Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Saw Stop - Oregon

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:54:13 -0700, "LDosser" wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"RonB" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 11:39 am, "Leon" wrote:
I highly suspect that the blade spinning at 100 mph is still going to
be intimidating.

I would like to think so. But remember, we have a lot of high school
shop class aged folks who are not intimidated by driving a 3,500 car
at 65 mph while texting.

But the saw stop technology does not stop kick back which is still a real
thread if the riving knife is not used, like during a dado operation.

Does the SawStop work at all with a dado blade or dado set?

From http://www.sawstop.com/howitworks/sawstop_whitepaper.pdf:

"The brake mechanism is shown in the drawing to the right. The arrow
shows how the aluminum brake pawl pivots into the teeth of the blade.
The brake pawl is part of a replaceable cartridge that includes the
spring, fuse wire and electronics necessary to burn the fuse wire.
An optional dado cartridge provides the same protection for dado
cuts.

I wonder how easy it is to change to the dado blade set and cartridge?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-15 10:48:34 -0400, "Leon" said:

Unions are ruining this country used to be true 20-30 years ago. Now,
they have actually succeeded to help ruin the economy.

Don't forget the big boys.

Here's the smoking gun(s):

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmo...ldman-meeting/
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/rep...-other-banks-a
http://lehmanreport.jenner.com/
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/bu...l?ref=business

Bunch

o' links he
http://www.metafilter.com/90063/Repo-Lehmen

Bottom line: Paulson and Bernanke are stinkers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
news
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:54:13 -0700, "LDosser" wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

From http://www.sawstop.com/howitworks/sawstop_whitepaper.pdf:

"The brake mechanism is shown in the drawing to the right. The arrow
shows how the aluminum brake pawl pivots into the teeth of the blade.
The brake pawl is part of a replaceable cartridge that includes the
spring, fuse wire and electronics necessary to burn the fuse wire.
An optional dado cartridge provides the same protection for dado
cuts.

I wonder how easy it is to change to the dado blade set and cartridge?

I don't suppose they do a wobble blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

news

"Leon" wrote in message

From http://www.sawstop.com/howitworks/sawstop_whitepaper.pdf:

"The brake mechanism is shown in the drawing to the right. The arrow
shows how the aluminum brake pawl pivots into the teeth of the blade.
The brake pawl is part of a replaceable cartridge that includes the
spring, fuse wire and electronics necessary to burn the fuse wire.
An optional dado cartridge provides the same protection for dado
cuts.

I wonder how easy it is to change to the dado blade set and cartridge?

I don't suppose they do a wobble blade.

Supposedly changing to the dado cartridge is just a matter of changing
the cartridge like you would do if the saw triggered, and since the
major difference is that the dado cartridge is for a smaller diameter
blade it should work fine with a wobble dado as long as it's 8" diameter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDosser" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

But the saw stop technology does not stop kick back which is still a real
thread if the riving knife is not used, like during a dado operation.

Does the SawStop work at all with a dado blade or dado set?

Yes there is a special cartridge and the SawStop works even after you have
turned the motor off. When I first learned about the SawStop about 10 years
ago I inquired to see if it works during coast down. It does.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"LDosser" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

But the saw stop technology does not stop kick back which is still
a real thread if the riving knife is not used, like during a dado
operation.

Does the SawStop work at all with a dado blade or dado set?

Yes there is a special cartridge and the SawStop works even after you
have turned the motor off. When I first learned about the SawStop
about 10 years ago I inquired to see if it works during coast down. It
does.

Interesting idea. Several years ago, our betters decreed that a washing
machine must stop its spin cycle within just few seconds (I think three or
five) after the lid is opened. Wonder why the safety mavens haven't decreed
similar for table saws and the like?

Shhh! Don't tell anybody!

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Interesting idea. Several years ago, our betters decreed that a
washing machine must stop its spin cycle within just few seconds (I
think three or five) after the lid is opened. Wonder why the safety
mavens haven't decreed similar for table saws and the like?

Yeah - no kiddin'. I just hate it when I open the lid on my table saw and
it don't stop spinning. ****es me right off.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:51:43 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

On Mar 13, 7:53*pm, "LDosser" wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...wstop_saw_brak...

Some of the comments track remarkably with what has been said here.

This is absolutely frightening. That a small number of lawyers and
liberal courts can make decisions like this.

Also frightening is the comment made by the high school teacher who
has them in his shop.

"Two of them have been in John Stearns' woodshop class at Amity High
School. Stearns applied for grants to pay for two SawStop saws in
2008, which cost $7,400, about three times the price of other brands.
"I would pay twice as much for those saws to keep my kids from losing
their fingers," Stearns said. "Those two kids walked away without a
scratch. That's amazing. I don't know if I would go back to any other
saw."

I know his intentions are good. But the kids who walk out of his shop
class are not going to be scared enough. It used to **** me off when
my high school shop teacher yelled about safety. I understand now.

If they start filling the schools with that technology, guess
what...............

RonB

Courts awarded the plaintiff 1.5 million dollars in the case against
Ryobi. No wonder this country is going in debt. Stupid is profitble.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

" writes:

On Mar 15, 2:44Â*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
On 3/15/2010 3:23 PM, Max wrote:

"hex" wrote
As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread
tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new
cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the
wallet -- just like real life.

hex
-30-

Now there's a worthwhile suggestion.

The trouble is it ends up a pain in Daddy's wallet because most kids
don't have that much money that they've earned.

Nothing wrong with that. Daddy can then extract his pound...

.....Assuming there is a Dad present, of course.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:45:31 -0400, Maxwell Lol wrote:

" writes:

On Mar 15, 2:44*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
On 3/15/2010 3:23 PM, Max wrote:

"hex" wrote
As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread
tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new
cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the
wallet -- just like real life.

hex
-30-

Now there's a worthwhile suggestion.

The trouble is it ends up a pain in Daddy's wallet because most kids
don't have that much money that they've earned.

Nothing wrong with that. Daddy can then extract his pound...

....Assuming there is a Dad present, of course.

If there is no daddy, then it's pretty hard to be a pain to daddy's wallet,
no?