Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

Default Saw Stop - Oregon

On Mar 14, 11:41*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

. 207.165...

Does anyone remember the Mercedes Benz commercials about 10 to 15 years
ago where an MB engineer mentions the fact that they were the ones who
developed air-bag technology for their cars. He is asked why they did not
patent the invention and instead shared the technology with other car
manufacturers. He replies that "some inventions are too important not to
share". It seems to me that the Saw Stop people could do the same by
allowing their technology to be used by others at a small fixed price per
unit and still make a nice return on their design.

Just wondering...

Steve

Actually before even attempting to build the SawStop the inventors did
indeed offer the license to the other manufacturers. *They of course having
poor insight turnd down the offer.

IIRC, lawyers were at the heart of the decision to turn down the
technology. Paraphrasing: "If you put this technology in some of your
saws, then you are admitting that the rest are inherently
dangerous." What frosted me was that the fine folks at SawStop
tried to use the Consumer Product Safety folks to jam this down our
throats.

Neither side was right; consumers get hosed; typical state of
affairs.

As far as the "don't make shop too safe" part of this whole thread
tree. How about this: make the kids who trigger the safety buy new
cartridges and new blades. That is, make the mistake a pain in the
wallet -- just like real life.

hex
-30-