. But remember, we have a lot of high school
shop class aged folks who are not intimidated by driving a 3,500 car
at 65 mph while texting.

But the saw stop technology does not stop kick back which is still a real
thread if the riving knife is not used, like during a dado operation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Having said that, I don't believe the quoted statistics about the number
of incidents that Saw Stop has prevented.

I have not seen the numbers lately but in 1989 I whacked the end of my thumb
off on the TS. It was coasting down to a stop after performing a dado
operation. The ER nurses saw the cut and asked if I did that on a TS. They
also indicated that they pretty much saw this type accident on a daily
basis.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

On Mar 14, 11:41*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

. 207.165...

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years
ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who
developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not
patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car
manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to
share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by
allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per
unit and still make a nice return on their design.

Just wondering...

Steve

Actually before even attempting to build the SawStop the inventors did
indeed offer the license to the other manufacturers. *They of course having
poor insight turnd down the offer.

IIRC, lawyers were at the heart of the decision to turn down the
technology. Paraphrasing: "If you put this technology in some of your
saws, then you are admitting that the rest are inherently
dangerous." What frosted me was that the fine folks at SawStop
tried to use the Consumer Product Safety folks to jam this down our
throats.

Neither side was right; consumers get hosed; typical state of
affairs.

As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread
tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new
cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the
wallet -- just like real life.

hex
-30-
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"hex" wrote

As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread
tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new
cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the
wallet -- just like real life.

hex
-30-

Now there's a worthwhile suggestion.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/15/2010 3:23 PM, Max wrote:
"hex" wrote
As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread
tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new
cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the
wallet -- just like real life.

hex
-30-

Now there's a worthwhile suggestion.

The trouble is it ends up a pain in Daddy's wallet because most kids
don't have that much money that they've earned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 2:44*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
On 3/15/2010 3:23 PM, Max wrote:

"hex" wrote
As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread
tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new
cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the
wallet -- just like real life.

hex
-30-

Now there's a worthwhile suggestion.

The trouble is it ends up a pain in Daddy's wallet because most kids
don't have that much money that they've earned.

Nothing wrong with that. Daddy can then extract his pound...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"RonB" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 11:39 am, "Leon" wrote:
I highly suspect that the blade spinning at 100 mph is still going to
be intimidating.

I would like to think so. But remember, we have a lot of high school
shop class aged folks who are not intimidated by driving a 3,500 car
at 65 mph while texting.

But the saw stop technology does not stop kick back which is still a real
thread if the riving knife is not used, like during a dado operation.

Does the SawStop work at all with a dado blade or dado set?